SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#300880 - 12/14/10 04:03 PM Zap! YOUR DEAD...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Winter in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. is a lousy time of year. Today's high temperature in northeastern Maryland was a brisk 19 degrees with winds punching in from the northwest at 35 to 45 MPH. Damned that's cold!

While there was a light dusting of snow this morning, it didn't amount to much and the wind blew most of it off the roads. However, when I got to my job, which started at 12:30 p.m., the heat was running full blast and the large hall was still fairly chilly, about 65 degrees. Other than a parquet dance-floor, most of the room is carpeted with nylon carpeting. Walk across the carpet this time of year, especially while wearing leather-soled shoes, and you've built up a static electricity charge that rivals a cop's Taser. Because of this, I always grasp a key tightly between my forefinger and thumb and discharge the static on the steel frame of my keyboard stool. The spark created by this today was nearly an inch long and snapped so loud you could actually hear it through the PA system.

Years ago I did some research on static electricity discharges from human behavior and its effect on sensitive electronic equipment. Keep in mind that the electrical charge ranges from 4,000 to 35,000-volts--a hefty blast when its between the end of your finger and a ground point. That ground point can be anything that's grounded, TV set, PC, PA system, arranger keyboard, synth, etc... My research was medical, mainly trying to determine if someone with a pacemaker was at risk if they were to experience a static discharge shock. Early on, the answer was a resounding yes. In more recent times, however, pacemakers have been modified to prevent most of these problems. Higher current levels, however, will have some effect, even on the newest pacemakers. As entertainers, our equipment is still at risk for damage from static discharges.

Food for thought,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300881 - 12/14/10 06:18 PM Re: Zap! YOUR DEAD...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I always knew you could light up a room when you walked into it.

Cheers,

Joe

#300882 - 12/14/10 11:04 PM Re: Zap! YOUR DEAD...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a girlfriend once who would light up a room when she LEFT it.
Good advice though Gary.
DonM

#300883 - 12/15/10 02:31 AM Re: Zap! YOUR DEAD...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yes, good advice for sure. I worked in systems test at EMC the company that makes refrigerator/coke machine size computer storage devices. Part of what we did in systems test was to add/remove circuit boards and hard drives and test them before the units were delivered to customers. To prevent damage via static electricity to components that in some cases were worth thousands of dollars everyone had to wear heel grounders. You wouldn't want to wear these to a gig though Well maybe you could but they'd probably call the authorities to take you away.

[

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 12-15-2010).]

#300884 - 12/15/10 08:43 AM Re: Zap! YOUR DEAD...
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Gary - I always knew your shows were "Electrifying"....but this is a new twist! HA HA!

Thanks for the insight! I'm noticing a few sparks here and there with the onset of the cold here in FL as well. Have a great and safe (static-free!) holiday!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#300885 - 12/15/10 08:55 PM Re: Zap! YOUR DEAD...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I had a girlfriend once who would light up a room when she LEFT it.
Good advice though Gary.
DonM

Now you have to like ex girlfriends like that.

JOe

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online