SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#299059 - 11/08/10 08:46 PM iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Just a few of the MANY MANY cool iPad Music Production Apps (includes YouTube demo links ) to perhaps peek your iPad interest:

iPad Music Production Apps

Ultra Cool music making apps for iPhone/iPad

Touch OSC for the iPad Demo

SoundHound App

Song recorded entirely using FourTrack on iPhone

iPad Accordion

Blue Mikey,iPhone+ FourTrack App used to Record Song

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-08-2010).]

#299060 - 11/09/10 12:03 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland

#299061 - 11/09/10 02:12 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Scot, another question please....Do you think an iPad with 16gig memory is enough?

Seems the 32 and 64gig models are a LOT more expensive.

I would need to store about 800 charts, approx 450 midis and 300 MP3's

Thanks
Dennis

#299062 - 11/09/10 03:22 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
Scottyee Offline

Dennis, unless you need to store a lot of memory hungry video on the ipad, I'd say 16Gb should be ok if primarliy for music sheets, small library of MP3s, and a few ipad apps. It took me a long time to fill my 64 Gb model, but I've got everything except the kitchen sink stored on it.

If you to the 16Gb route though, I recommend AirVideo & Audio Galaxy apps, which allows you to 'live stream' video and audio residing (stored) on your desktop PC to the iPad (via wifi). Very cool & useful apps.

#299063 - 11/09/10 03:36 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Dennis, unless you need to store a lot of memory hungry video on the ipad, I'd say 16Gb should be ok if primarliy for music sheets, small library of MP3s, and a few ipad apps. It took me a long time to fill my 64 Gb model, but I've got everything except the kitchen sink stored on it.

If you to the 16Gb route though, I recommend AirVideo & Audio Galaxy apps, which allows you to 'live stream' video and audio residing (stored) on your desktop PC to the iPad (via wifi). Very cool & useful apps.

Hi Scott,

Thanks m8

Since you started posting about the iPad, I have been doing lots of research, and looking at your pics, it seems the screen size might actually be okay. Oc course I was also looking at the height of my laptop as opposed to the iPad, and I agree with you the pad is far less intrusive

I am about to pull the trigger on one I think...I have just found the Line 6 MIDI interface so this then enables me to transmit MIDI.

And looking at those apps others have described in other threads, and the ones you have described makes the Music Reader app I am using seem pretty expensive.

Are the any apps you can recommend that are easy to use to convert/edit existing files? I have mostly BMP and JPEG/TIFF.

Can you advise, in your experience, the best program to setup playlists (MP3 and SMF)?

I am getting excited about this

I have looked very thoroughly at the available and coming Android based machines, and not only are the screen sizes very similar, they Androids apps are no-where near as functional....

Sorry, LOL, one last question..How do you go with actually turning pages on the iPad? Can an external device be connected?

Again thanks for your wonderful advice and help.

Dennis

#299064 - 11/09/10 05:21 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

Are the any apps you can recommend that are easy to use to convert/edit existing files? I have mostly BMP and JPEG/TIFF.

I personally recommend GoodReader , not only because it natively supports the formats you mentioned, but because it offers very useful page cropping options not included in the other apps mentioned, and costs only $1.99. The app supports creating folders & subfolders to easily custom organize your music in any way. I create separate folders for: fakebooks, country, rock, swing, etc, and then create separate A-F, G-K, etc sub-folders making it easy to call up any song quickly.

In addition to music, you can store & organize & display lots of other digital material (magazines, pdf ebbooks, etc in GoodReader. In fact, since most all hardware & software owner's manuals are now available in digital PDF format, I've now got my entire collection of owners manuals conveniently stored on the iPad to conveniently read at a moments notice. No more searching around the house when I need to look anything up.

Quote:

Can you advise, in your experience, the best program to setup playlists (MP3 and SMF)?

On the iPad right? For MP3s, this can be easily done in iTunes, or on the iPad itself. The iPad doesn't support SMF midi playback quite yet, but with iPad's soon approaching OS 4.2 release version (just a few days from now) of which includes MIDI support, I'm pretty certain it will quickly become available, and include ability to create SMF playlists as well.

Quote:

How do you go with actually turning pages on the iPad?

The iPad Touch Screen is very intuitive. In GoodReader: Page forward , swipe or tap right side of screen; Page back, swipe or tap left side of screen. You can also quickly scroll to a specific page, especially useful for large documents (ei: fakebooks).

Quote:

Can an external device be connected?

With new iPad OS 4.2 version and optional USB to iPad camera connection kit, you'll be able to connect peripherals (midi controllers, etc) directly to the iPad if a specific app you're running supports it. That said, you typically transfer files (pdfs, tiffs, BMPS, jpegs) from your PC to the iPad via free Apple iTunes software & the associated app window within.

Ok, that's all for now. Good luck and have fun,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-09-2010).]

#299065 - 11/09/10 06:21 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
miden Offline

Thanks Scott...

Although there IS now a hardware device that allows MIDI in/out check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz9e7D_-Dbw

I mentioned it above and its called the Line 6 Midi Mobiliser...Supposedly for iPhone, iPod...but the guy demoing it is using an iPad and says it works fine.

Dennis

#299066 - 11/09/10 08:04 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
Scottyee Offline

The full implementation of MIDI finally with iPad OS 4.2 (release version due out in only a few days) will substantially increase the potential of music sequencing programs on the iPad. There are currently some good iPad/iPhone multi-track sequencer apps like ( MultiTrack DAW , and Four Track , but they're restricted to 'audio' track recording only. With 4.2 OS midi implementaion, it should be only a short time (if that) before these apps will be adding the ability to rec midi tracks as well, and perhaps including GM/GS/XG midi sound fonts. It's really exiting to potentially have the recording features of Cakewalk Sonar and Cubase on an iPad soon.

#299067 - 11/09/10 08:45 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
miden Offline

What do you think of that Line 6 device Scott?

#299068 - 11/09/10 08:59 PM Re: iPad/iPhone Music Production Apps !
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
It's really exiting to potentially have the recording features of Cakewalk Sonar and Cubase on an iPad soon.

Yeah I totally agree, I think I should have jumped onto the iPad bandwagon ages ago to be honest.

Just imagine say an app similar to Live being able to control an entire show form the iPad...

Or as you said Sonar, or Pro Tools or similar..

Just to let you know I went for the happy medium and ordered the 32gig version

Plus I ordered the Line 6 Midi device. I might now check out the Music Reader iPad version, but I suspect I will be deciding on the specific iPad apps you suggested.

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online