SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#297126 - 10/20/10 08:19 AM A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
I've always enjoyed the spirited discussions on this forum and have been educated as well as entertained. Many of you perform live and I know what that's like having played Tenor Sax in a band for many years. A little over 2 years ago I sold my Conn 10m and bought a keyboard and my musical life has been transformed.

From my perspective I think there are so many wonderful boards. I don't believe there is one that is the best. It really is relative to your personal needs and music. I have a Tyros 3 mostly because I thought it had the best tenor sound and a few other acoustic instruments that were excellent.
It was a difficult choice for me between the T3 and the PA2x. I never saw a G70 so I couldn't compare but video demos of that instrument show it is a very dynamic sounding instrument. If I had the cash I'd own all three plus a Motif XF and an M3. I love keyboards and the technology available is so exciting for someone like me who wants to compose and record their works.

What a different musical life I have now from just playing a sax in my study to commanding an entire armada of sounds.

This is a wonderful time to be a musician.

joe

[This message has been edited by Joesax (edited 10-20-2010).]
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#297127 - 10/20/10 08:51 AM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Joesax:
This is a wonderful time to be a musician.

joe

I agree, Joe...all keyboards have really come a long way in the last decade, especially arrangers.

A person can surely find something to fit their needs with the vast array of models and features.

One of my first arrangers was a Yamaha PS-6100, that cost over $2000 back in 1984 or so, had 32 styles and 64 or so voices.

Now we have hundreds of voices and styles and all kinds of great features.

It sure is a great time.

Ian

#297128 - 10/20/10 09:13 AM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Joe:

Welcome to the "Zone." You are absolutely right. It's a great time to be involved in music... but it's a terrible time to be a songwriter. Too many shared files and just a ton of competition... approximately 45,000 songwriters worldwide... and that number changes daily. Your point is very well made... and taken. We have so many tools available today... makes you wonder what Hank Williams might have done with a great Arranger "Board?"

Dave Rice
http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#297129 - 10/20/10 09:41 AM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Riceroni9:
... but it's a terrible time to be a songwriter. Too many shared files and just a ton of competition... approximately 45,000 songwriters worldwide...

Dave, FWIW, I think your number is low. I have heard there are that many in Nashville alone. I'm not exaggerating. Whether it's true or not, I dunno.

But the odds of getting a cut are about zero, anyway, so, it's not a terrible time to be a songwriter, it's a terrible time to try to get a cut!

#297130 - 10/20/10 11:02 AM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Joesax Offline

My expectations are different. While I would love to have my music published I know the odds are against me. At this time I just have so much music I want to write now that I have the capability to bring it to life. My objective is it to do the best I can creatively, build up a library of work, record it and make it available for download ,free, from the Internet via, Myspace and YouTube and share it with as many people as I can and hope they get as much pleasure listening as I do creating.
www.myspace.com/jfrtunes
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#297131 - 10/20/10 11:47 AM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Bill and Joe:

I think the Nashville number is much lower but Marc Alan Barnette came up with the 45,000 estimate. I know that it changes daily... new folks start writing and old writers finally throw the towel in. I'm interested in being in the game for money. I'm busy seeking talented artists to sing my songs and my budget is very tight after my 401k tanked... so I sing my own demos.

If you can get a song on the charts, you'll make money and the "fleeting fame" will take care of itself.

Joe... I think your objective is quite noble but it tends to "water down" the possibility of other songwriters and artists selling their CDs and digital downloads. B-T-W... it's easy to become a publisher of your own work. Just register with ASCAP and follow their rules. (I suspect they would not look kindly on your giving your music away although a freebie or two sometimes is like throwing bait into a pond full of catfish...LOL!) I don't attempt to represent others with my little publishing company. Too much paperwork and the taxes get messy. Good luck with your music.

Dave

#297132 - 10/20/10 12:17 PM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Joesax Offline

Dave:

Artist have been successful by giving away their music at first. Some groups have asked listeners to pay whatever they thought it was worth. The realities of the music business today is that, as an unknown, you need to create an audience first for your work by making it available free. If you can build that audience over time some will be willing to pay for your next effort. The Internet, itunes, etc have changed the dynamics. It's a new world.

Joe

#297133 - 10/20/10 03:48 PM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Joe:

I listened to one of your compositions and was duly impressed. Very nice work. I hope your music path takes you exactly where you want to go.

Dave

#297134 - 10/21/10 07:33 AM Re: A New Poster's Perspective on Keyboards
Joesax Offline

Thanks Dave. Best of luck to you as well.

Joe

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online