SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#290929 - 08/07/10 08:57 PM What happened to the music?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Donny's recent topic reminded me of this article full of "comments" I had on my desk about: What happened to the music?

Lucky

MTV announced their list of Video Music Award nominees, and Lady Gaga led the pack with her video, "Bad Romance" nominated for almost every category.

One member, CowgirlE, zinged not only Lady Gaga but also the people who like her, with a tongue-in-cheek comment:

Lady gag me.....ick!!! It's disturbing to think there are people out there who love her videos. They might have some drug problems of their own! =p Disgusting.

This begs the question, then: What music do you like? Who should be honored for this year's Music Video awards?

FURTHER COMMENTS:

Any of the 80s bands that still tour (Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Level 42) deserve to be honored a lot more than most of the crap they play on the radio.
Music died after the R&B boy band ands gangsta rap surge in the mid 90s. And it turned over in its grave when Flavor Flav had his own reality show ("We gonna sell out? Hell no!" the lyrics on ITANOMTHUB say, oh how quickly we forget)

Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Level 42 they suck....Come to Austin for real music and go home.

I think when Kurt Cobain died it went straight to hell from there. When is the last time a great new guitarist or drummer hit the scene? It is all about image today and American Idol is largely to blame. You would think that with all the thousands of people who have tried out and the hundreds who have made it to the later stages that you would be able to find at least one artist who would have a lasting presence. Unfortunately, no.

look....even Frank Zappa went to Julliard.
The majority of the crap out there is by untrained, low-skilled 'musicians' who lack the basics. Its junk you will never hear again five years from now.
My favorite is RAP. Bang on a drum, steal riffs from other songs and abuse the english language and women for three to four minutes at a shot.

ZAPPA RULES!

I agree Kurt Cobain was the last of real talent, I'm young but I can't stand the music from my generation, I don't like the stage shows with some dumb girl who can't sing wearing a mic with a bunch of stupid dancers behind her that is just so overdone, and don't get me started on Rap. I don't look at award shows and I'm still not sure of the sex of Lady Ga. Ga

Can't stand Lady Gaga's music, but gotta give her credit for actually getting people talking about music videos again. When was the last time people even talked about them. MTV hasn't shown one in 10 years or so.

It is one of those things where bad press (Lady Gaga) is better than no press. Hopefully it helps some real musicians get noticed.

August 1,1981 was the beginning of the end.That's the date MTV first aired.Musicians forgot that sound is most important.

Exactly why is KISS not in Cleveland in the rock n roll hof? I have been 4 times and never again. Kiss should be in the HOF, as should Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, and a whole bunch of other bands that have inspired generations. But they all get snubbed for Madonna? How is she Rock N Roll? It doesn't surprise me since the HOF inductees are decided by a bunch of tone deaf retards who only vote for their personal favorite artists. Maybe someone should create a HOF whose inductees are decided by the fans.... I guarantee you the results would be much different

Yes sir exactly. Boycott the HOF.

The Hall of Fame is a sham and Johnny ("Lydon") Rotten said it best, "Once you want to be put into a museum, Rock & Roll's over; it's not voted by fans, it's voted by people who induct you, or others; people who are already in it." It's whatever Jann Wenner wants and will be as long as he's around. Don't forget too, Kiss may not be in it yet, because Gene needs to come up with a Kiss concept to sell more of their brand. I'm suprised Kiss hasn't marketed vaginal cream yet, or maybe they have. I would support and vote on fan based system.

The Gaga videos are clearly SATANIC. I cannot deny that her tunes are very catchy, but a few of the videos accompanying her catchy melodies are absolutely sickening to watch. The videos are a reflection of the SICK minds, hers and Akerland's included, that have created such SATANIC, BLASPHEMOUS videos. Those who see similarities to Madonna, another who used shock to get attention, are partially correct. But those who dismiss Lady Demon Spawn as nothing more than "Madonna-lite" are quite wrong. This 'lady' (and I use the term very loosely here) is much more EXTREME than Madonna ever was.

I fear for the many young children and many adults, too, who watch this alleged "art" without realizing they are being de-sensitized to satanism and blasphemy on a daily basis. Gaga and the music industry are brainwashing the masses to think such demonic behavior is actually quite glamorous and desirable. If these cowards had any guts at all, I say let them attack Allah, Mohammed, Islam, and Muslims. And then see what happens to them ...

They won't though, because Gaga and her ilk in the music industry are a bunch of SICK, EVIL COWARDS who are too scared to go after Islam, and choose to attack only the Christian faiths.

'Music' the last 20 years has deteriorated so badly, all the groups had to come up with a 'visual' show to hide their lack of talent.

I may be showing my age here, but Clapton or Zappa never had to wear costumes to please their audiences; the music came thru load and clear all by itself.

Lady Gaga, Madonna etc have no musical talent.

I'm a big Zappa fan; now if you want great talent, check out G3.

Punk delivered the initial assault on musical competence. MTV escalated the attack. American Idol dropped the A-bomb. Musical talent doesn't matter anymore. It hasn't mattered in an across the board way for at least 30 years. Any American musician with any talent is making their money overseas in countries were musical craftsmanship isn't a source of contempt.

#290930 - 08/07/10 09:07 PM Re: What happened to the music?
Dnj Offline

Lucky good post with many true statements...BUT the sad thing is it's too late 30 yrs is a long time to ruin something there's much more to this problem and we all know it. Money & Greedy producers & Promoters are the big culprits and the feeding frenzy of concert goers no matter what venue or price it is, lady gaga prince poppycock or whoever the newest craze is what has changed & splintered the world wide the music scene or what ever the next millions are being made verses the quality of the music offered.....at this stage of the game it ain't ever gonna be the way it was years ago let's face it.....just chose your slice of the pie and enjoy it while we're here.... !

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-07-2010).]

#290931 - 08/07/10 09:32 PM Re: What happened to the music?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Simple solution: if you don't like it, don't listen to it. Works for me.

You know, there are many kinds of Rap, not only Gangsta rap. They even have Christian rap.

Anyway, what you're saying is most likely what your parents were saying about your kind of music. It's a generational thing.

"I fear for the many young children and many adults, too, who watch this alleged "art" without realizing they are being de-sensitized to satanism and blasphemy on a daily basis. Gaga and the music industry are brainwashing the masses to think such demonic behavior is actually quite glamorous and desirable. If these cowards had any guts at all, I say let them attack Allah, Mohammed, Islam, and Muslims. And then see what happens to them ...

They won't though, because Gaga and her ilk in the music industry are a bunch of SICK, EVIL COWARDS who are too scared to go after Islam, and choose to attack only the Christian faiths."

And that would make you happy? How many Muslims have personally harmed you? Attacking a faith would be fine as long as they don't touch yours? How many times do you want history to repeat itself?

Be careful what you wish for.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#290932 - 08/08/10 02:40 AM Re: What happened to the music?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
I'm a big Zappa fan; now if you want great talent, check out G3.

Have you seen Dweezil Zappa's Zappa-Plays-Zappa that has been touring over recent years. http://zappaplayszappa.com They are an awesome band, Frank would be so glad his son is carrying on the Zappa tradition. Dweezil plays a choice selection of Frank Zappa compositons from over his career. This is no mere tribute band, they really are the latest incarnation of the "Mothers Of Invention". And they have mastered so many Zappa compositions it is truly amazing. Each time I have seen them they have played completely different sets of Zappa material. Dweezil looks more and more like his Dad as he gets older. Plus he plays all his Dad's guitar parts with unbelievable expertise and sensitivity.

If you like Frank Zappa then Zappa-Plays-Zappa is an absolute must see/hear whenever they are in your area next. Many of the musicians Dweezil has play with him are ex-Mothers Of Invention. I think this is the best band in the world today. Recently I bought tickets for all my bandmates so they would experience Zappa. They were blown away. By the way I have seen Frank live on both the Apostrophe (which featured jazz greats George Duke on keys and Jean Luc Ponty on electric violin ) and Overnite Sensation tours so I do know the Mothers Of Invention. While it is so sad we lost Frank he left his music in very capable hands.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-08-2010).]

#290933 - 08/09/10 09:10 AM Re: What happened to the music?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree completely, Nigel. And, every time I get discouraged about the current stuff, a little "gem" is produced. A John Mayer (I know; he's kind of a jerk), Orianthi, John Legend, Corine Bailey Ray, Maroon Five or the like comes along to make me feel that, in some form or another, great music will survive.

All around good post, folks!

Russ

#290934 - 08/09/10 10:29 AM Re: What happened to the music?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I don't get it...last night at our Sunday night gig...we had a good crowd, and around the 3rd set.. we had a request for Lady Gaga.
Now our audience are 40 -50 year old..
So we did a couple Lady songs..."Romance" and "pokerface"..
The people went nuts...standing ovation..Me....I hate the whole music concept of the songs...Our "girl" singer likes to do this stuff once in a while (50 something.. )...I rather listen to this Lady Gaga songs ..only when she is(Lady Gaga) performing (video)...even then 2 songs is enough...

Longivity ... no way...The greats from the 40's , 50's and 60's..will remain..even some 70's (not many)....but 80's on..only a chosen few...They won't be referred to ..as the "Standards" or "oldies"...

Another tell tale way of knowing it isn't worth playing...I hate to play any song that has one chord..

#290935 - 08/09/10 03:12 PM Re: What happened to the music?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I agree with Fran. All the great standards and many jazz tunes will be played by real musicians forever. For me Ray Charles sang, played piano and alto sax and did an excellent performance on each.

Someone who just sings, or plays an instrument only would be hard for me to compare to him. IMHO

#290936 - 08/09/10 06:57 PM Re: What happened to the music?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe that Lady GaGa will be around about as long as Grunge music, and Tiny Tim with Tip Toe Through The Tulips. They both have about the same appeal--a short-lived fad at best. If it were not for the weird makeup and showing lots of flesh, Lady GaGa would be history. Same holds true for lots of other current entertainers.

I have young ladies in some of my audiences that are in their 20s and 30s asking for Sinatra songs. For me, especially in my part of the world, 50s, 60s, 70s and some early 80s stuff rules. Country and country rock is the big draw south of the Mason/Dixon Line. We recently had a Willie Nelson concert at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and just a few hours after the tickets went on sale they were sold out.

I guess this old man has found his niche and for the time being I'll stick with it. I figure that long after the weird makeup and tight bodies have withered away true artists and musicians will still be popular. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#290937 - 08/09/10 08:59 PM Re: What happened to the music?
Dnj Offline

I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds md 1969 US ARMY !

#290938 - 08/10/10 02:25 PM Re: What happened to the music?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I agree completely, Nigel. And, every time I get discouraged about the current stuff, a little "gem" is produced. A John Mayer (I know; he's kind of a jerk),

Yeah, I know John can sometimes come across like that but I don't think it is intentional. He is a great singer/songwriter and his guitar playing is sooooo tasty. And what makes me have a lot of respect for him is that I have also seen him just playing guitar in other lineups where he is more than happy to not be the star and simply be the guitar player for someone else.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online