SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#290138 - 07/13/10 03:11 PM It's a MIRACLE!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well maybe not up to this level......

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
... as an act of obedience he went over to the piano and started to play. And instantly he started to play like a professional jazz musician.

but.....my PA1x DID spontaneously come back to life while I was waiting for a new HD that I ordered on the 'net. As I previously posted, one day I just turned it on and the HD didn't show up. Upon advice from SZ members, I re-seated the ribbon, but without success. I closed it up and would try it once a day to see if it might 'heal itself' while I was waiting for another drive. No joy. Then it started to not boot all the way up. THEN, yesterday morning I just decided to leave it on (in a 'frozen while booting up' state. Went to the john and when I came back, it was fully booted and the HD had returned. Everything worked perfectly and has continued to work perfectly for the last several days. Gotta be a loose connection or solder joint somewhere but in the meantime, I'm back in business, baby. I'm thinking about backing it up .

I have named it Hey-soose (spelled phonetically so as not to offend anyone) in honor of it's miraculous resurrection. Just bringing you up to date. How's yours coming, Rikki?

chas

#290139 - 07/13/10 09:04 PM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That's great news Chas. And yes it makes it sound like the problem is a connection or solder joint so is probably not too serious.

#290140 - 07/14/10 12:29 AM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
hey chas . I am glad your Pax is up and running. hope you continue to make great music with this incredible instrument.

#290141 - 07/14/10 12:37 AM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Chas
It depends how smart the Korg OS is, it may have detected a data fault with the HDD, and like any computer initialised a Disk Check to locate and fix the problem. (If it has internal backup it could also sort out the internal OS chip as well)
Just a thought

Bill

#290142 - 07/14/10 04:32 AM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
cgiles Offline

Bill, I hope you're right but with my luck, it'll be the solder joint (and in the most inaccessible place ). Scratch that, gotta think positive. Anyhow, thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. Hope Rikki comes out of this (screen problem) without too much of a beating. I've had good luck with Korg (Trinity, Triton, o1W, 015R/W, i5M) over the years and never a problem with reliability. Of course, that's also been true of Roland and Yamaha. Gotta admit, equipment reliability has been darn good among ALL the majors with few exceptions. As musicians, we're pretty lucky in this regard, given the enormous amount of electric/electronic 'stuff' we carry on stage with us.

Oh, and Spalding, you're right; this is an incredible sounding instrument. I keep comparing it's drums, especially, to other things I have (Alesis DM10, Fantom G7, Motif, JamStix 3.0, etc.) and it holds it's own with most of them; in fact, it's always the first (scratch) track when I'm trying something out.

BTW, anybody want to buy a spare IDE HD? Oh wait, I'm being a little cocky now? Today, I'm entering a new phase of my life, I'm going to back up my data .

chas

#290143 - 07/14/10 11:06 AM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
124 Offline

Count me in on the Korg fan list. Ten years gigging with an i30 with one EC5 switch replacement (Korg sent me two, no charge), and now a Pa1XPro. Built like ruddy tanks, and great drums, as you say, Chas.

#290144 - 07/14/10 10:13 PM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chas,
that's fantastic news.
I wouldn't THINK about backing it up, for goodness sake DO IT. Wasn't that enough of a scare for you. haahaa.

For me, not so good news. Even though the touch screen still works, it's not useable if I can't see the info. Can't beleive the complete unit has to be replaced at a cost of around $700. I think this will be my last Korg. It's basically never been moved, home use only, & the screen died while it wasn't even being used. Not impressive for a keyboard that's only just over 2 years old, or maybe I've just been lucky over the years. Either way, it's taken the gloss off owning it.

I'm really pleased for you though.
Do that backup.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I'm back in business, baby. I'm thinking about backing it up .

How's yours coming, Rikki?

chas

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#290145 - 07/15/10 04:30 AM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Either way, it's taken the gloss off owning it.

Understandable. I just like the Korg styles so much better than the others (for the type of music that I like to play), but it does make you wonder if their quality control may have slipped a bit in the last couple of years. There is Spalding (minor problem that could happen to any of them.....but usually doesn't), Don Mason (teething pain problems OOTB), the early problems with the PA2x, me, you, and I believe, several others here. Let's hope these are just anomalies 'cause I really do like Korg keyboards. Like you, I have had so few problems over the years that when it happens, it's a real bummer. Right now, I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb and I sure don't like that feeling.

In your case (clearly a defective part), I would hope that Korg would 'man up' and do the right thing. Sadly, there are only a few companies left (David Clark headsets, Bose) that would take care of this, no questions asked. You have probably already done this, but if not, take your case directly to Korg; you never know. Good luck.

chas

#290146 - 07/16/10 10:46 PM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I think Korg have been having substantial Quality control problems in the new set of Pa keyboards from the PA800 to the PA 2X. I cant remember a time that i have heard of so many hardware problems with the Korg in a long time before these models. I think they have probably cut one or two corners too many in an attempt to reduce their build costs. To be fair my Pax has only given me a few problems but i gig heavily with it and throw it around a bit when packing away and setting up so it has stood up pretty well considering the heavy use.

#290147 - 07/19/10 01:00 AM Re: It's a MIRACLE!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chas,
they do seem to be having some problems.

Mine's off to be repaired, should get it back by end of the week.

Hubby just wanted to get it fixed, to try & wipe the sour puss look off my face. haahaa
(I think he would have paid double)

For the type of music I like, Yammie styles are probably more suitable, but I luv the Korg style creation functions.

Anyway, have you backed up that Korg of your's yet. Miracles don't happen too often.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Understandable. I just like the Korg styles so much better than the others (for the type of music that I like to play), but it does make you wonder if their quality control may have slipped a bit in the last couple of years. There is Spalding (minor problem that could happen to any of them.....but usually doesn't), Don Mason (teething pain problems OOTB), the early problems with the PA2x, me, you, and I believe, several others here. Let's hope these are just anomalies 'cause I really do like Korg keyboards. Like you, I have had so few problems over the years that when it happens, it's a real bummer. Right now, I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb and I sure don't like that feeling.

In your case (clearly a defective part), I would hope that Korg would 'man up' and do the right thing. Sadly, there are only a few companies left (David Clark headsets, Bose) that would take care of this, no questions asked. You have probably already done this, but if not, take your case directly to Korg; you never know. Good luck.

chas

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online