SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289694 - 06/29/10 02:57 PM I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
My wife’s laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, M65-S9092 w/windows XPMedia Center Edition with a 17 inch screen.
A few months ago it started getting some horizontal green streaks that would follow the curser around and on different screens if they were all white then it would be mostly this light green. Microsoft spent a lot of effort and escalated to their top engineers but couldn’t resolve this problem. Wife lived with it and got used to it.
This week, when she would close the cover for a time and then use the mouse to bring it out of sleep, the screen would be lighted by gray and nothing on it. She would do a warm reboot and then it would be normal till next time. This happened a few times and then it would not open anything but a lighted grey screen. I tried all the standard things but nothing would bring up the desktop.
I got out another monitor and plugged it into the laptop. I booted the laptop and up came the gray lighted screen on the laptop but the monitor had the complete desktop on it, with the curser and it was operable.
Next I right clicked on the desk top and went to display then settings. It was set up for only the lap top screen. I then changed the setting to two screens and I then lost all the icons on the desktop and also the small icons on the bottom of the screen leaving just a black frame around the external monitor. Nothing changed on the lap top screen but in tipping it toward me I could see that it appeared to be doing something when I moved the mouse around or clicked it. It looked like the desktop had narrowed down to maybe an inch wide and varied to ½ inch wide, and these vertical streaks were very pale light blue. I tried all the things I know about or could think of but nothing would change. I finally shut it down and set up a standby Sony Vail desktop for her to use while I figure out what to fix in this laptop. It is pretty hard to do anything with out a desktop.
I wonder if the screen has gone bad or the graphic card? I can see the hard drive operating on boot up so that seems to be ok.
I do have a full back up of this computer on a freestanding Seagate hard drive, but it is unable to access the laptop.
I think I put 5 partitions on this laptop when it was new 4 ½ years ago using partition Magic. I have two emergency start discs I made from the partition Magic after partitioning on floppys. I plugged in a usb floppy drive but still couldn’t access the laptop with those emergency start discs.
I do have the Toshiba Recovery and applications/drivers DVD for this computer but I don’t want to format the hard drive and reinstall all the factory programs it came with as that would loose all her programs and data.
I am at the end of my knowledge. I hope Abacus Bill or someone also as knowledgeable as he is will have some ideas to try with this laptop before I give up completely,
Thanks for any help or advice.
Bebop . my email addy is in my info here.
Should also have written that this computer is 4 years old and it cost over 2000.00 new. I also bought another at the same time that was 2970.00 USD. It is still operating ok but with far less hours on it. Only used on trips where as wife's is used every day. All her programs, data, and saved emails are on it so I hate to toss it and feel like I need to fix it for her
thanks for all replies.

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 06-30-2010).]

#289695 - 06/29/10 04:29 PM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
That is almost certainly a hardware problem.

Most likely in the screen/screen driver, but since it also affects the outboard monitor it may indeed be in the video driver circuit.

Either case, something like that should be handled by a pro, with the mfr's repair likely being the faster turnaround choice due to parts procurement.

Or its time for a new lappy for the wife...

--Mac

[This message has been edited by --Mac (edited 06-29-2010).]
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#289696 - 06/30/10 12:02 AM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bebop
As Mac says this is definitely a graphics problem
If you can see the Bios and Boot up screens OK then it most likely a corrupted driver, however if the Bios/Boot up screen does not appear, then it is hardware, and requires the services of an engineer. (It may even just be a dodgy connection to the screen/connectors)

The Engineer will also be able to repair it without losing any data.

If it is beyond economic repair (It seems to be getting on a bit) the engineer will be able to copy all your data to an external drive which you can access using another computer.

You can also buy adapters to plug the Laptop HDD into (It’s normally just a couple of screws to remove) and copy the data yourself.
Hope this helps

Bill

#289697 - 06/30/10 04:57 AM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
Sapphire Offline

Loc: Benfleet, Essex. UK
Hi Bebop

I cannot see anywhere that you have tried to boot the laptop into SAFE mode. This is normally done by holding down the F8 key whilst booting and then follow the onscreen prompt. If it is successful you will get a screen resolution of 640*480 as the computer will load a very basic graphics driver and you will then be able to update your existing driver.
If after booting you still cannot see anything on screen then you probably have a hardware fault.

I hope I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs. Good luck

Alan

#289698 - 06/30/10 06:09 AM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
While it is connected to the external monitor, try using the hot keys to switch between the displays ( usually FN and one of the F-keys pressed together). However, there could also be a problem with the screen cable leading from the motherboard to the screen. I have seen these cable develop a short or just come unplugged. Furthermore, check the fans and exhaust ports on the bottom of laptop for DUST buildup. Dust will cause laptops to overheat and develop hardware failures.

#289699 - 06/30/10 06:15 AM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
clover_kid Offline

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
Hi Bebop

Sounds like hardware problem to me too. I would try switching to the external monitor only and not not using dual monitor setup. To switch or alternate between built in screen and external monitor is usually the function (Fn) key and the F8 (or some other f# key...should have a picture of the screen on it).

Also try to shine a flashlight on the laptop screen. If you can make out the desktop illuminated by the flashlight, that would indicate a bad backlight on the laptop. If that's the case, it's probably better to go for a new laptop than repair.

Good Luck

C_K

#289700 - 06/30/10 11:07 AM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
That is almost certainly a hardware problem.

Most likely in the screen/screen driver, but since it also affects the outboard monitor it may indeed be in the video driver circuit.

Either case, something like that should be handled by a pro, with the mfr's repair likely being the faster turnaround choice due to parts procurement.

Or its time for a new lappy for the wife...

--Mac

[This message has been edited by --Mac (edited 06-29-2010).]

Mac,

You are nearer to the mark MAC I don't know how old this PC is but I would say, hardware fault and too expensive to repair, it's cheaper to buy an new PC. You can get Laptops to last years but at £350.00 for one in the UK if it last 3 year it's not bad. I wouldn't waste too much time with it.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#289701 - 06/30/10 02:26 PM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
By the way, if you aren't going to fix it you can take the hard-drive out and hook it up to your desktop. That way you can transfer all emails and files that you want to keep. You will need an adapter which is fairly cheap on ebay ( IDE or SATA, but I am not sure which one it is in your laptop).

#289702 - 07/01/10 09:25 AM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Mac: thanks for your advice. It is not urgent as I have now set up a desktop for her to use. I want to repair this unit if possible as it was a high end unit over 2000 USDollars and has all her "Stuff" on it
Abacus Bill: thanks for your advice. I can bring up the bios and the boot screens on the external monitor but nothing on the laptop monitor. When I right clicked on the external monitor desktop and tried to actuate both monitors, I lost all the icons on the desktop and on the bar across the bottom. Only the background picture remains on the external monitor. What does this tell you?
Sapphire: thanks you for your advice. Yes I tried repeatedly to do a safe boot but it will not.
Hitman: thank you for your advice. I did try using the hot keys to switch between the displays ( usually FN and one of the F-keys pressed together). NO JOY Note that I have a complete backup of her computer on a free standing seagate hard drive. I wonder if I can restore from this hard drive back up to the desk top computer she is now using?????
Clover Kid: thank you for your advice. I have switched to the external monitor but only getting a picture of the background and no icons or menus, and only a curser there but of no use. the screen of the laptop is lit up but is all gray with nothing on it other then some very light blue streaks of various widths from 1/16th inch to about an inch.
Tony Hughes: Thank you for your advice. it is a high end computer that cost a lot and could not be replaced by a cheapo 350.00 laptop I can buy at a local electronic store. I really want to fix it but I don't want it to nickle and dime me to bankruptcy over the next periods of use.
Thank you to all who responded. I have a better understanding now of what I am dealing with. I guess I will just have to decide to bite the bullet and repair it or replace it. I have always fixed my own desk top computers over the last 25 years but I have never opened up a laptop.
Thanks to all,
Bebop

#289703 - 07/01/10 03:08 PM Re: I need help with a laptop computer problem, Please
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bebop
I would not recommend dismantling a Laptop as they are a pain to work on, however if you’re feeling brave the support section of the manufactures website usually has details of how to dismantle. (Just make sure you follow the instructions religiously)

From the descriptions you have given, my guess would be a dodgy connection, in particular in the ribbon cable that connects the Motherboard to the screen, (The fact that the laptop will work with an external monitor when the internal one disabled, proves the internal system is the problem) which looks like it may be shorting out.
A reputable repair engineer should be able to identify and fix it at minimal cost.
Hope this helps

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online