SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#273823 - 10/16/09 06:34 AM Cable Organizer
Beakybird Offline

I perform with three footswitches and four cables going from my footswitches to my PSR-S910 (See posts about Midi Solutions F1 Footswitch Controller). That's two going into the footswitch inputs and two going into the midi inputs.

Over the years, I had the two 1/4" cables tied together and the two midi cables tied together. It looked very sloppy.

At Home Depot, I came upon Buchanan Split Tube Cable Organizer http://www.summitsource.com/split-tube-o...217-p-4462.html which they sell in various widths depending on your needs.

I'll post a picture sometime. I look much, much more professional now, and this has shaved 30 seconds off of my setup since I don't have to untangle cables anymore.

Beakybird

#273824 - 10/16/09 06:46 AM Re: Cable Organizer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

I purchased a similar product at Radio Shack several years ago, then switched and went with Cable Wrap, which also does an outstanding job in organizing and protecting your cables. I've always been a stickler about players with a rats-nest of cables coming from their keyboards and over the floors. It just doesn't look professional, and it can be hazardous.

Good post,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#273825 - 10/16/09 06:46 AM Re: Cable Organizer
Dnj Offline

Larry although I use no pedals when I perform ......We have been using plastic cable wraps on all our wiring rig harnesses for gear and speakers for years from Radio Shack.....Gary turned me on to it years ago & it has really been a great organizational tool for wires ever since.

#273826 - 10/16/09 07:16 AM Re: Cable Organizer
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Larry although I use no pedals when I perform ......We have been using plastic cable wraps on all our wiring rig harnesses for gear and speakers for years from Radio Shack.....Gary turned me on to it years ago & it has really been a great organizational tool for wires ever since.

No pedals??? You don't use a sustain pedal?? OMG. You must be quite a pianist.

And what would I do without the Fill to Self pedal. I'm tapping on that a lot. You got to try it! Keeps your fingers on the keyboard, and you still get your fill.

I'll check out that RadioShack product.

Beakybird

#273827 - 10/16/09 07:32 AM Re: Cable Organizer
Dnj Offline

Larry less is more in my style of playing..we all do it different, to me pedals are a crutch & hindrance vs lightning fast changes with my fingers regarding sounds, and fills..Piano is not a major concern for me a sustain pedal effect can be obtained with a particular fingering technique of playing as I do, plus it,s less to hook up and breakdown...Good luck with the way it works for you. No Pedals, No Charts, No lyrics, is the way I roll..

#273828 - 10/16/09 09:50 AM Re: Cable Organizer
124 Offline

Good idea, yes. But it's probably better to keep power cord runs separate from signal cable runs, right?

#273829 - 10/16/09 12:45 PM Re: Cable Organizer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Got any audio of your superb pianistic skills without a sustain pedal, Donny? To think, all those teachers and virtuosi
not realizing there's a better way! Call Hanon! Roll over Beethoven!

BTW, it's nice to know you temper your prodigious technique with humility and modesty!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 10-16-2009).]

#273830 - 10/16/09 12:57 PM Re: Cable Organizer
Dnj Offline

Zzzzzzzzzzz.......enjoy your pedals...I'm sure they work for you & others ....read my post again that's the way I roll, sorry if YOU don't approve & who really cares? Pianist I'm not...."Arranger" keybord Artist I am..

#273831 - 10/16/09 01:08 PM Re: Cable Organizer
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Larry less is more in my style of playing..we all do it different, to me pedals are a crutch & hindrance vs lightning fast changes with my fingers regarding sounds, and fills..Piano is not a major concern for me a sustain pedal effect can be obtained with a particular fingering technique of playing as I do, plus it,s less to hook up and breakdown...Good luck with the way it works for you. No Pedals, No Charts, No lyrics, is the way I roll..

I'd like to hear more about your technique without using a sustain pedal. I've never heard of a keyboard player who didn't use one. Could you expand on this?

Also, what percentage of your performances are using midi files vs. playing over a style?

Does the sustain technique work for both?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#273832 - 10/16/09 01:52 PM Re: Cable Organizer
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have a couple of arranger playing clients that do not use any switch type pedal, sustain or otherwise.

These people were generally former Electone (or other brand of organ)players.

They did, however, express a lot of interest in a volume (or swell) pedal, although with touch sensitive keys, it is not really a total necessity.

I couldn't ( or at least, not willingly) do a gig without a sustain pedal.

I use it for fading out voices as well as on the piano sounds.

There is a "sustain" button on the panel of most arrangers, but this generally makes sounds bleed into themselves, if not used very carefully.

I carry two extra sustain pedals...that's how much I need to have it.

I'd be interested in Donny's technique as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online