SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#266124 - 06/14/09 04:23 PM Visited with Dave at the Horse Park In Lexington...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Saturday, Dave McMahan (jazzman Dave from Cincy) and his band had a gig at the Kentucky Horse Park. I climbed on the old motorcycle and went over for a visit.

Funny how much you can tell with a quick look at a bandstand. First, Dave had a Hammond on top, a Roland piano on bottom and one of the neat little Hammond melodicas on top of the Hammond. One of the amps was a Traynor...all top flight equipment; the kind real players use. The melodica was into a Samson wireless.

The bass player had cabinets that look like they'd been through the war. He drove them with a Gallion Kruger RB-700. His axe was a 64 P bass which looked like it had been used for self-defense in the past (I've got a 64 Jazz that's similar-not quite as "seasoned").

The guitar player used a tweed amp-saw it from the back, but it was a tube powered piece of gear.

Monitors were in the right place. Visited with the trombone player while waiting for "pretty boy" Dave to finish getting ready.

I didn't hear a note played, but can tell you that, based on what I've seen in the past from Dave and looking at the set-up, the people at the Horse Park were in for a treat.
It was "Pro" all the way.

Dave's great...younger and "cleaner" than I would have imagined. REALLY enjoyed the 1/2 hour or so we were able to visit.

Tonite, I'm off to Atlanta, where I'm planning to have dinner with Chas, another one of my favorites, who, unfortunately is not participating here for reasons mentioned in the post below.

Really enjoy meeting people I meet on line in person. Dave's a class act, and I will get to hear him in Cincy soon. Of course, he's welcome back here anytime.

Roving music scene senior reporter-over and out!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-17-2009).]

#266125 - 06/14/09 04:53 PM Re: Visited with Dave at the Horse Park In Lexington...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I miss the KHP. The family and I camped there for many years and visited the Horse Park just as often. Sorry to barge in; I just had to reminisce a little.

#266126 - 06/15/09 07:26 PM Re: Visited with Dave at the Horse Park In Lexington...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Russ,

It was great to meet you in person. I appreciate you taking the time to visit but I'm sorry we didn't get to play before you had to hit the road for your gig. I hope it went well. Also, thanks for the nice words. I have been in several bands over the years and one of the coolest things about The Modulators other than they are all fine players is the fact that all eight of us get along so well together. Maybe this is more common than I am aware, but as an example, when somebody takes a solo, the rest of the guys make a point to compliment the soloist when he pulls off a neat lead. And there is never any up-staging. I feel very lucky to be with this group.

One of these days I would love to get the chance to come to one of your gigs. Or if nothing else to have a tour of your museum . And if you do ever get the chance to come up this way, I would look forward to it. BTW, the band website www.modulators.com (which is in desperate need of a major make-over) includes a calendar with our public gigs.

Again, thanks a lot for stopping by.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 06-16-2009).]

#266127 - 06/16/09 05:48 PM Re: Visited with Dave at the Horse Park In Lexington...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave....cool name. I used to modulate all the time, but my hair began falling out (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)!

The unspoken communication between players of similar talent and attitude is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

I absolutely believe it happens in your group.

See you soon!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online