SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#265933 - 06/09/09 07:57 PM OT: Software to divide MP3 files
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Does anyone know of a way(software) to break out into individual tracks an album which has been burned to a CD as a single track?

Thanks,
Hammer

#265934 - 06/09/09 08:32 PM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hammer sorry, but there is no software of hardware that can do this.

The best you can get is "centre cancelling" which is where most vocals are recorded on the pan field, so that you are left with the stuff recorded on the left and right channels.

Even this has drawbacks as vocals usually have reverb and this is usually panned left or right or both, so you will still get an echo of the vocal.

Also the seperation depends on the original recording and how far left or right the instrument tracks were recorded.

But there is nothing that will seperate the various tracks out to seperate tracks.

Dennis

#265935 - 06/09/09 08:45 PM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
hammer Offline

Dennis,
I probably misspoke here. I burned several Albums to a CD but did not burn each song as a seperate song. I would now like to go back into the files and seperate them into individual songs again. I am not trying to break out "mixed tracks" from the files.

hammer

#265936 - 06/09/09 09:00 PM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Ahh in that case it should be pretty easy.

So just to clarify you have recorded all the songs into one big wav file? Or as a CD format?

Anyway, it is a bit fiddly but any of the audio sequencing packages should do this, probably even audacity and its free.

Just import the audio, split the track where the song divisions are and cut and paste to seperate tracks then export you audio again, but only the track you select.

You will have to do this for each track but it should work.

If the data is in CD format, simply record it back into your audio sequencer as a wav and then do your editing from there.

Dennis

Edited to add : with something like Audacity you may even be able to simply split the file into the correct song divisions and then export as seperate files. I am not sure on this as I have not used Audacity, but in reality all you are doing is splitting an audio track so it may be possible with it.

I personally use Sonar 7.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-09-2009).]

#265937 - 06/09/09 10:50 PM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
hammer Offline

Miden,
Been using Audacity and doing the "cut and paste" thing. It works great - just a bit slow. I have a ton of Albums I burned to CD before selling the originals and now I wish I had them back so I could record just the songs form them I need.

Thanks for the input.
Hammer

#265938 - 06/10/09 06:21 AM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

mp3DirectCut is a fast and extensive audio editor and recorder for compressed mp3. You can directly cut, copy, paste or change the volume with no need to decompress your files for audio editing. This saves encoding time and preserves the original quality, because nothing will be re-encoded. The built in recorder creates mp3 on the fly from your audio input. Using Cue sheets, pause detection or Auto cue you can easily divide long files.

I use it and it's free
Make sure you download the free version and not the avs4u version.
the one you want is http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4668.html

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 06-10-2009).]

#265939 - 06/10/09 12:53 PM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If these aren't MP3 already, I would at least do the job in full audio bandwidth first (Audacity is nice and free) before I converted to MP3 (if you even need that).

No point in compromising the audio if you don't HAVE to...

#265940 - 06/10/09 03:02 PM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
The title of this post is OT: Software to divide MP3 files, yes?

#265941 - 06/11/09 11:56 AM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oops... just noticed that. Initial post didn't mention what format. Would have thought something 'burned to a CD' meant it was by now in audio format. My mistake!

Mind you, if I WAS going to the bother of digitizing an LP, I would recommend digitizing it at 24/44 .wav to start off with, so that any post processing (scratch and click removal, limiting and EQ, etc.) had the best source to start out with.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-11-2009).]

#265942 - 06/11/09 11:59 AM Re: OT: Software to divide MP3 files
hammer Offline

Diki,
Your right on about the quality. One of my friends from days past is a pro audio engineer. I was converting old 78RPM records and he said the same thing - get the very best source to work with or your end product will stink. I work with WAV files most of the time then do the conversion over to MP3 - for the space saving.

Hammer

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online