Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#265480 - 05/29/09 08:06 AM Yamaha MM6. Need help... split key
jvalentine Offline

Loc: Jackson, MS, USA
-My Question-
The split key function.
O.k.
* I find a tone I like for bass. I designate that tone to the left.
* Then I find a tone I like for the lead and I designate that to the right.

For some reason when I am in split mode, the tone on the left sounds completely different than the same tone sounded in the same position when I wasn't using split mode.

Often the tone on the left (bass keys)either sounds weaker or completely different in split mode. The keys on the right sound fine.

What's going on here? No, I do not have Dual option selected.

Also, in split mode is there a way to independently adjust the volume or EQ of the two tones? Some are louder than others and it's really annoying to have a bass synth going and all of a sudden this blarring loud organ lead kicks in.

I am not impressed with this keyboard. I'm thinking about sending it back.

#265481 - 05/29/09 12:44 PM Re: Yamaha MM6. Need help... split key
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't know for sure, but have you looked at the effects structure? Usually, when you audition solo patches, you hear the tone with effects that are specific to that patch. For a bass patch, maybe some compression, EQ, a little chorus maybe, whatever it takes to make it fat.

Now you take that tone, and place it in a split patch that may have different effects, or no effects at all, or the effects from the Upper patch are being used...

I'd take a good look at how patch effects and effect routings are implemented on the MM6.... especially in split mode (but in multi-mode, too, as you are going to have to deal with this if you sequence, also).

#265482 - 05/29/09 01:26 PM Re: Yamaha MM6. Need help... split key
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
It has to do with how the MM handles the effects. Sounds like you're running into the DSP limitation on the MM. I could be wrong.., but I think it gives DSP priority to the RH tone.

Yes you can adjust the balance between your dual voices too. You have to go under the EDIT menu (button next to Utility under FUNCTION) There are numerous voice related parameters under there DUAL VOICE is one of them.., as well as pan, octave, DSP, Reverb, ect. Look in your manual as there should be a reference page that lists the parameters under the EDIT menu.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-29-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#265483 - 05/29/09 02:27 PM Re: Yamaha MM6. Need help... split key
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
As Squeak says after you push the edit button on the left side of the screen you can see that you can adjust settings for main volume, dual volume and split volume. It is here where you can adjust reverb level for each, chorus level for each, volume for each, etc. Than you can save your settings as a performance memory. There are 8 banks with 8 selections in each bank.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#265484 - 06/05/09 07:20 AM Re: Yamaha MM6. Need help... split key
jvalentine Offline

Loc: Jackson, MS, USA
Hey thanks! This helped out tremendously.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online