SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263719 - 05/19/09 06:33 AM Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Dnj Offline

The only time I see someone using bass pedals is in a Wersi/Hammond organ you tube video....its very rarely seen in these parts anymore.....with auto bass features so prevalent could bass pedals be a thing of the past?

#263720 - 05/19/09 06:54 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Nope, they ere still one of the most popular add on for single keyboards, plus auto bass lines are so canned (And can’t anticipate the chord you are playing next) which a real bass player isn’t.
Let’s face it Roland wouldn’t make them if they didn’t sell, and they are one of the most popular that players go for.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 05-19-2009).]

#263721 - 05/19/09 07:02 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Maybe across the seas Bill, but I think Donny's right. In the US you hardly see these things being used. The US organ market has really dropped.

I'm sure Roland sells a hell of a lot more organs outside of the US.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-19-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263722 - 05/19/09 07:14 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Only the die hard former organists look for bass pedals (and dual manuals)...even though the auto bass lines can't anticipate the next chord, they are far better than what most people could ever play.

Consider some of the walking bass lines in Bebop and Jazz styles, some at over 200 BPM...who but a real pro player can do them any justice.

Not everyone is a Klaus W. or a Barbara D.

I know I'm glad to be rid of them after using them for many many years.

Ian

#263723 - 05/19/09 07:20 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
It's very impressive though to see some of these pros who play those instruments. I watched a guy on YouTube the other day using one of Roland's top end models and he was doing music from Pirates of the Carib. Very impressive. Takes a lot of cordination to play one. I've aways thought drummers would make great organ players (if they were willing to learn)...
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263724 - 05/19/09 07:24 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've owned them all - Roland, Hammond, Fatar, Crumar... - and I agree with Ian (OMG!) that bass pedal use in the USA is sparse. I sold my last set of Crumar's only because auto-bass does a decent enough job. If I really need a dedicated bass line, then I do that on left hand with auto-accompany off. Of all the units I've had though, I feel the Roland has the best MIDI pedals available. I also liked my old Crumar self-contained analog sets, but would opt for Roland PK5 if I needed another.

To answer Donny's comment - I bought my last set of pedals to go with my Hammond XK-1, but soon set them aside.

#263725 - 05/19/09 07:47 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#263726 - 05/19/09 07:55 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I will go as far ...as to say...sometimes I hate "auto Bass"...I am most connected when I play left "hand" bass...

As for pedals...most "pro" pedal players use the bass pedals to accent what they are doing with their left hand....200 bpm..doesn't mean they are relying on pedals for bass...they "always" use a combination of left hand (sometimes right hand)..and bass pedals...

You guys might have talked me into picking up a set of Roland pedals..

Only problem for me...I like to stand, and I do use other pedals...sustain..a must....expression pedal..a must...and a switch pedal for harmonizer...I don't have enough feet.. ...and sitting is too boring for this young lad...

#263727 - 05/19/09 08:01 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
I cannot miss bass pedals.
I own a brasilian mid bass pedals , 20 years old but still dependable.
Here, a funk version of one note samba, recorded in my studio with bass pedals e live 10 fingers drums.
Kurzweil SP 76 piano, Yamaha Psr 3000, Roland E50. http://www.4shared.com/file/106399088/90c0dc06/Variation_over_one_note.html

#263728 - 05/19/09 08:01 AM Re: Playing Bass Pedals a thing of the past........?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I found the PK-5 too short for any real bass playing...I used both feet when playing Electone and Hammond, especially when doing walking bass lines.

I see Studio Logic has a 17 note unit, but not sure of the quality, and of course, Roland has the PK-7 with 20 notes.

The best I found were the 32 note AGO Hammond pedals.

Yamaha never made stand alone bass pedals, as far as know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online