SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262911 - 05/08/09 08:19 AM Custom Gig Bags
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Does anyone know of a good shop that makes custom padded bags? My case for my T3 is oversize and it really is a pain. Can't believe Yamaha still does not have a proper case for it.

I don't want a hard case - to heavy.

Hammer

#262912 - 05/08/09 11:06 AM Re: Custom Gig Bags
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Deane, there is a company in California called Blue Heron. They have made custom bags for me for double kneck gusitars. The guy has a rasdio show and is big in the Bluegrass Music field.

Google them. The quality is superb. You just measure the instrument and choose the materials.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-08-2009).]

#262913 - 05/08/09 11:32 AM Re: Custom Gig Bags
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Surely you have listened to Ian, Hammer?

Tyros's (and all arrangers, according to HIM) are 'home' keyboards. Why would Yamaha make a case for something only home players use?

OTOH, why wouldn't Yamaha make a 76 note Tyros, if perhaps they ARE ending up in the hands of gigging players?

Seems like you just can't win...

#262914 - 05/08/09 11:39 AM Re: Custom Gig Bags
hammer Offline

Diki,
You hit it on the head again - why would any mfg sell a keyboard without a case to fit it?

I know everyone has their favorite keyboard but I wish I could accurately post the many comments I get from clients about my Tyros 3. For me it works and I guess that is all that counts.

Later,
Hammer

#262915 - 05/08/09 12:09 PM Re: Custom Gig Bags
Diki Offline

I have to confess, Hammer, that if they made a 76 T3, I would be VERY tempted...

Bottom line for me about cases is, at $3500+, and little chance of a standby T3 locally in the event of a catastrophe, I wouldn't dare cart around something that expensive and fragile in a soft case. After having spent all THAT amount of money on an irreplaceable part of your show, a hard case with wheels (which still avoids the need for much lifting) would be the only thing I was not constantly worrying about. Speakers fall over in cars onto cases... People crash into you... A well meaning 'helper' at a gig stacks a speaker on top of your soft bag...

It MIGHT happen. Are you prepared for the eventuality (I would say inevitability )? Do you have a backup T3? Will a local store lend you one for that night's gig? If not, think carefully before you buy something that only cosmetically protects your $3500 investment in your show...

#262916 - 05/08/09 05:47 PM Re: Custom Gig Bags
hammer Offline

Diki,
I certainly wouldn't argue any of your points about the hard case. I never play with others and carry my equipment from my house to the car - about 30 feet. Then at the gig it goes on a cart. No one is ever allowed to help or touch the equipment and so far I have never had a problem with that while loading or unloading. I had a gator case with wheels for my Korg PA1X and it about killed me getting it in and out of my car. Sold it all due to the weight. Not only am I getting older I am also not a very big guy - so weight is important to me.

I suppose if anything ever did happen to the T3 I would fall back on my PSR3000 for the night.

Hammer

#262917 - 05/09/09 06:38 AM Re: Custom Gig Bags
hammer Offline

Russ,
I called Ken at Heron and he is going to make a bag for me. He said to say hi. He sounded like he really knows what he is doing and was very detailed about what I needed and wanted. Said it will take about 3-4 weeks to get it to me. His price was about the same as others.

I thought it was interesting that he wanted to know my height. Said he wanted to make the handle the right length so I didn't have to bend my arm while carrying it to keep it from dragging on the ground. Now who would have thought of that? I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Hammer
Hammer

#262918 - 05/09/09 11:28 AM Re: Custom Gig Bags
Diki Offline

That's a nice touch, Hammer. I'm fairly short, myself (5'4") and have a couple of things I wish the handles were shorter on...

Mind you, hard case or soft, I would still be dollying it

#262919 - 05/09/09 02:01 PM Re: Custom Gig Bags
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Deane, I'm happy with the cases this guy has made. Lot's of name players choose Blue Heron for custom work.

I'm sure you will be satisfied.

R.

#262920 - 05/12/09 08:04 AM Re: Custom Gig Bags
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Anyone buying a gig bag in Canada will do well to use the Levy soft cases.

I use one for the T3 and it fits perfect.

Model # is Levy, EM530DX and Canadian price is $65.99 plus tax.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online