SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262743 - 05/06/09 07:43 PM A prediction
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
There are so many wonderful people on here. Many very talented people. People with much to give due to their expertise and just being "good people." Yet, we will continue to see the participation in this forum decline. Which is due to nothing more than time and the age of arranger players, plus, the continued creation of more and more forums and other diversions.

Thus, I propose to you... try to weigh in more often on threads that interest you... due to this inevitable decline. There is no way to stop it other than active participation. Give you thoughts. Post music. Whatever it takes, make posts.

I think everyone should expand beyond trying to keep this forum so on-topic. SZ can be a destination for lovers of music, period, and there just isn't that much that can constantly be said about arrangers.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 05-07-2009).]

#262744 - 05/07/09 06:31 AM Re: A prediction
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I have just been so busy with a final school project that I haven't much time. It's all I can do to simply read and stay on top of that the laswt couple of weeks. I will try to be better at active posting, etc.

Just so you know what I had to do, this final project was huge! It was the final project for orchestration class. We were asked to take a symphony movement of at least 4 minutes in length, make it into a piano reduction, then score it for SATB choir with piano accompaniment, which means we had to come up with text as well. I chose Haydn's Symphony 104. We then had to take a piano piece of at least 4 minutes in length and score it for full orchestra, strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion included. We had three weeks to do all this. To say the least my stress level was at a max. I'm so relieved. The pieces were then recorded by the university's choir and symphony, respectively.

On another good note, after 20 years of wanting one, I finally got a Leslie speaker for my keyboard setup.

I'll be playing for the university's new gospel choir at National Day of Prayer today at noon.

Guess that's enough for now.

If I like the recordings of my pieces, I'll post them.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#262745 - 05/07/09 08:55 AM Re: A prediction
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
SemiLive,

You are correct, there are lots of experts on this forum and they contain a wealth of information and are usually only too willing to help.

However there are also people that when given advice or product reviews will in essence call the reviewer stupid or a liar. Remember Frans speaker review or the review of the Logictech Z2300s? Even though the review was given by professionals with decades of experience, they didn't know anything. This attitude causes good knowledgable people to say the hell with it, why bother.

There are also still people who have an agenda and want to get into a pissing contest on why their arranger is better than anyone elses.

I think that if this continues there will be less and less participation on this forum. Just witness some of the people who have already quit.

Tom

Tom

#262746 - 05/07/09 09:20 AM Re: A prediction
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
SemiLive,

You are correct, there are lots of experts on this forum and they contain a wealth of information and are usually only too willing to help.

However there are also people that when given advice or product reviews will in essence call the reviewer stupid or a liar. Remember Frans speaker review or the review of the Logictech Z2300s? Even though the review was given by professionals with decades of experience, they didn't know anything. This attitude causes good knowledgable people to say the hell with it, why bother.

There are also still people who have an agenda and want to get into a pissing contest on why their arranger is better than anyone elses.

I think that if this continues there will be less and less participation on this forum. Just witness some of the people who have already quit.

Tom

I couldn't agree more and it does cause some to leave, and rightfully so. It even ran me off for awhile.

However, you and I are not moderators and have no control over this behaviour, only the moderator does. So, my post was nothing more than a call to action for people to just participate more... regardless of the subject of the post. Some people, over the years, have said to keep this forum only about arrangers and I, personally, do not agree with that. Especially, when you have a forum (like many) which is declining.

A thriving forum becomes a community and in such, people don't just talk about one subject... they talk about many things.

I'm not exactly a youngster but I'm younger than many here and it's nice to get a senior perspective, too.

#262747 - 05/07/09 09:54 AM Re: A prediction
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
This is my first post on this thread....At least in my current memory.

I have not posted for several reasons... I am a Technics KB player. There are many posts there that may be of general interest to many who post here.

Those who piss and moan and criticize here are a major reason I do not post here. When that happens on the Technics forum, I do not post any response.

Everyday that I am on line, I first look at the Technics Forum, then check on what is for sale or want to buy forum, then this one.

I am a self taught player, I am a very senior single female person whose only home for 25 years, and counting, has been a motor home.... I play for senior audiences.

Last week a visiting single senior solo guitarist who is also a Full Time Rv'r, came to my park to meet me and play some music with me. We had a great 4 days of music....

I learned a great deal.... Jim taught me a lot.... When we played together, all I had in the rhythm section were the drums and a toned down bass. In the 3 top parts I had a delicious piano I have tweaked to what to my hear is delicious, sometimes 3 of those, sometimes 2 with a cello, or a violin or a sax.... These three parts blend nicely together, with the rhythm, and with Jim's solo guitar. We plugged his guitar into my Technics KN7000.... My audience loved it and so did we....

Once in awhile I read some of the other forums here to educate myself about other arranger KB's. I know my 2 KN7000's and one KN6000 will not last forever and that there will be no additional Technics arrangers at all.

Perhaps it might be time, or soon will be time to merge all the arranger forums? Or at least, you folks might want to peruse some of the others like I do?

Right now there is an interesting thread about midi files and how to create new styles in the 7K using the midi files and voices in the 7K.... You may want to take a look and post your own questions or comments....

Elizabeth etwo

------------------

#262748 - 05/07/09 10:03 AM Re: A prediction
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Elizabeth ... nice to see you posting here ...
I still have my kn6000 as my only 'gigging' kb ... I find it interesting when others do a 'wish list' and I realize I already have that feature ...

Interesting comment about your friend plugging into your kn7000 ... was the kn7 plugged into some other PA system?
thnx,
t.

#262749 - 05/07/09 10:51 AM Re: A prediction
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Hi TONY.....

No my 7K was not plugged into any amp other than the sub-woofer here in my Motor Home. When we played for the audience, he used his own amp.... The 7K without the sub-woofer or aux amp... has plenty of volume where I play for audiences....

Elizabeth....

#262750 - 05/07/09 11:00 AM Re: A prediction
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Why don't we all just swap arrangers and start over with the P and M's.
that would keep everyone amused until we get a new box from the big 3 to start on.

Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 05-12-2009).]

#262751 - 05/07/09 11:53 AM Re: A prediction
mr9000 Offline

Diapers on aisle 3 next to pacifiers..The ONLY reason i could ever see any reason for any decline in synthzone would be if Keyboard makers go bankrupt and we then are left with the stagnating option of 'my keyboard is way better than yours'.Whenever i am on line i always come the the zone!If offense is taken by way of text,i suspect a wrong turn was taken and should of rather been www.drphil.com.
If any become disgruntled,the negativity should only be allowed to be taken with grain of salt/sand!.You should only see it as communicating with other peoples minus on how "They shouldda/couldda said it nice like.."

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 05-07-2009).]

#262752 - 05/07/09 03:10 PM Re: A prediction
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, there's a definite decline, just lately, and no-one's gone bankrupt... there goes that theory. And plenty of new product mostly seems to devolve into a 'my NEW arranger is better than yours' rather than a 'my old arranger is better than yours' most of the time

Seems that it is a LOT easier for some to simply discuss specs than the far more difficult task of actually PLAYING music or talking about it. Even our 'cha-cha' friend, often the first to chide others for not practicing enough rarely EVER posts about actually PLAYING music.

Sometimes I get the impression this is like a gardening forum, where they only discuss spades and forks, never gardening!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online