SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#262044 - 04/26/09 05:53 AM What would you pay for this service?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gang-

I'm interested in seeing if there would be an interest in the following idea...

If the major KB manufacturers offered long term, post warranty catastrophic replacement insurance, would it interest you and how much would you be willing to in monthly premiums?

I'm sure the devil is in the details, but basically if our kb's go down, a lot of us are screwed trying to get it serviced in a timely fashion. Yes, most of the busier players here have a backup board ready to roll, but in most cases...it's not our main board for a reason, right?

There are fewer and fewer authorized repair shops for the high end equipment like many of us use. In Hawaii, for example, there are no qualified repair shops on the island at all. That means the kb has to be shipped to LA for service, which has to suck...

If I knew my main board blew up or through customer service I knew it couldn't be repaired quickly and/or cost effectively, I'd love to know that a replacement board could be on its way to me in a matter of hours, not weeks.

One hurdle would be the guy who's having a minor problem and characterizes it as a major one...Not sure how that could be best handled.

I'd definitely pay for a service like this just for the peace of mind.

Thoughts?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 04-26-2009).]

#262045 - 04/26/09 11:19 AM Re: What would you pay for this service?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I think the cost of the service would be prohibitive. The abuses would be high and there are not enough people who actually use these particular keyboards in "mission critical" situations to gain enough payers into a system. Not to mention the keyboards are usually trouble free.

People that work enough and are concerned about redundancy should already have a more immediate plan in place. A back up keyboard and sound system. My wife does, and she only takes 3-4 gigs a week.

IF I lived in Hawaii, I would have a couple boards and sound systems. Maybe not 2 Tyros 3 but possible a used PSR900 or 3000 and a "Podium" speaker system LOL.

Major musical instrument companies may be the ONLY electronic manufacturers that don;t routinely hawk Extended Warranties (which I have never purchased on anything and am w a y way ahead). I believe they don;t offer it for good reason. Too many opportunities for fraud and abuse in the musical instrument world.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 04-26-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#262046 - 04/26/09 12:22 PM Re: What would you pay for this service?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't know if anyone has been following the insurance industry's abuses lately, but personally, I wouldn't give them a penny I didn't have to.

Ask anybody from New Orleans what they think of the 'Good Hands' folks, etc..

A good case, and preventative maintenance is cheaper and probably more effective, IMO.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online