SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#261811 - 04/18/09 03:10 AM Guitar Comparison Thread
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
After the last Guitar demo thread, I thought that it might be a good idea to set up a set of standard Midi files that users can use for comparison purposes. (A bit like Purgatory Creek)

The files I have chosen are taken from the web as I am not a guitar player, however if you know of others that would be more appropriate then please suggest them.

To maintain a consistency of uploads; I would suggest No processing of the recorded sound, and a conversion to MP3 using Audacity with the Lame encoder at 192Kbs, as this should then take out most of the variables. (I chose Audacity as it is free, gets good write ups, and can be used by anybody, however if you know of a better free one please post)

In addition to the Midi files (Zipped) I have uploaded a file as MP3 using the Guitar sound from the Soundcard in my computer. (Once we have a standard set of files that is agreeable to all, we can then upload our keyboard Guitar sounds to show the various Guitar emulations available)

This is not designed to be a mine is better then yours thread, just a common thread to post samples and get general feedback.

Here are the files then, and feel free to add any further suggestions.
http://www.4shared.com/file/100034991/a248e984/Guitar_Midi_Files.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/100035548/df9cb16c/Test.html

Regards

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 04-18-2009).]

#261812 - 04/18/09 05:19 AM Re: Guitar Comparison Thread
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
oh, I think I get it now...

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 04-18-2009).]

#261813 - 04/18/09 11:58 AM Re: Guitar Comparison Thread
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing about guitar emulation is all the non-string sounds that make the performance. The chokes, the rakes, the fret squeaks, the hammer-ons and -offs, etc..

Each keyboard implements these in totally non-standard ways... you can't take a MIDI recording of a Yamaha Mega voice or SA voice, and put it in a Korg, and have the performance work. Or Roland's Guitar Mode output into a Ketron, yada yada yada...

Unlike the straight ahead piano performance, that is notes and nothing BUT notes... Purgatory Creek's concept works admirably for this, but I'm afraid a standard file of guitar playing won't bring out the best of what our arrangers can do, and lead to significant comparison.

JMO...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online