SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260638 - 03/30/09 10:06 AM Please check out my new song
Beakybird Offline

I cowrote this with a friend. I had the hook and most of the music. He helped me with the chords for the bridge and with the lyrics.

I made this song from scratch, instrumentation-wise. I created drums, bass and marimba on the computer with the PSR-S900 as playback device. I then created an organ part on the keyboard.

Vocals are mine with help of Celemony Studio 3 for harmonies and improvement of pitch.

Electric guitars are all done by yours truly.

It's called "It's Like a Rocket." It's at:
www.myspace.com/larrylevin

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 03-30-2009).]

#260639 - 03/30/09 05:16 PM Re: Please check out my new song
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Larry, Great JOB!!

Every one seems to get better and better than the last. Great guitar work and backing vocals.

Good Work, Keep it up

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid..com
www.77bucks.com Affordable web design

#260640 - 03/30/09 05:23 PM Re: Please check out my new song
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... sounds good ... one of your best vocal efforts... you should have been writing songs in the late 50's early 60's ...

thnx for posting ...

t.

#260641 - 03/30/09 09:17 PM Re: Please check out my new song
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I agree. Your work gets better and better with each piece...IMO of course.

Eddie

#260642 - 03/30/09 11:38 PM Re: Please check out my new song
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Good rocker, Larry...

Only thing that grated on me a little bit was the marimbas... not exactly rock and roll there. A big rollickin' piano part, a bit of Jerry Lee might help it out.

But, just my opinion, no big thing. Song is strong, bridge got Beatles-y again, but is fun...

Nice job!

#260643 - 03/31/09 04:25 AM Re: Please check out my new song
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I liked this...

Whole different feel from your other material.

Mix wise, I wanted to hear more of a rhythm instrument through most of the song. I thought the lead vocal might be just a tad...just tad... a little hot.

I liked this vocal alot...

Cheers

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260644 - 03/31/09 06:36 AM Re: Please check out my new song
Beakybird Offline

Thank you so much for listening! I applied some vocal touch ups with Celemony to my other songs, and they sound much better too. It was scary to see my vocal performances on a staff and see how off key I was. But I quickly discovered that too much correction sounds unnatural - at least for lead vocals. I wouldn't have even thought of purchasing Celemony if it hadn't been for some complaints from you guys that my voice gets off key.

If I get any success with this project, I am going to spend some money on vocal lessons with the best teacher I can find in Chicagoland.

I wanted a retro feel with this song. One of my favorite Stones songs - sound wise - is Under My Thumb which has marimbas or some similar percussive instrument. I thought about piano, but with the rhythm guitar and rotary organ, I wanted something sparse.

Bill in Dayton says: Mix wise, I wanted to hear more of a rhythm instrument through most of the song. I thought the lead vocal might be just a tad...just tad... a little hot.

I will try taking some of the crunch off the rhythm guitar and turning down the lead vocal just a tad to see what results I get. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Thanks so much for listening. Because of a few constructive critiques of the lyrics on that "In My House of Love" song, I rewrote much of it with some input from a friend who's also a songwriter and who also was an English major.

I'm sending out demos now. Hopefully, I won't get too many letters back with the two words: "Wrong decade."

Beakybird

#260645 - 03/31/09 08:02 AM Re: Please check out my new song
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Well we finally have a success story! The criticism wasn't taken personally, but applied constructively and a forum member has been able to use the input from us as a learning experience.

A lot of times guys says things in the most careless of ways and the basic concept they're trying to get across gets lost in the bluster and rudeness.

Sometimes the recipient of this advice/criticism is sooooo uber sensitive that again, the value of the message gets lost in self defense mechanisms.

Refreshing to see the scenario end up differently for a change...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 03-31-2009).]

#260646 - 03/31/09 10:29 AM Re: Please check out my new song
Dnj Offline

I personally don't think anyone here is qualified to make any professional criticism on anyone's music. With that in mind Larry shouldn't let anyone derail his original direction on his songs which will only cause a misdirection of the original intent by the writer & his perception of ideas. I'm glad he is pursuing his dream as a song writer but the SZ is not the place to invoke input for your musical success.
Sorry for being honest..

#260647 - 03/31/09 10:46 AM Re: Please check out my new song
Beakybird Offline

DNJ, if someone tells me that my voice is out of tune, and I say, "Hey, you're infringing on my original intent as a songwriter," that's pretty stupid.

If several people in different forums say that your hook is great, but the other lyrics aren't very professional, should I tell them, "Hey, if I change anything, that's messing with my original perception." That's pretty dumb too.

Because of some constructive criticism, I tuned up my vocals, and I reexamined a song, and wrote verses that were more cohesive with the theme of the hook.

I'm intelligent enough to take any critique with a grain of salt. But I'm also intelligent enough to listen to people and see if what they says reverberates with what others say and what my inner voice says.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online