SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#260604 - 03/29/09 02:15 PM Thoughts on this product !
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Hi Folks
I just had a fellow keyboard player raving to me about the Gem Genyses arranger keyboard/module. Apparently it has a great sampled grand piano as well as some great sounds and styles. I must say I have not heard much about it on this forum.

Any info.

Frank

#260605 - 03/29/09 02:54 PM Re: Thoughts on this product !
mc Offline

Loc: New York
GEM was an italian keyboard company that is now out of business. The Gem Genesis is a number a years old now, 6-9 years, not to sure on the exact year. It was a good keyboard in its day, very state of the art, with cd rom and a lot of extras, the styles and sounds were good, somewhat like ketron's but not ketrons. I would not purchase GEM since if you were to have any problems, I not sure if parts are available or customer support does not exist.

#260606 - 03/29/09 03:04 PM Re: Thoughts on this product !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
GEM (General Music Inc.) just recently filed bankruptcy and have shut down operations. I have not heard the GEM Genesys module personally myself but if a friend recommended it to you then it might be worth it to consider getting it. Especially if you can get one at a low low price. Since GEM went belly up you probably wouldn't be able to get replacement parts for it though most likely. So from that standpoint it may be quite a risky gamble and especially when trying to sell it later, since you probably will only get pennies on the dollar for it down the road - if you can sell it at all.

Yes, another business i.e. GEM bites the dust and therefore, personally, I wouldn't even consider buying their now obsolete products. Obsolete because GEM is no longer in business and therefore can't provide product support on their "former" products. To each his own though. If your friend recommends it and the price is right it still may be worth it to you.

All the best,
Mike

#260607 - 03/30/09 03:20 AM Re: Thoughts on this product !
to the genesys Offline

Yes the Gem Genesys S (61 keys with speakers), Genesys pro S (61 keys with out speakers), Genesys Ensemble (88 keys with speakers and piano casing), and the Genesys xp (module) all have the same sounds, styles and features.
There is a grand piano sample that is one of the best in the business. There are lots of great onboard sounds and you can load samples. The styles are good with the ability to create and make your own.

It has 1024 user memories (registration for the Yamaha users). It has a full functional sequencer and MP3 and wave file player.

It has a 20 gig hard drive.
It has vocal harmony and text and music display.

However, as others have said, there is a big question as to the companies existence in the future so getting one of these right now would be at your own risk.

#260608 - 03/30/09 04:13 AM Re: Thoughts on this product !
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I own a GEM PROMEGA3, the Genesys Piano is similar to it...its the best on the market for now.

#260609 - 03/30/09 05:48 AM Re: Thoughts on this product !
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Your fellow keyboard player is right.
As far as the demise of GEM, If you can read French or Italian, there are a couple of related European based forums, and from what I can gather, GEM has shut down 2 of 5 factories. No one knows for sure if they are just down-sizing as per conditions of bankruptcy, or closing all together. Hopefully, one of our Europe based members can shed more light on this.
Ciao,
Jerry

#260610 - 03/30/09 05:59 AM Re: Thoughts on this product !
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Musicians Friend continues selling the Genesys XP's et al, and GEM USA is still operational in Bensenville, IL:

605 H Country Club Drive
Bensenville, IL 60106
Tel (630) 766-8230

#260611 - 03/30/09 06:14 AM Re: Thoughts on this product !
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
As Jerry said, GEM is not out of bussines, i know from reliable sources the company is not bankrupt.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online