SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259198 - 03/09/09 10:02 AM a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Hi George.

Can M50 play direct from SD card like Pa 500?
I konw that Triton Le ot TR can't do that.You have to load song to the internal memory first.

Thanks.

#259199 - 03/09/09 10:33 AM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I could be wrong, but I believe the “Song Play” mode your referring to will never been seen on a workstation every again. It was heavily criticised when it was first seen by workstaton users as a completely pointless and amateur feature.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not suggesting your an amateur by any stretch of the imagination. But if you consider how far superior the SNG format is and it's ability to hold 210,000 notes or 128 songs in a single file. Who on earth would want to deal with reading midi files ever again.

Regards.
James.

#259200 - 03/09/09 10:42 AM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would have thought though, that the ability to link a song to a Combi, have it load when you load the Combi (with the M3's much faster HD system, it would appear instantaneous) would have been seen as a VERY 'pro' feature...

Surely the M3 does this?

#259201 - 03/09/09 06:00 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Irishacts Offline

Hi Diki.
Very sorry but I'm not sure what you mean. No KORG Keyboard can assign a song to a COMBI.

Midi files do not hold any advanced information like Tone Adjust settings, IFX information, key zones, transpose values, and so on. It's a crude and slow format that even depends on the first measure of the song to contain the Control Change data for the song to simply function.

KORG's SNG format on the other hand stores everything there is that relates performance of that song and every feature of the Sequencer and the effects engine.

In addition to that it is a true instant start format. The split second you press that button the song is playing with everything already assigned.

Load one song file, and you could have about 30 songs (which is aprox 210,000 notes)instantly available in memory.

Regards.
James.

#259202 - 03/09/09 06:28 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I wish I had an answer for you but I've only been selling Korg Arrangers the past couple of years. I don't stock any of their workstations synth keyboards so I don't know about the M50. Ask me about a PA800, PA2XPRO and I know quite alot.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#259203 - 03/10/09 09:59 AM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
jamman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:

I could be wrong, but I believe the “Song Play” mode your referring to will never been seen on a workstation every again. It was heavily criticised when it was first seen by workstaton users as a completely pointless and amateur feature.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not suggesting your an amateur by any stretch of the imagination. But if you consider how far superior the SNG format is and it's ability to hold 210,000 notes or 128 songs in a single file. Who on earth would want to deal with reading midi files ever again.

Regards.
James.

You are incorrect.
Song direct play without loading
all the TOTL workstations starting from
Triton classic and extreme can do this.(old M1 /T3/X3 can't, the first TOTL to do that was Roland XP 50 where X3 can't write transpose data and has to load before it can play)This is also a feature other TOTL Kbs like Fantoms and motifs including MO6 .I'm sure M3 does it too.Can play non SMF songs files directly from disk/flash drive/Sd card.
200,000 note memory doesnt mean 128 songs.If you write your own songs, that could sometimes be more than 20,000 notes persongs.not KB memory SMFs.

Korg skipped that to save money on Triton LE and TR and most liklely M50 too(I don't see any spec or menus on M50).In MO 6, it was a big advertising feature.

M50 has all same # of EFX and wave ROM of M3, it's a shame that they skipped that function(plus the cheezy keys too, TR was much better and had after touch).

#259204 - 03/10/09 10:55 AM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
Hi George.

Can M50 play direct from SD card like Pa 500?
I konw that Triton Le ot TR can't do that.You have to load song to the internal memory first.

Thanks.

No you can't. The M50 IS a plastic Triton in essence. Sort of like Yamaha did with the MO series (it's essentially a Motif ES) without Sampling capability
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#259205 - 03/10/09 11:27 AM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
James, my G70 will Link an SMF to the registration (UPG)... call up a registration, with everything you need for the keyboard parts already assigned (and easily changed without altering the SMF), and the sequence is instantly loaded. With a SSHD, there's no seek time or loading time.

Every song I do is instantly available. I see no better way than this to perform...

#259206 - 03/10/09 12:31 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
jamman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Sort of like Yamaha did with the MO series (it's essentially a Motif ES) without Sampling capability

Yes I know,But MO series still keeps direct disk play, m50 keeps same EFX.It's all give and take.

#259207 - 03/10/09 03:57 PM Re: a question to George Kaye -Korg M50
Irishacts Offline

Hi jamman.
I'm not wrong, you just don't seem to be reading what I'm saying. Triton Series was the first to see this option and the last. As I said. ..!!!!

Quote:
200,000 note memory doesnt mean 128 songs.

You are not reading what I'm saying. I have clearly said that 210,000 notes is about 30 songs in the real world.

SEQ mode is used for more than SONGs you know. Many people with DAW setups using it as a means to store setups.

Regards.
James.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online