SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259177 - 03/08/09 11:15 AM Really, Really Bored
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
It had to happen sooner or later. I play 100% senior gigs - a lot of them. The problem for me is I could probably play every single one of them with about 50 of the very same songs. After a while it really gets boring. I have attempted to change things up but the folks complain that they I didn't play their favorites.

I remember in the early 70's playing with a dance band for 7 years and we played exactly the same music on every job in the exact same sequence. The public hired us because of the music we played and the sound. That got boring too. On more than one occasion we had reached the first break point and I didn't even remember playing the set. Talk about being on automatic.

What do you guys do to overcome the "bored" problem?

Hammer

#259178 - 03/08/09 11:37 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
jwyvern Offline

That's Showbusiness.
They must feel the same on Broadway too

John

#259179 - 03/08/09 11:48 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Constantly buy new equipment so you always have something to learn and keep you on your toes. Works for some. As for me, I would just learn new songs.

#259180 - 03/08/09 11:52 AM Re: Really, Really Bored
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Hammer, this might not make you feel better, but pretty much all club bands around Dfw play mostly same set everytime I see them.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#259181 - 03/08/09 12:28 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
Dnj Offline

Topic title should read
"REALLY REALLY HAPPY, It's a job like any other, most people go in the same office every day, same people, same faces, same routine, but just think of what YOUR doing versus what THEY do and then say to yourself "I AM THE LUCKIEST GUY IN THE
WORLD" to be playing music & making people happy with the gift you have have been given.. plus getting paid also!

I never had this problem in 40 years on stage for any venues....I still get excited every time I take the stage.
you "really' have to "LOVE IT" or there is no sense doing it.Playing & Singing is an extension of your soul...give them 150% EVERY Performance!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-09-2009).]

#259182 - 03/08/09 12:53 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Well, if perform for the public who hire you, it's them you have to
please and make happy, that's why you're there in the first place.
I assume perform for seniors are another challenge than gig at the
Saturday Night Dancefloors, Weddings and so on.
Instead of play the same sequences, why not challenge the audience,
make them suggest the playlist, you'll never know, you might get a
big surprise once in a while that make you more happy as well.

Happy Playing and Performing.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#259183 - 03/08/09 01:00 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Sorry, I can't relate...

Bored, seriously?

I'll do over 400 jobs again this year, and I won't feel bored at any of them. (Now restaurants, that's another story!)

I have 3-4 songs I tend to play at all of my NH jobs, other than that...I keep 'em guessing. I also keep myself fresh.

There are hundreds of great tunes they'll like. If they don't like your new stuff, maybe its not as polished as the stuff you play all the time?

If I could hear you, I could probably help you more.

When I wrap up a NH show, I'm winded, I'm a little sweaty and so are they.

All due respect, if you're bored and not really into it, maybe you should step away from it for awhile...The audience probably senses your boredom...

One of the comments I hear a lot from Activity Directors is that "You really love what you're doing, you can tell." Do you have a passion for this?

Maybe its song selections, rehearsal, maybe its partly an equipment issue, maybe you're not reading the crowd properly, I don't know.

Tell us more about your act...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 03-08-2009).]

#259184 - 03/08/09 01:54 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
It doesn't sound like you are playing the same songs in the same order every night, my normal advice for the "same old same old" syndrome of "dump fixed set lists and have enough material suitable for the audience you play such that you can cope with picking songs on the fly" may not apply!

I've had the same issue - play something new, get told off because you didn't play someone's favourite. Then again your "new" song could be someone else's favourite, you'll only find out by trying. Play the other favourite next time (and namecall the complainant so they'll feel special) and leave out something else!

#259185 - 03/08/09 01:57 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
and I agree with Donny 100%

#259186 - 03/08/09 03:40 PM Re: Really, Really Bored
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Yes I find myself agreeing with Donny - absolutely.
(In fact his post is almost word for word what I was about to say...!)

I can suggest one other thing:

A few acts around our neck o' the woods put out songlists - printed copies on all the tables.

Then the audience ticks which songs they want to hear - you'll be surprised at some of their requests once they see your COMPLETE repertoire.

The upside of this method is -

1. You get to show them your versatility and capability at playing a wider variety of songs than their beloved "Top 50".

2. If anyone complains you can say you played practically all THEIR requests!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online