SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252306 - 12/31/08 07:43 PM Q for Ian Mc
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Ian, I have noticed in a couple of posts you mentioning the Yamaha Kx88.

I was wondering if you could give me your views on it as a controller keyboard and as a standalone piano? (With an appropriate module of course)

Thanks

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 12-31-2008).]

#252307 - 12/31/08 09:21 PM Re: Q for Ian Mc
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/kx/index.html

Dennis,

I've only had the KX8 for a short while...not even sure if it's available to the public yet.

I'm presently using it to control the Tyros3 and the S900...mainly for solo piano because I need/want 88 weighted graded hammer action.

I love the action...it seems much like my old P85 although I must say it feels a bit smoother, and it also seems a bit heavier/stiffer(perhaps 'cause it's still new)...it's got a heavier feel than the 88 key Rolands I've played, but I prefer a heavy action....it is also very responsive.

At first I wasn't fond about where the pitch/mod wheels are located, but they do keep the instrument from being excessively wide and as I get used to them, they seem to be a wise choice for Yamaha...I can grip the side of the keyboard and use them like like the ones on the S900/Tyros3.

A lot of it's features are wasted on me as I use no VSTs or recording software, preferring to record on the S900 or Tyros3 using the onboard Song Creator and ultimately the audio to USB recorder.

I'll probably get into it more next month when it will be used in a studio.

It's well built and not too heavy...a little heavier than the P85 it replaced.

Did I mention I really love the action.

Ian

#252308 - 12/31/08 09:52 PM Re: Q for Ian Mc
miden Offline

Thanks Ian,

Yes you did mention the action and that's exactly the info I was after, apart from controller use.

They have just become available in Australia, at a good price surprisingly (about $850 AUD)and it looks a good unit, 88 keys with a workable width.

Cool, thanks again I appreciate the info. It might work well with the Sonic Cell.

Dennis

#252309 - 12/31/08 10:28 PM Re: Q for Ian Mc
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
It might work well with the Sonic Cell.

Dennis

I was thinking the very same thing, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a Sonic Cell.

The action really is very nice...weighted just enough, not at all sluggish...it feels....expensive.

Ian

#252310 - 12/31/08 10:42 PM Re: Q for Ian Mc
miden Offline

Ian, I agree on the Roland weighted piano comparison having used an RD300SX and the RD700SX, although I haven't tried the latest with the ivory feel keys. Everyone raves about them, but way too expensive.

No, the KX8 might just fill the space, that I was missing. As you are a piano player I take good notice of your comments.

Now to try and talk my dealer into getting one into stock for display

Cheers
Dennis

#252311 - 01/01/09 05:09 AM Re: Q for Ian Mc
jwyvern Offline

KX8 is available in UK. Best Internet price I've seen is £391 and free delivery.

Seems attractive but pricey for "just" an extended KB for Ty3 although since I've got the Ty3 Piano voice sounding pretty good now it may be a justifiable addition.

OTOH there's the NP30 with lighter touch as I understand it. I "seem" to be OK playing Full KB piano with the feel of the Ty3 keys but would I play it any more expressively with a KX8 feel I wonder?.
NP30 has less notes but at a more "it's only money" price of £149.

I haven't been able to try a NP30 yet, does anyone have any comments on its desirability as a controller KB, primarily for use with piano voice?

John

#252312 - 01/01/09 07:03 AM Re: Q for Ian Mc
ianmcnll Offline

Hi John,

I had the NP-30 for about 4 months and now my girlfriend has it.

I thought it was a tad too light actioned for my uses, but it does give more range for piano work.

My girlfriend, who is an accomplished piano player, loves the NP-30 as just a portable piano...she does a lot of choral directing and the piano is ideal for practicing as it easily moved.

She finds the action just fine, although she says going to a "real" piano after playing the NP-30 for some time, is a bit of a shock and takes considerable adjustment.

I'm getting her a P85 in the spring...I had one here for several months and she loved playing it, saying it felt very close to the real deal.

It also has real MIDI ports, so it also makes a pretty good controller, although it doesn't have pitch/mod wheels....it also is very lightweight, being around 25 lbs.

We both love the KX8 action....I actually use it to trigger that great modified piano sound you sent me some time ago (I have it in the S900 and the Tyros3)...and the KX8's mod wheel even changes the tone.

I see a few people on YPKO have been using the NP-30 as a lower keyboard...I find it awkward having the main keyboard on top as it is not very convenient changing style variations etc.

I set the KX8 off to the side, on it's own stand, as it is used mainly for solo piano.

Ian

#252313 - 01/01/09 07:31 AM Re: Q for Ian Mc
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
My understanding is that the KX8 has the same keybed as the MM8 and the 61 key version has the same keybed as the MM6. If I had my choice I'd take the KX8 over the NP-30 for piano feel. The NP's keys really aren't weighted at all. It's more a "resistance trick" to them. They're kinda between semi-weighted and synth action. You get used to them fairly quickly though, but they feel nothing like a piano. Good inexpensive 76 controller though, but understand it's a very limited controller too.

If I had my choice of the KX8 or NP for driving the SonicCell I'd take the KX8 without question. It's a dedicated controller with more features and it's designed soley as a controller where as the NP's just a cheap digital piano with a few controller options that are secondary to it's intended use.., midi seemed more of an afterthought on the NP-30..
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#252314 - 01/01/09 11:10 AM Re: Q for Ian Mc
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Weighs about 33 lbs, doesn't it, Ian?

That's more than a lot of people want to carry for their main arranger, let alone a remote keyboard just for piano...

30+lbs for the T3 (25 lbs for the S900), 33 lbs for the KX8... (plus extra tiers for the stand) Starts to make my G70 at 45 lbs somewhat of a featherweight!

I agree that it's all compromise trying to use just the one action for everything, but it sure saves a bunch of setup and teardown at a gig. At the studio I just MIDI the K200X into the G70 if I want the ultimate 88 wood sensation... or use the Steinway!

I think we need some kind of better way of describing weight of action, because to even think about an NP-30 in the same region as the G70 action is not even close. There's to my mind 'un'weighted, like NP-30, S900, and then 'slightly' weighted, like T3, PA2Xpro and most quality 61's, then there's 'semi' weighted like the G70, K2500, then there's the 'fully' weighted things like RD700, KX8. Mo8 K2500X, etc..

And that doesn't even take into account waterfall actions!

I'm afraid I tried the NP-30, and without a moment's hesitation I would take the G70's action over that..! The NP-30 was FURTHER away from a real piano that my G70, and that's not saying much But to haul around another 33 lbs just to get a bit closer than the G70 for piano sounds alone? Sorry, but not going to happen!

#252315 - 01/01/09 11:35 AM Re: Q for Ian Mc
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

30+lbs for the T3 (25 lbs for the S900), 33 lbs for the KX8... (plus extra tiers for the stand) Starts to make my G70 at 45 lbs somewhat of a featherweight!

Hi Diki,

I don't usually carry both keyboards at the same time. although carrying both is a better balance than carrying one 45lb(+road case)instrument.

The KX8 slips into a lightweight gig bag, as does the S900, and I use two lightweight, but double braced, stands.

Everything...two stands, both keyboards, nice comfy bench, two MS60 speakers(and stands) all fit in my Honda Accord sedan and I still have room for a passenger.

It's not at all difficult to move both, and having the advantage of 88 weighted graded hammer action is truly worth any extra effort.

I've lifted a G70 in a road case...my buddy used to have one...it's very heavy and awkward...plus it still doesn't have weighted keys...I know you don't mind lugging it around, but I know I wouldn't.

I won't compromise what I use for solo piano....some do...but, I only have to please me.

The P85 was even easier to move, but it was on my sample account and it's time was up...the KX8 replaced it...I have to stay current and evaluate new gear...I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

The G70's action feels absolutely nothing like a piano...come on now, we both know that much. ...but for the number of keys, it's pretty much the same as the T3 and Korgs...the keys are a little longer and shaped differently, but they have the same resistance...I've played them, remember...I'm not guessing.

Still...it works fine for your needs, and that's all that's important.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-01-2009).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online