SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#249105 - 11/24/08 08:45 AM New "house" gig...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
One of my biggest clients gets me to play a lot for events/dinners in their corporate dining room. I do special lunches, dinners, anniversary parties, holidays, etc. The dining room has a stage, and I now leave some equipment in place. Sometimes I do a solo; sometimes add a drummer (my grandson) and sometimes I use a quartet.

I've set up a permanent 300 watt Yamaha 8 channel with 4 15's mounted on the walls. Use a separate power amp (an old Peavy) to power 4 floor monitors. Have 4 permanent mikes and stands.

Keyboards are an SD-5 on the bottom, SH-201 on the top, An old Hammond XB-2 on my right hand and a GW-7 on top of that for piano. I also have a nylon string (Giannini) and steel string electric (Parker) on hand.

The XB-2 goes through a Motion Sound 145.
The guitars go through a neat little JazzKat amplifier lined out into the PA, and the other keyboards go through a sub-mixer, into the PA.

Everything will stay in place. I'll bring the C-1 in when we do jazz organ (B-3) like material, and may take the SD-5 out occasionally for OMB jobs. I'm planning one job next week with just piano and vibes. I'll work with the head of the jazz piano department at a nearby University. For this formal event, we're renting a grand.

This is a long-time big client for communications work, and I'll feel comfortable leaving this equipment in place. The room is elegant and secure.

I relly like using multiple keyboards and guitars and adding different players, but that's a little "over the top" in most situations. Here it will work fine, and the budget allows me to add some of the finest players from the area, occasionally.

Man, I like house gigs!

Russ

#249106 - 11/24/08 08:54 AM Re: New "house" gig...
zuki Offline

Russ,

Good news! I enjoyed your song selection when I visited your performance a few months ago. A great mix of really popular top 40. I need to call you and get some of those ideas. I currently do not have enough material like you played - awesome.

Of course, no way I'm gonna bring out the acoustic guitar and play jazz style like you did

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#249107 - 11/24/08 09:54 AM Re: New "house" gig...
captain Russ Offline

Thanks, Jim. That night was an annual meeting for a credit union-one of my clients, so I was avoiding some of the more jazz oriented stuff.

Be great to have you come down sometime to hear other materials-sit in, if you'd like. I think it would be a ball to play guitar and second keyboard with you. The C-1 would work great!

I really enjoyed your visit to the "Bluegrass", although it was dark and you probably didn't see a blade of it!

Be well, friend.

R.

#249108 - 11/24/08 10:52 AM Re: New "house" gig...
Dnj Offline

Great news Russ...

Give em' Hell!!

WTG!

#249109 - 11/24/08 12:36 PM Re: New "house" gig...
captain Russ Offline

Actually have equipment that "lives" in three places...this rig at the dining room at a manufacturing plant, a B-3 and suitcase Rhodes at a country club and the old Solton MS60, Yamaha tone generator and "no name" controller I use on my little early (5-7:30 PM) Friday-Saturday night gig. Thinking of taking my old Clavinova CPV 65 to another club. The piano there is terrible, and I play enough there to make that something to think about.

Still have lots of equipment for one-nighters, but it's nice to show up, turn one power strip on and "wail away" on familiar equipment.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online