SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#244340 - 10/07/08 01:18 PM Tyros 3... More SA Voices...Accordion, Guitar, Strings etc. via Expansion
leezone Offline

was hoping for a SA Accordion..Bandoneon

will Yamaha release more SA voices via expansion, possible?

#244341 - 10/07/08 01:23 PM Re: Tyros 3... More SA Voices...Accordion, Guitar, Strings etc. via Expansion
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No news yet on whether the promised TVN voice paks will be able to be SA2 or not.

Don't forget, though, that any expanded sounds on the T3 will have to be loaded into RAM from the HD, so forget about instant play...

#244342 - 10/07/08 02:25 PM Re: Tyros 3... More SA Voices...Accordion, Guitar, Strings etc. via Expansion
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
No news yet on whether the promised TVN voice paks will be able to be SA2 or not.

Don't forget, though, that any expanded sounds on the T3 will have to be loaded into RAM from the HD, so forget about instant play...

How long will that take on stage while performing? I remember the Ketron super sounds took forever to load also like 4 min YUK ;(

#244343 - 10/07/08 03:42 PM Re: Tyros 3... More SA Voices...Accordion, Guitar, Strings etc. via Expansion
Diki Offline

We worked out that the T2 if fully loaded took well over an HOUR to load up...

Reports have the MotifXS able to load up faster (much faster) than the ES. One can only hope that this gets over to the Tyros line...

I've said for a long time that sampling is NOT a useful thing for the live performer, unless he wants just a few core sounds improved, because the turn on and load times get moved to 10-15 minutes or more, and if you turn off the keyboard, get a brownout, whatever, in the middle of your show, you are boned! (UPS's are mandatory in the sampling world)

Plus the any tune any time nature of the pro entertainer precludes loading in advance (unless it's just that tiny handful of sounds) because you never KNOW what you might need. I far prefer the Roland system of SRX board slots, where you can pick and choose amongst Roland's many (12+) SRX boards to prop up the area of sound you personally feel lacking. Yes, they are preset, but they are all available instantly, no load up times at all...

I wish my G70 had two or more slots, then I wouldn't be paralyzed about choosing which ONE I would like... there are just too many good ones to chose from!

#244344 - 10/07/08 11:41 PM Re: Tyros 3... More SA Voices...Accordion, Guitar, Strings etc. via Expansion
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Why the long load up times (SSD gives faster load times then 2 Raptors in a Raid array, as well as no moving parts)

Why do you have to swap boards for additional sounds and features (Load them all in at the same time)

Why limit yourself to just a few fresh samples

Why not stream large samples direct from disc

Why not have access to whatever editing software you like (On board)

We are in the 21st century now, and the above has been available for donkey’s years (On the other hand, change (And more advanced technology) is difficult to adapt too for some)

Why moan about the 20th century boards still being released (As it seems that’s what most users want anyway)

Bill

#244345 - 10/08/08 03:45 PM Re: Tyros 3... More SA Voices...Accordion, Guitar, Strings etc. via Expansion
Diki Offline

Why buy an arranger with all those things, abacus, if it comes housed in an instrument that sounds like poo...

That's the thing neither Wersi nor Lionstracs gets... Yes, OF COURSE we want those cutting edge features. But we want them ADDED to something that already sounds as good, plays as good, is styled as good, is supported as good, and is as affordable as a T3 or likewise.

In other words, we want them with no penalty. Currently, the penalty for getting that stuff is a loss of usable styles, sounds, arcane OS's, lack of third party support and virtually zero dealer presence in the US. Too high a price to pay, even if you forget about the upper tier price for them...

And, for God's sake, how many times do I have to reiterate that the interface speed has nothing to do with how fast the samples load up in HARDWARE arrangers...? It is the speed of the RAM pipeline. In hardware (rather than virtualized hardware, which is what the MS and Wersi's are) this is a LOT slower than the interface speed. There is no 21st century equivalent to computer speeds in hardware. It takes time to band MB's of data through these pipes.

MS and Wersi have the edge on that particular regard, but somehow don't think it of primary importance that the basic ARRANGER part of the equation be competitive with hardware ones. Sadly, as the market is displaying to all but the completely obtuse, the VSTi part of the equation is BY FAR of lesser importance than the basic operation and sound of the arranger itself.

The very first software arranger that steps up to the plate and recognizes this basic fact will bury Wersi and Lionstracs. I would not be surprised if it is Yamaha or Korg that finally make this product. For it is only they (and Ketron and Roland) that recognize what the consumer wants in an arranger as the BASICS is what they are already making. THEN the good stuff can get tacked on.

Not start with the good stuff, but forget making a great sounding and styled arranger

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online