SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#227766 - 02/24/08 03:23 PM Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
There are a lot of users who would like to be able to create their own styles. I think that most of us are willing to try a new learning curve, in order to do this.

I would like to know , what Arranger is best for doing this? There are programs available to help us but if we only had the keyboard to work with, which Arranger would be the best?

Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Gem, Others...????

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#227767 - 02/24/08 05:42 PM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
Dnj Offline

I would say KORG & Roland..depending on YOUR own personal experience.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-25-2008).]

#227768 - 02/24/08 06:31 PM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ron,
my 2 cents worth.
I'm inclined to agree with Donny, current range of Korgs definately ( can't comment on earlier models as I haven't owned one since the i2 series). My pa800 has a number of style creation tools,( can be quite a learning curve though) .
Roland's used to be good, ( haven't had one since the VA7) & they've no doubt gotten better.

Ketron I couldn't recommend, it lacks a lot of the editing/creation functions that the korg has.

Yamaha is fairly reliant on 3rd party software to get the same sort of editing & style creation functions available in the korg ( & probably Roland).

my order of preference would probly be

1.Korg ( I own a PA800 & sort of know how it works )
2. Roland ( 2nd, only because I don't currently own one, & I can only go on what I remember)
3.Yamaha ( currently own PSR1500)
4.Ketron ( currently own SD1+)
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rphillipchuk:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 02-24-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#227769 - 02/25/08 01:04 AM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you can afford it the Wersi OAA (Open Art Arranger) looks to be one of the easiest and most versatile, (This is by comparing the descriptions in the Owners manuals however, as I have not had the chance to try all the different manufactures style creation side by side) however some people may be put off as the manual runs to 60 pages. (Don’t be though, as the manual covers many other features besides style creation)
Also please remember that just like sounds, how the OS works is also personal preference. (Just because 1 person enthuses how good it is, others may have a different opinion)

Bill

#227770 - 02/25/08 11:15 AM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
mr9000 Offline

It would be VEry nice if it was said 'why' those preferences of keyboards for style making.

Give insight(s) on why those KB's are superior,perhaps then i could shoot them all down

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 02-25-2008).]

#227771 - 02/25/08 11:19 AM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
These answers says nothing. Tell me one thing an arranger can be done better or easier than with Roland new E-series or
G-70 regarding style creating or modifying.
Greetings
Peter

#227772 - 02/25/08 03:02 PM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Mr 9000,
I'll leave the Roland out, as i currently don't own one so i'd be speculating on what it can & can't do.

I'll start with my Ketron sd1+, 4th on my list.
There are 3 methods of style creation.
1. Recording in realtime, ie recording each style track from scratch. Have to be very acurate as there is no way of editing the track once it's recorded. Hit a wrong note, start again.
2. Creating a style in a PC sequencer. Midi the sd1 to the pc & record each of the style parts across via midi. Rather tedious, but at least the pc sequencer would have editing functions so that the style was right before recording across.
3. Copy Function :copying style tracks from various sources ( ie other styles or other variations) to create a new style. ie use bass from one style, guitar from another etc etc Only problem is, with the Ketron, the style tacks have to be of equal length or they won't copy.

Yamaha PSR 1500 ( I think the newer Yammies pretty much function the same)

1. Record style from scratch in Realtime & in Step Record.
2. Also has the Copy function, but it's called Style assembly, & you'r not limited to copying tracks of equal length.
If you need to do any serious editing though, ( like changing notes) the style has to be edited in one of the 3rd party software programs, most of which are free because they've been written by dedicated users.
PSR's have event list note editing , but only works for drums & Percussion in the onboard styles. Not surre about user styles as I found it easier to edit those in one of the software programs.

Korg PA800.
Realtime Recording & Step Recording of Styles.
Event List note editing of internal & user styles. Other functions like velocity change, quantize, cut bars, delete data etc etc
It also supports multiple time signatures ie 2/4 in vari 1, 4/4 in vari 2 etc.
& can also have a different tempo in each of the style parts. Interesting way of putting a simple medley together.

Copy Function. Copy tracks or style parts from styles & PADs ( similar PSR Multi Pads)
Always easier to create a pad. One way of using them is to create the pad, then audition it with various styles ie create a guitar rythm pad, mute the guitar part in the styles, play the pad instead, if it makes the variation sound different, copy it to the style, you're on your way to creating a new style.

Importing & Exporting a SMF.
You can save one of the variations, fills, etc as a midifile & load it into a PC sequencer for additional Editing.
Save & load it back into the style.
I've found it handy for converting my PSR styles without the need of EMC Styleworks software.
Just a case of turning the PSR style into a midifile, editing the incompatible XG drum notes. Slice it up into individual variations, fills etc & importing them back in to the PA800 stylemaker section as midifiles.
Same with BIAB styles. Create a midifile from a BIAB style. etc etc
Handy to for using an intro or ending from a standard song midifile.

It also has the ability to use an audio loop to replace the drum or percussion track. Called a Groove. It splits the loop up into segments, a midi note part & an audio part, if you alter the midi notes it can actually alter the the rhythm ( depends on the original loop)
A groove can be used as a pad or as a style track.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
It would be VEry nice if it was said 'why' those preferences of keyboards for style making.

Give insight(s) on why those KB's are superior,perhaps then i could shoot them all down

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 02-25-2008).]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 02-25-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#227773 - 02/26/08 09:44 AM Re: Creating Styles on different Arrangers...
mr9000 Offline

Highly interesting in-depth journey that was Rikkisbears!C'mon peeps,more of that plz!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online