SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#227500 - 02/21/08 06:11 PM Changing Times - Equipment Insurance?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Ahmmmm..... As all of us know, the insurance industry has undergone some significant changes lately due to Katrina and the challenges of "Weather Channel Ecstacy" (hurricanes). I don't want to beat a 'dead horse', so first I searched the posts on here regarding equipment insurance.

Based on the posts a couple years ago, I checked the Erie Insurance company and they only insure in 11 states (not FL. Also, my homeowner's insurance will not accept a rider for "pro gear" so I need to find another option for protecting the stuff I use on the job.

I've heard Erie and Clarion. Do any of you have any recent experience with other companies who offer musical instrument insurance for performers? Thanks in advance to all who can help!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#227501 - 02/21/08 07:40 PM Re: Changing Times - Equipment Insurance?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Can't help much Randy. I have Erie, the cost is very inexpensive in Maryland, and the coverage is fantastic.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#227502 - 02/21/08 07:45 PM Re: Changing Times - Equipment Insurance?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Thanks Gary - wish they insured us here in FL. I have USAA homeowners. No luck with riders. I have been approached by the musician's union, but am not convinced the price is worth it - I think there's a $150 initiation fee. Yikes! Gotta fund some guy's family to vacation in Key West for a couple weeks.

Thanks anyway!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#227503 - 02/22/08 06:52 AM Re: Changing Times - Equipment Insurance?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Randy,

My policy is under their Inland Marine Division. You may want to check this out with some companies in your area--could save you some big bucks. I'm covering about $10K in gear with full replacement value, and all hazards. This even includes drunks with drinks spilled into the keyboard. Liability, however, is a different deal, and this can be somewhat expensive if you don't shop around a bit.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#227504 - 02/22/08 07:53 AM Re: Changing Times - Equipment Insurance?
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
I live in Maryland and have Erie. Good rates and good coverage. I have equipment coverage and $1,000,000 in liablity.

Jim

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online