Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225190 - 01/26/08 10:56 AM S900 Jazz Funk demo
Dnj Offline

#225191 - 01/26/08 05:46 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny .. is that you on your new board ?!?!?! ...
t.

#225192 - 01/26/08 05:51 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I believe it is his understudy, Tony.

#225193 - 01/26/08 09:08 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I believe that one of the problems with demos like this is the tendency to always place the 'solo' or 'played' part SO much louder than everything else (plus the usual camcorder mic problems), that the arranger itself is barely heard...

You can hear the drums OK (and a nice groove it is, too), but that's about it. Everything else is so obscured by the piano part, it's basically moot. It's probably the commonest thing I hear in most arranger demos, the tendency to place OUR part so much higher than it would be if someone objective was mixing the thing.

Possibly one of the most useful HARDWARE things that could get added to arrangers is that the headphone outs could carry a slightly 'hotter' keyboard/acc ratio than the final outs. Maybe a knob to control the ratio, like Roland have for the live/ACC Parts that goes to the main outs. That way, we can hear ourselves well, and play to the 'more me' mix, but out front gets a slightly lower solo sound. Either use phones, or feed it to a monitor rig, but let the audience enjoy the arranger parts too, especially if they are as good as we THINK they are!

But this demo, well, I certainly couldn't make out virtually a single ACC part well enough to know whether it was tracking the chord input well, or not. Sorry...

#225194 - 01/27/08 08:56 AM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Diki ... I thought the same thing when I was listening ... too bad we can't hear more of the 'arranger' ...
t.

#225195 - 01/27/08 12:08 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I believe that one of the problems with demos like this is the tendency to always place the 'solo' or 'played' part SO much louder than everything else (plus the usual camcorder mic problems), that the arranger itself is barely heard...

You can hear the drums OK (and a nice groove it is, too), but that's about it. Everything else is so obscured by the piano part, it's basically moot. It's probably the commonest thing I hear in most arranger demos, the tendency to place OUR part so much higher than it would be if someone objective was mixing the thing.

Possibly one of the most useful HARDWARE things that could get added to arrangers is that the headphone outs could carry a slightly 'hotter' keyboard/acc ratio than the final outs. Maybe a knob to control the ratio, like Roland have for the live/ACC Parts that goes to the main outs. That way, we can hear ourselves well, and play to the 'more me' mix, but out front gets a slightly lower solo sound. Either use phones, or feed it to a monitor rig, but let the audience enjoy the arranger parts too, especially if they are as good as we THINK they are!

But this demo, well, I certainly couldn't make out virtually a single ACC part well enough to know whether it was tracking the chord input well, or not. Sorry...

Separate outs can achieve this...

#225196 - 01/27/08 12:36 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Even with separae outputs, the results would have been the same. It's the lousy frequency response of the camcorder's shotgun mic. Even on the best camcorders, onces used by the larger news services, the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired. I would have liked to heard the same performance recorded directly from the standard outputs. I'm sure the results would have been excellent.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#225197 - 01/27/08 06:52 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
This is why you can't beat sliders a la Korg. On-the-fly balance. And I agree with Gary, camcorder mics are crap.

#225198 - 01/27/08 10:00 PM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Camcorder mikes may be shitty, but that doesn't change how overbearing the lead piano sound is...

And Fran, other than your Mediastation (still got that?), there isn't anything out there that will put the keyboard sounds WITH THEIR EFFECTS through the aux outputs (aux outputs are dry ONLY). That's WAY too much of a compromise for just a little 'more me' in a monitor mix, IMO...

But our G70's have that nice little arr/keyboard 'balance' knob, which, if it could be routed to phones ONLY (and the regular 50/50 mix go to the main outputs) might solve all of this without denying us our effects...

#225199 - 01/28/08 04:59 AM Re: S900 Jazz Funk demo
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
This is why you can't beat sliders a la Korg. On-the-fly balance. And I agree with Gary, camcorder mics are crap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online