SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223369 - 12/25/07 02:29 AM For Roland E80 Owners
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not sure if this link has been posted before, but if you have an E80 you might find it useful. http://www.roland.co.uk/E80/
Merry Christmas

Bill

#223370 - 12/25/07 12:17 PM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California

#223371 - 12/26/07 01:32 PM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you have an E80 (or any other Roland arranger), THIS is the 'real' site you should visit...
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php

More tips, styles, and info than Roland EVER give you... (But you already knew that, didn't you )

#223372 - 12/26/07 04:46 PM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Guy`s

Thanks for that link "Diki" , I missed that one,

Now if someone would just describe the keybed , how it feels , how it reacts and interacts with the player that would be so great.

I would like it described in minuet detail , the way Hemmingway would describe a "pear".

"It`s sweet , with a slightly granular texture , although it melts in your mouth."
"A very good fruit and an experience I must try again sometime"

Just in case , thanks

Later,
Gary

#223373 - 12/26/07 05:27 PM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
Dnj Offline

Gary what have you done so far in regards to "REAL HANDS ON" experience if any in regards to deciding on a keyboard to buy after all this time?
I'd be interested in hearing your results in minute detail please.

#223374 - 12/26/07 06:02 PM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Gary,

The E-80 has terrific keyboard that reacts to EVERY nuance of the players technique...absolutely superb!

When are you getting one?

Too bad you don't like rubber buttons, or the S900 would be a good buy for you...Zuki, Beakybird and I are using them, probably far more intensely than you ever would, and the keyboard is performing flawlessly...and sounds exceptional.

And the Korg PA-800....many great recommendations from the pros here on Synthzone...so it must be good, right?

Personally, I don't believe all the descriptions and testimonials in the world are going to convince you about ANY arranger...no matter what it is...so, until you get to try....you won't ever buy....hey...that rhymes!

Ian

#223375 - 12/26/07 07:39 PM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
jedi Offline

Hey Donny & Ian ,

Thank for the help , again

Hands on so far , hey , well ok !

Have played the Motif XS and the Tyros once , no matter same key-bed , and I like it.
It has a solid feel , not H&B of course , but good none the less.
And the keys don`t feel like they would break if you wanted to do a drum solo.

From the time when I had the Y2k , all upper end PSR`s have had the lazy C-6 , so not only do you have a key-bed that really isn`t all that user friendly , the price is very right and it has some of the best sound out there and there is plenty of web support.

By lazy C-6 , I mean that the Y2K / thru the S900 , the last white key ( C-6 ) is lower than all the others , and for some reason that bugs me as much as the rubber buttons.

If you want to work on voices or styles you are going to need to press a lot of buttons , there is just no way around that , heck just to input your name is a pain !!

That brings me to the E-80.
I have never seen one , no where in my area has one.
That is a shame Roland expect to sell them ???
I have read all that the web will allow , and it does sound and read like a very good A/KB albeit grossly over sized for a 61 key board.
Another down side is no flash drive support , but thats minor.
A huge plus is that it has expandability , by way of sound cards m big plus for down the road when you want new sounds.
PCMCIA slot for Micro Drive , they are harder and harder to find and most are refurbish , although I could use an adapter and use a SD card , so there again , can be worked around.

All too confusing , really , if I was to use it has a tool to earn a living , then the choice would be easy.
Least amount of overhead with the best results , kind`a sounds like the S900.

But this board will be a home-KB only , for my own use.
E-80 one button guitar , where I have played guitar that would be another plus for the E-80 , and of course organ as well.

S900 , very good organ sounds , good usable styles multi-pads , all pluses for that one.

So as you can tell , I have thought too long and way too hard over a very simple purchase , but it`s not like I`m going to be buying another, at least not for awhile.

I must make the right choice , and I truly thank you all for your help and advice , without it , I might end up with an electric harmonica !! So thanks again ,you guy`s are great really mean that.

As I have said before , it will take time and maybe I`ll wait , but wait for what ?

Tyros 3 is a given , but when ???
I think it will be 61 keys and have just about the same design with no speakers , and I think it should have built in speakers , but can also see why Yamaha left it without , so you could had far better speakers than you would ever get in an all in one KB.

So that is about it , atleast so far.

Take care
Gary

#223376 - 12/27/07 05:20 AM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:

By lazy C-6 , I mean that the Y2K / thru the S900 , the last white key ( C-6 ) is lower than all the others , and for some reason that bugs me as much as the rubber buttons.

How very strange! I have had two 2k, two 3k and the S900...never had that happen, nor have I had a customer/client ever mention it...of course that's not to say it didn't happen to you.

Oh well Gary, sounds like you're no further ahead than you were several months ago...I wish you luck.

Ian

#223377 - 12/27/07 06:04 AM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
jedi Offline

Hi Ian,

WOW !! That is strange

So far every upper end PSR from the Y2K that I have seen or played has had that same slightly lower C-6 key.

Mind you it is not off by much , and most people would never see it , but none the less it is there.

I would say 1/32" to 1/64" of an inch lower than all the rest of the white keys.

The PSR-640 and 740 were ok , it started with the Y2K.

It really is nit picking , I`ll admit , but it is there.

If yours does not have that problem , then you truly do have a one of a kind !!

Take care my friend , and you are most correct , I am no closer today than I was 3 months ago.

Later ,
Gary

#223378 - 12/27/07 06:09 AM Re: For Roland E80 Owners
jedi Offline

O-- Ian ,

I forgot ( keyboards on the brain > LOL )

Thank you for your explanation in regards to the key bed of the E-80.

Later,
Gary  ( forgot my apple too ) 

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online