SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191967 - 10/15/07 06:21 PM OT - Shipping Nightmare Not Just a Keyboard Issue
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
I heard something at work today that alarmed me, which fits right into some of the recent discussions on damaged goods.

I work for the military and my team tests small (but expensive) computer systems that are used by military members around the world. Today in a status telecon the folks in charge of one of the "new acquisitions" told us that of 29 brand new computer systems received at the depot in the last several weeks, 14 were severely damaged! And what makes matters worse is that all 29 units were shipped in transit cases (hard plastic rollable cases with foam padding). Mishandling and/or dropping the packages is highly suspected. The depot we're working with has elected to "turn off" any further shipments until they can identify exactly what is happening to their computers. The computers are being shipped commercially via the same carriers we are all using.

So at least some of the posts we have seen on here w/respect to damages reflect what's happening elsewhere in the commercial transport world.

For all our sakes, I hope things get better instead of worse.

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 10-15-2007).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#191968 - 10/16/07 03:51 AM Re: OT - Shipping Nightmare Not Just a Keyboard Issue
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
I have a 2nd floor office with a window overlooking a parking lot. The all delivery trucks park right underneath my window to make deliveries in my building. I can tell you that it is routine to throw around packages when sorting them for delivery off the truck-some even get dropped off the truck to the ground. Also, when a large cart is used to carry the packages into the building packages are stacked by address, not size shape and weight. This could mean large packges are crushing smaller ones underneath. Now, this is standard practice for my office-I can't say it is anywhere else...

#191969 - 10/16/07 03:11 PM Re: OT - Shipping Nightmare Not Just a Keyboard Issue
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Seems like the word "FRAGILE" is considered as it was in the Xmas Ralphie movie, and the handlers think "why, there could be anything in there".

Maybe there is a difference in the mentality of handling obvious high-value goods in the U.S. vice Canada and overseas. We are too much of a "throw away" society.

Randy
---

"My computer beats me regularly at chess, but I assure you it is NO match for me at kick-boxing"

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online