SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#95732 - 08/23/07 01:21 PM Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just discovered it on my s900. If I layer 2 trumpets or trombones, (they have to be the same instrument on both layers) it creates a sound similar to a mute. So basically you have a lot more choices than just the typical harmon mute trumpet sound that is common to most all keyboards.

Apparently, the phasing present when the 2 sounds are layered creat the effect. Has everyone here already been doing this for years? I've created some pretty decent mutes on my XP-80 by some creative filter manipulation, but I never before thought about mixing 2 of the same identical sound together. I'm curious to see what happens when I combine this with my filter tricks.

#95733 - 08/23/07 01:28 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow! I just tried it on my S900...super mute trumpet sound.

Thanks for the great tip.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#95734 - 08/23/07 02:30 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I guess that is considered.."making good use of a flaw"..

#95735 - 08/23/07 02:45 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
jwyvern Offline

I do a fair bit of voice editing on
Ty2 although I've kept away from layering identical voices because "you can get undesirable phasing effects"- LOL!
The nearest I get is have say 2 trumpets panned hard to R & L (ie. not identical) but that gives a normal sounding trumpet.

For muted trumpet/trombone I normally use the DSP Talking Mod which does a much more convincing job than the default muted trumpet. Try it with the SA TrumpetFall.

Also use of filter can give a wider range of effects. Put Brightness at -51 & Harmo. at 44 on the above and you get a very soft muted trombone sound goo d for romantic ballads.

If the S900 defaults are set like Ty2 you'll get best effects by also pepping up the strength and touch response of individual voices using the onboard editor.

John

#95736 - 08/23/07 02:48 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
That's just it. Usually layering identical sounds will yield undesirable phasing effects. But in the case of these solo brass, it actually creates a desirable effect.

#95737 - 08/23/07 03:12 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It sure works incredibly good on the S900...and it will definitely come in handy.

Thanks again

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#95738 - 08/23/07 03:36 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tubas sound great as muted trumpets in the higher range too !

#95739 - 08/23/07 10:39 PM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
KellyJ Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX US
Having once played the trumpet, this sounded interesting. I tried it on my old PSR-740 (more on that later, I just got it and, being my first decent keyboard am still learning my way around.) Layering the same trumpet voice yields - a trumpet voice! Maybe there's a little added chorus, but no mute was in the bell. There is a muted trumpet and it's passable - you could distinguish it from a string voice which is better than the 20 year old GEM I have.

Perhaps this phase issue began with the 2000/1000 or 3000/1500 models? A 'feature' of the newer AWM sampling? Anyway, I know where I can get ahold of a real trumpet and mute, should it ever be necessary. --<

------------------
Kelly J

#95740 - 08/24/07 03:09 AM Re: Layering 2 identical trumpet or trombone voices to creat a mute.
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
That's just it. Usually layering identical sounds will yield undesirable phasing effects. But in the case of these solo brass, it actually creates a desirable effect.

Agreed- I should have confirmed within my post above that it DOES work fine with many of the brasses

John

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online