SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#113653 - 07/30/07 11:55 AM Playing catch-up...!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gotta take a break and learn how to play my new toys. Got a stack of keyboards and books and more are on the way. I opened the cartons containing the SH-201 and GW-9; plugged them in and haven't touched them since. Haven't opened the boxes for the Gator case or FC-7 pedal for the G-70. Got an interesting instrument; a Santucci 10 string from Hank B. It's a bass/guitar combo on one neck. Used it on two jobs, but really need to get up to speed. Bought a G-70 that don located at a music store in his area; opened the box to check for damage, but haven't plugged it in yet. Today, I bought Don's Midjay, 6 note pedal and controller. It'll arrive this week.

"Gentleman Don" will help with the G-70 (he located it for me and loaded on the new operating system), the Midjay and the controller. He loaded SD-1 sounds and will talk me through the process.

You folks are on notice. As soon as I'm through with a major project, I'll be asking a lot of questions and needing help. The availability of advice from people I trust is the only reason I've gone a little nuts lately.

Luckily, I've got a couple of kids that set-up equipment for me when I have back-to back jobs.

This will give me two portable systems added to the B-3 and Rhodes that stays at a regular job, and the two permanent systems that stay at other regular jobs.

Plus, I'm not selling my newest MS-60, and looking forward to the availability of the new Ketron next year.

Gotta love those new toys...

Russ

#113654 - 07/30/07 12:08 PM Re: Playing catch-up...!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I gotta say, I love you're 'go for it' attitude with new gear..!

I have to confess, I prefer to have ONE rig, that I use everywhere (and that to be just one keyboard, if I can) to having a variety of gear at different gigs. I would spend too much time going 'OK, how do I do THIS on THAT rig?' rather than just concentrate on playing.

The B3/Rhodes rig sounds great at a house gig, but I would probably want the same arranger for ALL jobs, otherwise you multiply the set-up work, creating registrations, organizing Music Finder databases, figuring out the best styles for each song on totally different equipment. Any time spent working out how to do the SAME song on different gear is time not spent setting up for a NEW one!

But I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with all the different OSs and features! The problem for me when using lots of different gear is the frustration that comes from NOT having the best features from each keyboard on ALL of them...

#113655 - 07/30/07 12:26 PM Re: Playing catch-up...!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, I have to agree with you about using the same rig..Sunday nights I play a G1000[weekday band's G1000]..Now you guys know I know the G1000...but I have to get a flashlight out to see[remember is out] what I am doing...

Now I have the E-600 to use on a steady job for the next two months...and The G70 for my "deck" jobs....

It takes a bit of time to get use to what ever keyboard I am using that particular gig..

Actually it is a pain in the neck...and would be better if I just used the best one...G70...

On top of that I am playing the MediaStation in my studio...

One board for all needs...was answered with the G70...why can't I just use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ, you are probably the only person I know that has new toys and didn't stay up all night immediately to play..

#113656 - 07/30/07 12:40 PM Re: Playing catch-up...!
Dnj Offline

Russ with all that gear you gotta have a few demo songs for us..

#113657 - 07/30/07 01:17 PM Re: Playing catch-up...!
captain Russ Offline

Donny, I won't EVER have demo songs done on an arranger. As I said before, I'll send you a rough on a film score. Just send me your address. Won't email or post film score work anywhere, because of the proprietary nature of the work and ownership issues. I shipped one to Nigel, Rory and Tony previously. The client, an automobile manufacturer, had no problem with me sharing the rough. Don't have time or interest in recording or posting arranger music or someone elses material. Don't do anything on spec. Film score work bills out at $1000.00 or more per finished minute, and the challenge of writing scripts, producing, filming, editing in addition to writing/recording the score is really satisfying. Get to use the finest area players and have a budget to make that happen. Rory asked once why I just didn't use the rough, since it would be mixed under voice-overs and no one would know. I would know.

I do 10-12 of these a year. They average 15-20 minutes per project. The completed films bill out at $50,000.00-$100,000.00
per project. Clients are all international companies. Most are what most people would call "boring" training/educational films. My satisfaction comes from completing multi-element communications programs on time and for budget that get the job done (oh, the paycheck helps, too).

Music is one very important part of the work...in fact I think the ability to do the tracks we do is a big advantage for us. But, it's only one part of the whole job.

Perhaps that's why I have no interst in recording anyone elses music as a stand alone project, and never wanted to try to develop a career as a recording artist. It's just too risky and time consuming.

Send me your mail address and I'll send you a C/D of the next rough I can share, with client's permission. Nigel was going to post the rough I sent him, but he either got busy or couldn't find it.

Every one of us approaches this business with
their own equipment preferences, style of music, level of automation, etc. This is my approach; I've been at it for over 50 years, and I'm going to keep it up until I get it right!

All the best on your birthday, you "kid" (I've got 6 years on you)!

Russ

#113658 - 07/30/07 02:08 PM Re: Playing catch-up...!
Dnj Offline

Russ...
I know what you said ...all I want to listen to is YOU playing something as if you were playing your house gigs every nite....it doesn't have to be arranger orientated...you & a guitar, Hammond or what ever is fine with me ...when you get a chance email me brother!!

#113659 - 07/30/07 10:15 PM Re: Playing catch-up...!
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Russ said:
Rory asked once why I just didn't use the rough, since it would be mixed under voice-overs and no one would know. I would know.

I so understand that. When I listen to the new kids TV shows, (when my nieces and nephews are around, not how I spend my time, just to clear that up), I always think about the old shows and cartoons when things were scored and orchestrated. Now they just use a keyboard, not even gigasamples and such. It bugs me. LOL

Someday, I will have the ability to hire whatever I want whenever I want. lol, the ever ambiguous someday.

#113660 - 07/31/07 05:29 AM Re: Playing catch-up...!
captain Russ Offline

Rory, my friend, you should be very proud of the quality of your work, mostly because of your ability and your imagination. It's an outstanding product. You've taken the realities of the recording business today and made the very best of it.

Always enjoy your work. You're the "real deal" around here!

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online