SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#132401 - 07/21/07 01:07 PM Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
For previous Roland VA-76 users:
Song Composer > 16 Track Sequencer > Utility > Set what you want > Execute > Brings you back to the Master page.
Track 10: I record the drums.
Track 9: I record the bassline
Track 11: I record a piano
Track 12: I record a guitar
Track 15: I record some strings

let's say my song is made up of those instruments.
All clear by now...from here i go and Quantize the guitar per example..
Then i set the piano Velocity..and so on and so forth.

Finally, i come back to the Master page, playback everything i recorded, and now the problem appears.

Some instruments, let's say (Guitar and Strings, are played back as piano. The default piano that is on each track. If i move the TEMPO/DATA on each of them they come back to the guitar and strings. If i stop, and playback again, it changes back to piano.

What is there to do ?
This isn't normal.

#132402 - 07/22/07 07:13 AM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Sounds as if you have a sysex message that resets to GM at the beginning of the sequence. Is there a system or global page where that is one of the options? I'm not familiar with the VA operating system, but I have worked with sequencers and there usually is some sort of command that will automatically reset to General Midi. I've had that happen to me and its frustrating to say the least.

That's all I can offer for now. Maybe Fran Carango or Donny (DNJ) could help. Good luck.

#132403 - 07/22/07 01:08 PM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
miden Offline

Loc: The World
claudiu, as you are recording on the inbuilt sequencer, it is almost certainly resetting each track back to its GS (most likely as its a roland) state via a file header...check in your manual for GS (or GM) reset..i find with roland manuals its quicker to use the index and just look for GS or GM..this should explain how to disable the automatic insertion of this sysex data.the information will also probably be in the recording parts of the sequencer section...just a thought, and i hope it helps.
dennis

#132404 - 07/23/07 03:02 PM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
claudiu Offline

I found and read about the GS Reset, but it just explains me what it does, it doesn't tell me how to turn it off..

#132405 - 07/23/07 03:08 PM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
miden Offline

hi claudiu, there must be an editable filter on the VA76 that will allow you to turn off transmission and reception of sysex..for all your sounds to revert back to piano (which is the MIDI default by the way all channels to piano 1 and drums on channel 10) the keyboard is certainly inserting this sysex message somewhere...if i get time i will d/l the va76 manual and have a look....i know its very VERY frustrating when stuff like this happens but it is fixable
dennis

#132406 - 07/23/07 03:29 PM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
miden Offline

try pages 201-203 of the manual,it explains there how to switch off sysex (including gm+gs) reception....see how that goes...from what i read, dont forgetto save it as a "midi set" so you can call it up again at a future date...
dennis

#132407 - 07/24/07 04:36 PM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
claudiu Offline

is it midi rx and midi tx ?

#132408 - 07/24/07 04:37 PM Re: Roland VA-76 Bad Sequencer ...
claudiu Offline

i go under TX FILTER, and i saw sysex ( on/ off ) i selected off.

i go under RX FILTER, and i saw sysex ( on/ off) i selected off.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online