SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#109754 - 06/29/07 02:04 PM "Touching" job today
zuki Offline

I played a first time gig today and was setting up my stuff usual. The director introduced herself and then excused herself to get the people. I was shocked when she brought in a bunch of retarded and handicapped kids - ranging from 7 - 20 years old. A little one, about 7 years old with pigtails sat right in front of me and smiled as I started my set. I was caught totally off guard and became extremely emotional - in fact, tears were streaming down my face as I tried so hard to play and sing........after 5 or 6 songs I pulled myself together.

The love from the workers who care and love those little ones was almost too much to watch.

These are the moments that make playing music worth every minute.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#109755 - 06/29/07 03:32 PM Re: "Touching" job today
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I thank the Lord every night for the good things He has given me that day ... and as a father and grandfather I thank Him even more in situations like that ...
VERY touching....
t.

#109756 - 06/29/07 07:02 PM Re: "Touching" job today
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Zuki, what an experience! That 7 year old had to be precious sitting there right in front and smiling, very moving.

#109757 - 06/29/07 11:38 PM Re: "Touching" job today
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Zuki when I sang in a choir we went to one of those facilities every Christmas.
I don't know who enjoyed it the most the residents or us.
The more mistakes we made the more they loved it.

One male loved to conduct us.

I have a son who is a quadraplegic from a brain injury sustained when he was fourteen and he is now thirty four so I was used to the situation.

People in this situation mostly have a special spirit and it is obvious that you have been touched by it.

I feel that they are closer to the almighty then we others will ever be.

Cousin Ken

#109758 - 06/30/07 05:21 AM Re: "Touching" job today
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Zuki,
Years back we were invited to play on a TV for a Cerebral palsy benefit. No dollars involved, just our time. After the third time they offered my 4-piece band a job for the children at their home base.

As we started to play the children came in. I will never forget the sick feeling I had in the pet of my stomach, they were in wheel chairs, had walking support, and some could not control the movements of their bodies. I found it very difficult to play. How were they going to dance? What should we play?

I few moments passed and we began to take a closer look at the children – They had spirit I have never know. Despite their condition they were happy, they were enjoying the music, and they let us know.

We did 4 more jobs, the guys in the band felt something very special, they were more than willing to come back when needed– (without Pay)

Zuki, Thanks for your post, it brought back some very precious memories.

John C.

#109759 - 06/30/07 11:16 AM Re: "Touching" job today
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Hi all,
you do not know how much i enjoy hearing about how these situations have affected you.
you see, this is what I do for a living 5 days a week. We have over 120 developmentally disabled adults in the day program in which I am an instructor.
Some days can be very trying. You would not believe. Other days can be so up-lifting and inspiring. I am underpaid for what I do, making under 20k yr, but the spiritual reward is priceless. Do not ever miss an opportunity to perform for our "special" friends.
Jim
ps you would be very surprised at the amount of musical trivia knowledge these people have. Music means an awful lot to many of them. Especially those who have little means to even communicate.

#109760 - 06/30/07 12:06 PM Re: "Touching" job today
Dnj Offline

Zuki Way To Go!!

Music is the "Magic Medcine" for all!

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#109761 - 06/30/07 04:08 PM Re: "Touching" job today
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
OldNewb,
I proud of you, you are doing what many just talk about. And you give even more of yourself by accepting a small finical reward for your work. I share your feelings about the Spiritual rewards. You are giving me incentive to get off my comfortable seat.

Thanks for sharing, John C.

#109762 - 06/30/07 04:14 PM Re: "Touching" job today
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#109763 - 07/01/07 10:45 AM Re: "Touching" job today
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
I always beleive there is hope for the human race.

Stories like this reinforce that belief!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Jerry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online