SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199648 - 06/21/07 08:04 PM Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
my local supplier has finally received their first shipment of Motif XS models.

they have a 6 and an 8 in stock along side with a Tyros 2.

tomorrow I am going in to trial these boards side by side to compare everything possible. i am keen to trade up from my T2 to a Motif but need to be sure it can do exactly what i need (I have never laid hands on a synth before).

I will have a full review tomorrow

stayed tuned!

Nick

#199649 - 06/21/07 08:15 PM Re: Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nick, watch the sharp corners on that green monster...It bites...

#199650 - 06/21/07 08:28 PM Re: Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd be VERY interested in hearing how the SA voices compare head to head with each other. There is some talk at motifator about how some of the performance tricks vary from T2 to MXS. My local Yammie dealer only carries the MXS, not the T2, so I can't compare myself...

#199651 - 06/21/07 11:20 PM Re: Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
Nick G Offline

yeah well this is going to be a very good opportunity to try them side by side and see If there are ANY differences in the SA voices...

I cant wait!!!

#199652 - 06/22/07 05:35 AM Re: Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nick I think you'll like the SA voices on the T2 better. There was a HUGE discussion on the Motifator forum requesting that Yamaha give XS users more T2 voices, plus there was a debate between the sound quality of the Xpanded Articulation vs. Super Articulation.

You'll find the Motif XS easy to navigate. All the voices are in categories, and the new screen will help out too.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#199653 - 06/24/07 12:10 AM Re: Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
Nick G Offline

Ok for starters:

Fran - I have no idea what u are talkin about with sharp edges? The motif does not have any pointy edges at all

The motif is so small compared to the T2. - has the exact same key feel, the buttons and casing are all better quality tho.

there was a Yamaha MM 6, a Roland Juno D and G right next to it and quite frankly they look and feel like toys compared to it. the keys on them were like my OLD casio keyboards. the knobs and sliders looked like u could simply brake them off so easily.

anyways the motif XS 6 - WHAT A SOUND!!! I was in the store for about 2 hours on this board and all i can say is everything is spot on. I couldn't and still cant believe how good the drums were.

it looks like It is not going to be a complete replacement to my T2 so I am going keep the T2 and add an XS 6 guess i cant complain there having the best of both worlds in my bedroom hehe

external appearance: again like i said before. the XS 6 is so small even thinner than the PSR 3000. it just looks 'quality' all over...

to the voices - i had a listen to as many voices as possible. the acoustic guitars (expanded artic) - they sound EXACTLY the same as the T2, but they work differently. for example with the nylon guitar, u have to press the button on the far left hand side in order to get a slide or a harmonic sound while hitting a key. but one thing i couldn't get (maybe it doesn't have it or I need more time) - when u play an SA voice on the T2 in legato mode, the voice changes... i couldn't get this to happen on the XS... maybe something i was doing wrong? the guy in the shop had no idea since the board only arrived last week in the country.

I just cant get over how live and real everything sounds. As soon as u press an arp or a drum beat, its as though u turned on a CD or something.

There is a Violin voice on there that blew me away as well, completely different to the Sweet Violin on the T2. it was so much more realistic. same with the electric guitars, the Grand Piano again is amazing. and guess what? there are lots of different piano voices to choose from lol

i spent most of the time listening to doof doof / trance arps and sounds and all i can say is i cant wait to have this board in my bedroom (2 weeks to go before i have the funds). using knobs and sliders just makes your world a whole lot easier and the music so much more interesting!!

the RRP of the XS 6 here is $4500.00 AUD which is a little over $3700.00 US.

The guy in shop offered me a price of $3500.00 AUD (~$2900.00 US).

just for reference the T2 is still $4500.00 AUD brand new.

i will be going into the shop again next Saturday to have another go on it as i have some research to do this week.

I will most likely be purchasing it in 2 weeks time

Nick

#199654 - 06/24/07 02:57 PM Re: Tomorrow - off to try a Motif XS :)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nick,
something to drool over while you're waiting. You can find the manual in the manual library as well. http://tinyurl.com/2pm7ow

Sounds pretty interesting. Workstations have come a long way since the last one I owned. (Korg O1W).

Have you shopped around on prices? the one you've got sounds pretty good anyway.
I used to get all my synths & keyboards thru Turramurra (except for Technics).
Sure miss living in the city, that place was my second home haa haa. Now it's a 2 hour drive to get there, instead of 5 mins.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 06-24-2007).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online