SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100821 - 06/19/07 09:01 PM Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
is it possible to use a Module for the T2 that will give it all the extra drum kits and u can just select them through the T2 for the on board styles??

Nick

#100822 - 06/20/07 05:56 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I imagine it would be possible. After we lost our drummer, we were able to keep the Yamaha electric drumset, they were ours. I started using the somewhat cheesy drums on my Yammie DGX500 digital piano. The styles and beats were okay but the drum sounds were moderate at best. So....

I brainstormed and realized that it probably transmitted the drum track on MIDI channel 10, so I hooked up the electric drum module to the DGX and set it to receive MIDI channel 10 and viola! Instant better drum sounds. It added a lot of depth and realism to the styles. I imagine you could do the same thing with the T2. Just set the module to the appropriate MIDI channel and go.

hope this helps...

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#100823 - 06/20/07 09:49 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nick , it is possible..Some instruments need to turn on the arranger out info thru midi..Also keep in mind , the Tyros2 will send out program change to the module..selecting it's determined drums..You will have to filter this change and select manually on the module..I do not believe Tyros2 can send different changes from the midi in arranger mode..

#100824 - 06/20/07 09:54 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You will, in all likelihood, have to edit the styles to send the correct PC#'s at the very least, and depending on the module, maybe note #'s too (and reverbs, and velocities, and...).

It's a good idea, but don't expect it to be painless. The days of simple GM compatibility are over. Most modern arrangers have much that is WAY outside simple GM standard...

Which module were you thinking of?

#100825 - 06/20/07 11:44 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I bet Nick is thinking a Roland module..

#100826 - 06/20/07 12:26 PM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

No Nick is thinking G70

#100827 - 06/20/07 02:38 PM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nick,
I think you may have problems if the midi side of things is the same on the T2 as my psr1500.
There doesn't seem to be a way of setting individual style tracks to use either the internal sounds or set it to play external soundsource. Not sure how you'd mute the internal drum sounds.
ie sd2 midied to psr, I have following options
SD2 plays all style parts : PSR plays Melody & Left Hand parts.

Option 2 PSR plays all style parts, SD2 plays melody & left hand parts but only the sounds on the main gm bank.

Option 3 SD2 plays all the style parts melody etc.

Also the internal styles can't be used. Yamaha drum mapping is not gm standard.
The bank & program changes in the internal styles could bring up incorrect sounds in a connected module.

I only tried using this setup with user styles. In the end I found it easier to just keep useing OMB software with the module instead.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#100828 - 06/20/07 03:14 PM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Nick G Offline

I am definitely thinking a Roland Module but really just for the drums / Grand Piano and Synth.

Rikki Spears has brought to my attention a very interesting point about not being able to mute the Tyros 2 drum kit. well what i want to do is for example:

Bolero Lento uses Live Power kit from the Yammy drum kits, i want to be able to change Live Power kit to a Roland Drum kit...

can this be done??? manually changing on the module is not a problem for me.

To be honest I love the G 70 now after OS3 and even E80 but i could not live without alot of the T2 features.. THE SA concert guitar is one of my most used voices. I feel Roland does not have a solo acoustic guitar voice as good as this at the moment...

Nick

#100829 - 06/21/07 01:51 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nick,
just be aware also that Yamaha drum mapping is different to Roland. I doubt it will play back correctly.

Check the drum mapping for the Live Power kit on your Tyros against the mapping for the Roland Kit you are planning to use.
The Tyros drum maps are in your manual & you can probably download a manual for the module you want.

My SD2( GM2 sound module) does not play the psr drums back correctly. Not only do I get the occasional wrong sounding drum, but the velocities are sometimes not right either ie the hihats could be playing louder than the bass drums.

I really only use the sd2 module as a soundsource for modified styles not original psr styles.
I edit the style & replace the drum track with drum tracks from my sd1 keyboard styles, this way I have half a hope of the sd2 module playing them back correctly.

One simple way of maybe checking, would be to create a midifile of only the drum parts in your styles & play them back via a Roland soundsource.

Also if I'm not mistaken Roland only has 1 Drum track ?? ( It's been a while since I owned one ) wheras Psr's use 2 Drum tracks in most of their styles.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick G:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#100830 - 06/21/07 02:06 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Nick G Offline

yes I actually was aware that the Yamaha drum kits have different mapping which is really strange???

but if I was to use the Roland Sound Module i would have to go and modify all my styles' drum kits to suit... that would be a lengthy process at first but i don't really use more than 20 different styles on the board on a regular basis...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online