SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100232 - 06/14/07 06:42 PM question for dnj
miden Offline

Loc: The World
donnie, just wondering how you are going with the op sys for your sd1+? im finding it a bit of a struggle at the moment as it is so different....what do you think of the midi side of it?
cheers
dennis

#100233 - 06/14/07 08:22 PM Re: question for dnj
Dnj Offline

Denis....I just needed to get reacquainted with the Ketron OS again as I have owned and X1/XD9/MidJay & now the SD1+.....once you get the idea of how the hard drive is utilized you'll be fine its not like other KB's & can do so many things.....you can get alot of help here on the Yahoo Ketron Group also.....
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/solton/messages?o=1

as far as the SMF playback I think its one of the best out there right next to Roland...the Juke Box feature makes it real easy to play SMF's & get the next song ready also ....I love the editing also.....easy to edit, change sounds, efx, vol, etc and re-save with the push of a button....the SD1+ is a super feature packed KB....its alot to take in in one shot....I would suggest taking time with each area, reading the manual, asking lots aof questions, & experiencing by playing & playing more.....

Is there something specific you need to learn?

#100234 - 06/14/07 08:31 PM Re: question for dnj
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Does the Jukebox feature change registrations, too, or just SMFs?

This is a limitation on Roland's I've been requesting them to change... They've got a great jukebox feature too (called the Set List) but it only loads and plays SMFs, whereas it would be MUCH more useful if it loaded and played UPGs (registrations) with Linked SMFs, as the UPG nowadays tends to take care of the keyboard Tones and splits, etc.. Just changing the SMF doesn't do this (although, with a workaround, you CAN get it to call up the Tones, but other things like split points, key touch etc. require a UPG change)....

#100235 - 06/14/07 08:55 PM Re: question for dnj
miden Offline

thanks donnie,
i am trying to get my head around the easiet way to re-program the midis i use (btw the arranger parts sound so good, i might even discard some of the midis and do the songs live)...i have them set up for yamaha ES at the moment, and i dont know whether to do it all on the PC (sonar) or on the keyboard itself?? one thing i have not found is an easy way to load a midi file!!! i am working on getting the PC cable which i think will make life a lot easier...i must put a suggestion in to ketron for them to look at going away from the 8.3 format for file names (korg did it with the latest OS, and it makes it soooo much easier to see files) ....also do you know if there is a way to access user created sounds?? i have the tables manual and it makes no mention of user banks?? or are these only for use by the, umm, ill use the korg term, upper 1+2 sections?? oh so many questions, i just want to see if i can work it out for myself first, but if i get REALLY stuck i will put my hand up for sure!@!@
i will check out that link too, so thanks a lot for providing it
cheers
dennis
PS diki, i think it does,if im reading the manual correctly that is...registrations they are called ...but donnie is far better equipped to answer that one!!!

#100236 - 06/15/07 06:45 AM Re: question for dnj
Dnj Offline

Diki....Good question....I'll check my sources and get back with an answer asap....

#100237 - 06/15/07 08:30 AM Re: question for dnj
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki, why be concerned about a playlist that would bring up a user program , when selecting a SMF..I think it is far better the other way as Roland does it..

We have a list of our user programs[performances]..name the user program , generic or song specific,..and link the SmF to it..

Now we have the option of playing arranger mode similar to the SMF we have available...or play the SMF and have all our settings[real time play] ready to play with the SMF..

Also , all the One Touch Settings can also be written, in this manner for each user program..

I much prefer this way[as I used the G1000 the same way] of use..

#100238 - 06/15/07 12:25 PM Re: question for dnj
miden Offline

fran, after having read the manual a little further last night, i think thats what the SD does as well, just uses different terminology and different method...one thing i have noticed is the amount of instant one touch settings (80!!) you can have that are available all the time, in song or arranger mode...you can link them or just select them yourself....its still a very "awkward" menu and op system though, and certainly takes some getting used to
dennis

#100239 - 06/15/07 02:50 PM Re: question for dnj
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dennis, I believe the SD1 one touch is actually a favorite sound group..To select your right hand sounds..

The G70's OTS is like 4 individual user groups within the style..It will save all panel settings for immediate changes..that is 4 completely individual OTS...This will allow any or all of the 6 layers[tones]..splits, effects, and controls for each One touch setting..

It can be very elite....

Let me recap how the G70[and E80] work..
You can select a saved User program that has all the panel settings and Style selection, also how the style will start and what intro, etc..This is the starting point..There within, are the 4 OTS, with addition settings, allowing for live changes, during performances..

#100240 - 06/15/07 02:59 PM Re: question for dnj
miden Offline

oh! yep i understand what you mean now fran, sorry my bad!
cheers
dennis

#100241 - 06/15/07 03:40 PM Re: question for dnj
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My bad! The G70 feature is called the Play List, NOT the Set List (which you are thinking is the User Program Set)

Now, I know I am getting confused between the UPS (user program set) which is a list of 144 UPGs, in the order that you chose, that you select manually or with an FC-7 (up/down), and the PLAY LIST, which is just a way to automatically cue up SMFs, with a pre-definable pause time, or a 'wait for go'.

Fran, unless you are letting the G70 play MIDIs unattended, you are going to want to have the Keyboard Parts, Splits, MFXs, effects, footswitch assignment, Assign Switches and MANY other things correct for that particular SMF.

Now, the Play List feature will automatically cue up the next SMF, but that is all. You will then manually have to call up the UPG that sets these. And if you have to do that, when the SMF is already Linked to that UPG, you pretty much made the Set List useless! So that is why I want Roland to change the Play List from SMFs to UPGs...

Sorry, I think I have confused things a bit here....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online