SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172216 - 05/19/07 05:37 PM What Makes A "Great" Tune?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
To me, simplicity is the biggest factor in the quality of a song, because if it's over the head of the average listener it's doomed to failure. Now, you could argue that the listening public as a whole lacks taste and is under-educated when it comes to appreciating music of a cerebral nature, but I think the key lies in disguising that complexity. Beyond the general philosophy, however, a great song has a magnetic intro, and ideally a powerful verse, chorus, bridge, ending, etc. My advice to aspiring composers is to learn great tunes from great writers. Strength generates strength!~QM

#172217 - 05/19/07 06:06 PM Re: What Makes A "Great" Tune?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
A friend once said, If they can whistle the song after hearing it for the first time it will be a hit. Simplicity.

John C.

#172218 - 05/19/07 06:15 PM Re: What Makes A "Great" Tune?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
There's probably as many answers to that question as there are people who listen to music.

I would suggest, lyrics with universal appeal....catchy melody (hooks)....very clear and powerful message.

I also would say simplicity is important.... too much overcomplication of the tune can take away from its universal appeal.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#172219 - 05/19/07 07:26 PM Re: What Makes A "Great" Tune?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Pretty much agree with Bruno's friend and Ian except that I rarely pay attention to lyrics. To me it's all about music as I've always preferred instrumental over vocal.

Taike

#172220 - 05/19/07 10:07 PM Re: What Makes A "Great" Tune?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But is a 'great' tune a tune that is publicly successful, or a tune that doesn't become a hit BECAUSE is is so of the wall and unusual (and great!)?

Perhaps you are better off asking what makes a tune a 'standard'?

There are so many different opinions on whether a tune is 'great' (some like simplicity, some like complexity, some like a bangin' beat!), but much more consensus on whether it is a 'standard' (there are many standards I don't consider 'great' tunes, but I agree they are 'standards'!).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online