SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#192649 - 04/24/07 07:51 AM Buzz kill needed
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
I have a regular gig that I use my motion sound MS-100 as my monitor and plug into the house mains. I run my T2 to a Behringer Xenyx 802 (http://www.behringer.com/802/index.cfm?lang=ENG) and then run seperate outs to the MS-100 and to the house mains using the main out and control room out. I have tried the MS-100 on each. I get a buzz (not a hum, a buzz) on the MS-100 on anything short of very low volume settings. The buzz changes as I move around or I reposition cables, so it is some kind of interference. I am using all new/newer monster cables and I have tried several different ones with the same results.

Any suggestions on how to kill the buzz?

#192650 - 04/24/07 09:25 AM Re: Buzz kill needed
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ebtech Hum Eliminator...

#192651 - 04/24/07 05:58 PM Re: Buzz kill needed
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you're running 2 lines ... one on stage, and one to the house - my guess is that the outlets are on different grounds. Thsi is always a problem. Try to make sure all plugs are on the SAME circuit, if possible. The ebtec stuff DOES work most of the time too.

#192652 - 04/25/07 04:33 AM Re: Buzz kill needed
RobertG Offline

Diki/Dave: Thank you so much for the suggestion and the background on potential causes. Dave, the house-systems electronics are across the room from me so I can not plug into the same circuit.

I did a quick search of hum eliminators at Sweetwater and elsewhere.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=hum+eliminator&tt=1

Any thoughts on the ART DTI vs the Ebtech? The ART DTI is a dual-channel device like the Ebtech, however, the ART DTI allows for 1/4", XLR, and RCA. Seems like a more versatile device.

Any reason not to get the ART DTI instead of the Ebtech?

#192653 - 04/25/07 08:47 AM Re: Buzz kill needed
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Robert...simply try a three way adapter[69 cents]...

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connec...m-hum-and-buzz/

Even with this warning I would still use the adapter plug...after all these years ..why change..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 04-25-2007).]

#192654 - 04/25/07 10:06 AM Re: Buzz kill needed
RobertG Offline

Fran: I think the paragraph in your link is the reason not to.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
"NEVER use a three prong to two prong AC adapter to fix a ground loop problem. These devices are meant to provide a safety ground (via the cover plate screw to a grounded outlet) in the event a three prong plug is used with a two prong outlet. It is always best to lift the ground safely at line levels."
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

"NEVER" seems pretty clear to me. I understand the "after all these years why change" makes sense coming from a guy still using his G1000.

I'll go with the box. I'm just not sure why not to get the ART DTI over the Ebtech.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online