SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123433 - 03/02/07 11:00 AM G-70 Problem with Octaves
Ruth Fergy Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO, Greene
Thanks again for those helping me.

Another issue is what am I doing wrong that makes the tones an octave lower than should be? The whole button sounds are okaye but everytime I go into a different style the piano (tone I use a lot) is sometimes right and most often is 1 octave lower than it should be. Is there a way to keep it from being an octave lower or what am I doing to promote this? Know I can press the octave arrow up an octave, but this is very annoying.

Appreciate your input very much.

#123434 - 03/02/07 12:43 PM Re: G-70 Problem with Octaves
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can save the octave setting into the Performance or the one-touch setting that you are using to call up the piano sound.
DonM

#123435 - 03/02/07 01:16 PM Re: G-70 Problem with Octaves
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Whenever you go from Whole to Split mode, the Roland assumes that, since you no longer have the bottom part of the keyboard for piano, it should drop the upper tone an octave, to leave you a more 'playable' range. Sometimes this is for the best, sometimes not....

The only easy workaround, other than practicing getting your finger up to those hard-to-hit octave buttons on the screen (what were Roland thinking, dropping the hardware octave buttons?), is, if you aren't already using all three UPR Parts, use one for another piano patch, transposed for the split.

For most lead sounds, it makes good sense to drop an octave during a Split change (that last octave at the top is often shrill and unusable), but unfortunately, Piano is one of the few where this behavior is sometimes wrong....

I believe a lot of arrangers have this 'feature', but perhaps some make it easier to defeat?

#123436 - 03/08/07 02:19 PM Re: G-70 Problem with Octaves
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I have the same problem with my good ol' VA-7.

BUT

This happens with SMF's!

I'd love to know why this happens with some SMF's and not others.....

(Not trying to hijack the thread BTW)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#123437 - 03/08/07 04:16 PM Re: G-70 Problem with Octaves
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It happens because of the sound (Tone).

Roland, in their wisdom, decide which sounds are more likely to be needed in a different octave when you change from Whole to Split, and unfortunately, it isn't always the ones you want....

The same weird logic applies when calling Tones up.... with no warning on the Tone name, if you are in Split mode, some sounds will come up in different octaves.

This used to be easier in the G1000 days, because there were a couple of physical buttons for octave Up/Down, but now they are on the touchscreen, in a very poor location. It's one of my requests to Roland for the next G-series that they return those buttons to the Keyboard Part section.

Who knows? Maybe they will see the light.......

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online