SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133280 - 01/20/07 04:55 PM Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I want to share a quick example with everyone. I wanted to show how you can get the same effect as the "Sweet Soprano Sax" from Yamaha.

I edited my own Soprano Sax. I then recorded a 16 bar loop. The first 8 measures will have the Soprano Sax with "No Real-Time Control". It will be a straight shot recording. At the start of the 9th bar I turned on the D-Beam.

The sax solo was record in (ONE TAKE). Mistakes and all It's not anywhere near perfect. I just wanted to give poeple an idea of what you can do by controlling the volume yourself.
http://www.esnips.com/doc/271e98d1-d853-4196-924a-5bfa6870c895/SlowJam

I'll be uploading a really good version of this later. Again just a quick shot recording for an example.

I'm still working on the Sax sound itself. Need to tweek a few more parameters, and do more indepth effects editing.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-20-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133281 - 01/20/07 05:08 PM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Fantastic, Squeak! It has Kenny G written all over it. Great job as always.

Taike

#133282 - 01/20/07 05:09 PM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nice job, Kenny...er...ah...Squeak.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#133283 - 01/20/07 05:13 PM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
squeak_D Offline

Thanks guys! The sound/patch still needs some more work.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#133284 - 01/20/07 11:29 PM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
That was BRILLIANT Squeak!!!

I agree with Taike and Ian that your clip had the characteristic sound of Kenny G. Try playing SONGBIRD with your custom Soprano Sax. I think you can nail it.

I like the way you are modulating the volume with your D-beam.

Thanks for the treat.

Tapas

P.S. You may want to post an MP3 recorded at a variable bit rate of 320kbs using a LAME encoder. It sounds practically identical to the WAV file while saving a lot of bandwidth and download time.

I use Audio Converter . The program gives excellent results.

[This message has been edited by Tapas (edited 01-20-2007).]

#133285 - 01/21/07 06:29 AM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
squeak_D Offline

Thanks for the comments Well I finished the sound!!!! I stayed up until 3:30am, but I got more than the Sweet Soprano Sax out of that time. Here's my list of my own Sweet Sounds thus far.

-Sweet Soprano Sax
-Sweet Oboe
-Sweet Contrabass
-Sweet Cello
-I also created a nice EP that I call "Wet Ivory"

a while back I created the Galaxy EP from Yammie as well. That one was really quite simple. Just an FM piano patch and tweeked EQ and effects.

I will probably still get myself a volume pedal too. I had a "really" good idea last night. Take my Sweet Soprano Sax for example: I could use the volume pedal to get the crescendo effect, and set the D-Beam to control "cutoff" this way I can use the D-Beam to add less and more "reed" sound as needed.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-21-2007).]

#133286 - 01/21/07 10:04 AM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Wow!! Squeak You have been busy!!

Please post some mp3 of each of your custom voices to showcase your work. The idea of using the Volume Pedal for the crescendo in conjunction with the D-Beam for adjusting Cutoff sounds fantastic.

Waiting to hear some examples from you

Tapas

#133287 - 01/21/07 11:09 AM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
MarcK Offline

Nice work squeak. IMHO the D-Beam volume modulation does more harm than good.

#133288 - 01/21/07 11:15 AM Re: Soprano Sax Demo--Solo recorded in ONE SHOT
squeak_D Offline

That's why I'm buying a pedal. You get better control over the volume with that IMO. I'm gonna set the D-Beam to another controller function.

I nailed the sound now. I also can get a very expressive volume change now using the D-Beam. I had to make a few more tweeks to the patch itself because I was losing some of the "core" sound. That's fixed now

It's not easy re-creating these voices. Ya really gotta love to tweek patches to do this. I spend hours on those sounds. I'm still gonna go back an even polish off the others that I created. I hope to have demos up in the coming days.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-21-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online