SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119165 - 12/11/06 07:54 PM Yamaha PSRS-500
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I was hunting around the internet tonight and I see there is a new Yamaha PSR keyboard getting ready to debut in the UK. So I'm sure this will hit at NAMM in January.
It is the PSR-S500. This is a new 61 key lower end model with Cool, Sweet and Live voices plus 150 Styles with 4 variations each (up until now, all have had only 2)
Here are the specs right from the site:

"The heart of the PSR-S500 is in total of 283 realistic instrument voices, 361 XGlite voices and 15 Drum /SFX kits. Yamaha's highly acclaimed Sweet! Cool! and Live! Voices let you play with all the expressive nuances of the original instruments, and make your performances come alive!

* Exceptionally clear and powerful sounds strengthened by high quality DSP
* 283 realistic instrument voices, 361 XGlite voices and 15 Drum/SFX kits
* Super-realistic Sweet!, Cool! and Live! Voices
* 150 built-in accompaniment styles
* Simple and logical panel layout

Built-in Sound System
Drawing on our long-standing expertise in acoustics and sound reproduction as well as your advanced technology, we've given the PSR-S500 a built-in sound system that perfectly complements the authentic Voices inside. Exceptionally clear and powerful sound in a small, portable package.

Live!, Cool! and Sweet! Voices
A huge palette of acoustic and electronically amplified instrument sounds. A blend of long, stereo and multi-layered samples is used to fully capture the natural presence, resonance, expression and vibrato of the real instrument.

Dynamic Styles
Everything you need to make high-quality music is right here - at your fingertips. The PSR-S500 provides fully automatic, fully realized accompaniment with drum, bass, guitar, piano, organ, strings, and more - with 150 built-in Styles, expertly programmed for playing a wide variety of music genres.

Easy to play, Easy to use
The PSR-S500 is an absolute joy to play. With the simple, logical layout of the panel controls and the full dot LDC display, you get complete at-a-glance control over the workings of the entire instrument. The Style, Song and Voice controls as well as the One Touch Setting buttons are conveniently located for optimum operation. In music creation, in performance - the PSR-S500 is remarkably easy to use.

USB TO DEVICE Terminal
Insert a USB flash memory in the USB TO DEVICE terminal on the instrument. It would let you save or load the registered settings and user songs created on the instrument.

Easy Performance with Music Notation Display
When you play back a song, the corresponding score will be shown on the display as the song plays. This is a great way to learn how to read music. If the song contains lyric and chord data*, the lyrics and chords will also appear on the score display. * No lyrics or chords will appear on the display if the song you are using with the score display function does not contain the appropriate lyric and chord data.

Music Database
You want to play music in your favorite style, but you're not sure how to select the best voice and style for the type of music you want to play ... simply select the appropriate style from the Music Database. The panel settings will automatically be adjusted for the ideal combination of sounds and style!"

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#119166 - 12/12/06 04:30 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
George,

I posted this information about two months ago. It looks like it would be a great low-end keyboard and has a load of features. The only thing it seems to lack is a mic in and some other minor features found on the PSR-3000.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#119167 - 12/12/06 05:00 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
It's a poor man's psr 1500 without multi pads.

#119168 - 12/12/06 08:27 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
It's interesting to see Yamaha now being more generous with including more and more "live", "sweet", and "cool" voices in the lower end keyboards, now that megavoices and SA voices are on their top arrangers. It's only a matter of time for those to trickle down to the low-end boards, too.

It's all in the marketing...and the consumer benefits from the technology. It's amazing what Yamaha is now putting into their low-end boards. They sure know how to provide great features at reasonable prices.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#119169 - 12/12/06 09:39 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
Stein67 Offline

I was trying to order one of these into the shop in time for Christmas, but Yamaha told me there is quite a bit of demand on back order....so I left it, but will get one in the New Year.

A very impressive machine, by all accounts, for around the £500 mark

#119170 - 12/12/06 09:20 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
From what I know here in the USA, this new model will be available in February. I also know Yamaha will release a few other new low end models at NAMM.
What I've also heard is not to expect any new higher end arrangers at this show. The Tyros2 and PSR3000 are still current at this show. I guess we will have to wait until the Summer NAMM to see if anything will show up.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#119171 - 12/12/06 10:24 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
RPdigital Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
This is Yamahas answer to the Roland GW-7 and E-09 keyboards. 9-track sequencer (8-melody, 1-chord) is also handy.

#119172 - 12/12/06 10:28 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
RPdigital Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
This is Yamahas answer to the Roland GW-7 and E-09 keyboards. 9-track sequencer (8-melody, 1-chord) is also handy.

#119173 - 12/12/06 11:58 PM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
From what I know here in the USA, this new model will be available in February. I also know Yamaha will release a few other new low end models at NAMM.
What I've also heard is not to expect any new higher end arrangers at this show. The Tyros2 and PSR3000 are still current at this show. I guess we will have to wait until the Summer NAMM to see if anything will show up.

You may not have to wait for summer NAMM, as any new models are usually shown at Frankfurt in April, followed by the UK Organ and Keyboard Festivals in April and May. (Although it might take longer the reach the USA)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#119174 - 12/14/06 11:06 AM Re: Yamaha PSRS-500
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Just got the Yamaha newsletter via email, promoting this board.
www.music.yamaha.com/psrs500

manual here: www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php?model=PSR-S500

Tim

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 12-14-2006).]

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online