SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#161348 - 11/29/06 04:58 AM OT - Johnny Cash biographies
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'm a big fan of J. R. Cash. I just finished reading two recent biographies. First is "Johnny Cash: The Biography" by Michael Streissguth. Second is "I Was There When It Happened: My Life With Johnny Cash" by Marshall Grant (his bass player / tour manager).

After reading the first and then starting the second, the first seemed to be more hard-hitting. But toward the end of the second, I was surprised. It revealed even more (sinister) things that the first did not. And the second one is the one "sanctioned" by the Statler Brothers (who toured with Cash for years) and Rosanne Cash, his daughter. Marshall Grant, author, literally, "was there when it happened."

The friend who told me about these books said "You will never look upon your hero in the same light."

He's right. Wow! I respect his music even more now and it's a fascinating look into the human condition.

Drug abuse. Simple as that. I am reminded of the books I have read about George Jones. Cash is the one with the somewhat holy personna. Even evangelical. But man, the things these books reveal. It's amazing. All due to the fact that he was a lifelong drug addict. Everyone knows he popped pills but I had no idea it was to the extent it was. A drug addict. It's a wonder he lived to age 73.

These books paint the picture of a man who was truly a saint as sober and the devil himself when high. Isn't it interesting how so many stars succumb to drugs/alcohol.

One time years ago, I had dental surgery. The doc gave me percocet. I tell ya... I laid in my bed after taking one and it was like I was floating. It was surreal and AWESOME. You could cut my arm off and I would have laughed. It scared me so much (that I like it so much) that next day, I gave the pills away.

P.S. My friend has now told me about a book that just came out about Willie Nelson and he says "You ain't read nothing yet!"

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#161349 - 11/29/06 06:07 AM Re: OT - Johnny Cash biographies
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill,
As you know, I'm a J. Cash fan too. I really enjoyed the movie, and it did show the abuse, but not to the full extent I'm sure.
I look forward to borrowing the books from you!
DonM

#161350 - 11/29/06 06:11 AM Re: OT - Johnny Cash biographies
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Bill,
As you know, I'm a J. Cash fan too. I really enjoyed the movie, and it did show the abuse, but not to the full extent I'm sure.
DonM

Ok, I see you are awake. I will bring them to you this morning.

The movie does not show at all the level of abuse he inflicted on all around him. A freak, a wild man. While high. Which was a helluva lot of the time for his last 50 years.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#161351 - 11/29/06 06:31 AM Re: OT - Johnny Cash biographies
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Bill,
DonM

I enjoyed the movie as well ...
Depending on who is making the movie, and their own 'agenda', we often do not see the darker side of entertainers ... the same was true with The Bobby Darin Story, where apparently Kevin Spacey played down the 'domestic abuse' part ...
But if anyone feels a need to 'know the REAL person' there are always books that will provide the gory details ... but again, even though the author may have "been there", there is often a personal agenda, even if it is only to make the book 'sale-able' ...
The darkest auto-biography I've ever read was of Art Pepper - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Pepper
holding up gas stations for drug money while having the #1 jazz album in the world ...
It is really unfortunate what some people let happen to them ...

PS Bill - "It scared me so much (that I like it so much) that next day, I gave the pills away." ??? ......
t.

#161352 - 11/29/06 08:02 AM Re: OT - Johnny Cash biographies
Dnj Offline

JC is a legend !!!!

"I've been Everywhere Man" really gets me goin when I hear that first Guitar Chord oh yeah!!!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online