SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133993 - 11/01/06 09:01 PM G70 Piano ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
What do the G70 owners think about the piano sound? Diki?
I don't like it much, but maybe it's because I'm used to hearing something different (Yamaha).
I've tried changing effects and it helped a lot to take some of the reverb and chorus off, but it's still sounds weak in the midrange to me.
Does the new OS change it any?
Just curious what others think.
I like most of the other lead sounds a lot.
DonM

#133994 - 11/01/06 09:03 PM Re: G70 Piano ?
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I agree with you, at the time I purchased the SRX11 Expansion card to get some excellent pianos.
However the G70 is now gone, replaced by a Tyros 2.
Keith

#133995 - 11/01/06 11:05 PM Re: G70 Piano ?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, but I think the G70 GrandX patch is one of the warmest, most natural sounding piano in a hardware keyboard out there (and I've got a K2500 w/piano daughtercard and Triton' with piano card, etc.).

The thing for me is, take OFF the MFX effect (usually an Enhancer), it makes the sound too brittle. And, yes, getting rid of too much reverb helps just about anything! And switch off the Mastering Effects while you audition patches. You don't get to really hear what they sound like while you are pumping them through a 3 band EQ and three-band compressor. The factory defaults are WAY too aggressive for me. Less is more.....

It's strange how we all hear different things in a piano sound..... I love the sparkle and bite of Yamaha's sampled piano sounds (a reflection of their real pianos), but I've never felt that they have much warmth, especially in the mid-range of the keyboard. Others feel different.

I am a HUGE fan of the Purgatory Creek website (http://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.html) where, on their Digital Piano shootout page, you can hear dozens of pianos all playing exactly the same MIDI file. It's a real eye-opener to hear them next to each other, gives you a more accurate way of judging them.

Try comparing the S90 samples (I think that's what's in the T2, or is it the MotifES's?) with the FantomX Ultimate Grand patch (basically, the same as the G70) and then tell me if you still find the G70 weak in the midrange, Don.....

The new OS only adds a Sympathetic Resonance MFX and +3db at 300Hz +1db at 200Hz and +2db @ 1.5KHz if you have the Upper1 EQ/MFX Link ON.... (and a VERY aggressive EQ and Comp settings in the Mastering section, which I prefer to switch off!)

If there is one thing I don't like about the G70 GrandX, it's that the very top octave sounds just a tad too loud for me. It's OK for an acoustic sound, but most miked-up pianos lose a bit up there because it's further away from the mike....

If anyone cares to, let's upload the T2 playing the supplied MIDI file to Purgatory Creek, and I'll upload the G70's version. Let's put them to the test!

#133996 - 11/02/06 05:03 AM Re: G70 Piano ?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Don,

I like Roland pianos To my ear even the pianos on the old E70 sounded good.

Regards
Alex

#133997 - 11/02/06 06:37 AM Re: G70 Piano ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Maybe it's just me. I rarely use the MFX either, Diki. Great minds think alike. . .
occasionally.
DonM

#133998 - 11/02/06 07:31 AM Re: G70 Piano ?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Just changing brand names....My KORG PA50 Piano sounds better to me than my PSR3000. Is this possible ?.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online