SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170560 - 09/22/06 06:49 AM XG Works Users & Knowers
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Does anyone know if it is possible to edit the style "pool" for the arranger function in XG Works?

By that I mean can I go collect a bunch of Yammie styles, go through them and select the ones I want to use and then add them to the style pool available through the arranger function. If so, that would make XG Works a wonderful song writers tool.

I'm SAD/MAD that Yamaha dumped this program which could have been brought into a really, really good one with just a little more work, but I guess once they decided to buy Steinberg they decided to quit supporting any of their other sequencers since they also dropped SQ01.

Thanks,
Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#170561 - 09/22/06 08:13 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
You certainly can Tom. Just place the new styles you'd like to use into a new folder ( or folders ), name the folder as you wish, and then insert the folder(s) into the "style" folder inside of the program. Or if you wish you can simply place your new styles into the existing folders. Either way it works fine.

XG works uses an .stx extension for it's internal styles, but it will also recognize .sty files. I have very few of the original XG works styles left in the program, as I removed most of them and put the remaining few I did want to keep all into one folder.

One thing to note. If you wish to use other manufacturers styles that have been converted to Yamaha's style format, in some cases, and particularly if they are raw conversions done with EMC styleworks, these do not work inside of XG works.

There is some type of CASM data that is required that EMC doesn't seem to provide ( I can't remember what it was, but Claude Veziau and I discussed this a few years back at another forum.

There is, however, a work around. You can take each of the non working conversions, place them into Michael P Bedesem's stylemaker, simply use the "Auto Casm " feature, and save without doing anything else, and the newly saved styles will work in XG works. Michael's program automatically fixes the problem ( whatever it was ).

A while back I did "re"convert some of the other manufacturers styles that were available back then. They are probably still posted in the files section of the Yahoo XG works files group. It's been awhile, so you likely won't find styles there from the latest kb's.

Like so many of their other software endeavors, Yamaha abandoned this one.. It's too bad too, because it had so much potential. If it even had the audio capabilities of SQ01, which by today's standards are pretty basic, it would still be a viable contender vs any of the other upper mid range DAW's. ( XG works stopped at 44khz / 16bit with no plug in capabilities vst Dx or otherwise )

Regards,

AJ

And mainly because I think I can type well when in reality I simply cannot, once again:

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-22-2006).]

#170562 - 09/22/06 09:36 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Tomcat Offline

Thanks, AJ!

What I had in mind was going to the psrtutorial site and downloading the known to work in psr's files, go through and pick the ones I want and then delete the ones I don't want already in
XG Works and thus customize it for my use.

It is a great tool for songwriters who don't want to learn how to play an arranger, such as my two friends who write contemporary christian songs and are always wanting me to do demo backups for her to sing to.

Tom

------------------

#170563 - 09/22/06 09:58 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
This is interesting. I used XGworks years ago and loved being able to lay the songs out with the styles on the computer screen, using the XG editor, etc.

My PSR-3000 doesn't cooperate with Cubase very well, but I bet it might work okay with XGworks. Maybe I could lay down some MIDI tracks in XGworks, export what I've done, and then load them into Cubase for further editing. Sound doable?

Is there any way to get the factory styles that came in my 3000 into XGworks? Would the intro/ending/fills show up and be usable in XGworks?

Thanks,

Carrie

#170564 - 09/22/06 03:51 PM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Tomcat Offline

Hi Carrie,

That's interesting because I have a Tyros 1 and it works great in both Cubase LE and Cubase SX-3, AFTER I got the correct "Midi Device Script File" (ie, Instrument Definition File) for it from SVP World. Now everything in the Tyros 1 shows up in the Inspector and I can choose anything I want to use.

I just arm a midi track, setup the Inspector for the sound I want and then use the audio metronome for countdown, and then just play the instrument in and, if necessary, later go back and "straighten up" things in the piano roll view. I'm so happy with it that this morning I ordered my upgrade to Cubase 4!

Tom

PS If you want to you can email me at:
tdavis125atcharterdotnet but the main thing is to find a good PSR 3000 instrument file for Cubase; try www.svpworld.com and look around or ask someone where it might be. You could also try www.psrtutorial.com and see if there is one; and look aroung on Yahoo.com

------------------

#170565 - 09/22/06 05:51 PM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Tom,
should actually work.I used to use it to create midifiles of psr styles before I bought OMB software.

OMB does the same thing on the arranger page. ie type in Chord progression & pick your psr style parts. Save as midifile.
You can then do a bit or further editing in OMB itself ( sequencer page) or export it to a sequencer you're more familiar with.

One advantage with OMB is, that you can also step edit the psr styles , means you don't have to discard them if something minor is wrong with the style.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tomcat:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#170566 - 09/23/06 06:07 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Tomcat Offline

Thanks, Rikki.

That's really good to know, particularly now that XG Works is no longer available.

Tom

------------------

#170567 - 09/23/06 06:12 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Tom

It seems as you still can get XG Works at http://www.musiciansnews.com/mastering/76/yamaha_xg_works_3.shtml

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#170568 - 09/23/06 07:28 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Jorgen,

Thanks for the link to XG Works 3.0

However, when you click on the BUY button, it takes you to the zZounds.com page where it says the product is no longer available.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMXGWORKS3

Perhaps eBay would be a good place to search.

I agree with the general feeling that XG Works was a fantastic product tailored for the Yamaha PSR auto arrangers. Specially when it came to managing the CASM track. It also had a neat Voice to MIDI feature where you could sing to a microphone and it would translate that to a MIDI sequence.

XG Works would even analyze your MIDI Melody Track, figure out the chords automatically and lay down a fully orchestrated backing based on a Style of your choice – Rock, Pop, Ballad, with Intros, Fills, Variations.

There was never a simpler way to go from humming a tune to a fully rendered MIDI file.

Tapas

#170569 - 09/23/06 07:45 AM Re: XG Works Users & Knowers
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Sorry. Should have tested myself.

I agree on your comments on XG Works.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >