SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#176699 - 09/09/06 07:41 PM Outstanding Nearfield Monitors – JBL LSR4328P
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Guys,

I just found out my dream monitors. I was at our local Guitar Center and decided to check out the new pair of JBL LSR4328P professional monitors. They had it hooked up to a ProTools console alongside a pair of Mackie HR824 Monitors and Event ASP8 Studio Precision 8 monitors. This made it easy to make quick comparisons.

From previous auditions I already knew the Event ASP8 out performs the Mackie HR824s. All three pairs are active monitors in the same price category:

Mackie HR824 - $1260 a pair

Event ASP8 - $1300 a pair

JBL LSR4328P - $1400 a pair

I played some known tracks. As I expected, the ASP8s easily beat the HR824. No contest there. However, the moment they switched on the JBL LSR4328Ps, I was blown away! It was like a veil being lifted in front of me. The stereo field doubled in size. The speakers just melted away leaving a uniform wall of sound with accurate, pinpoint positioning of each instrument. The depth of the soundstage was astonishing. It felt almost like listening to a multichannel source with surround speakers.

This is pure audio magic. Each time they switched back to the Event ASP8s, the stereo field contracted in size, and the mix sounded fuzzy.

JBL has done as astounding job with this design. The secret lies in the automated room calibration setup that comes free with this package. It consists of a Room Calibration Microphone that sweeps across the audio frequency from your listening spot and auto corrects the speakers compensating for room irregularities.

This feature alone is a lifesaver. It saves you thousands of dollars from expensive acoustic treatment of your room. The speakers are ganged to act like a unit with a connected Ethernet cable. They even supply a wireless remote. They even accept direct digital inputs.

One can easily expand a basic stereo setup to a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound monitoring setup by adding additional LSR4326P monitors and a LSR4312SP Subwoofer.

If you are looking for a no nonsense pair of active near field monitors, look no further than these new JBLs. My long term favorites - the Event ASP8s have been dethroned.

Tapas

#176700 - 09/10/06 04:52 AM Re: Outstanding Nearfield Monitors – JBL LSR4328P
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for your review Tapas.
I'll check these out next time I visiy my local music store, they seem very promising and have received some very good reviews.

#176701 - 09/10/06 04:59 AM Re: Outstanding Nearfield Monitors – JBL LSR4328P
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Beatiful Monitors!!!
Got G.A.S??

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY!

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 09-10-2006).]

#176702 - 09/11/06 07:47 AM Re: Outstanding Nearfield Monitors – JBL LSR4328P
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Just thought I would add... I have owned the JBL LSR4326P monitors since about April and have used them extensively on several recording projects. They are slightly smaller and cheaper than the ones Tapas mentioned but are essentially the same otherwise. The smaller 6.25" woofer in the LSR4326P is better suited to a small home studio like mine.

These monitors work splendidly and I think this was one of the best studio investments I've ever made. The sound really is as clear and natural as any monitor I've ever heard. The self-calibration feature is easy to use and takes just a few seconds - it spares you the guesswork of trying to EQ your monitors to compensate for room acoustics so you get an even response. I'm not aware of any other monitors with this kind of feature. Room calibration is essential to serious recording and normally requires a stereo 31-band EQ, a pink noise source and a good analyzer with a calibrated mic, not to mention someone who knows how to use it all properly. With the LSR's you just setup the included mic, press the start button and get out of the room (the audio pulse is quite loud). In about three seconds it's all done.

Another cool feature is the remote control which I don't know how I lived without before... it allows you to adjust volume of both monitors easily and to switch between sources, so I can now easily select between monitoring analog (my sources, for recording) and digital signals (my computer's audio outputs, for mastering). An included standard CAT-5 cable connects the left/right monitors so adjustments made to one monitor also change the other.

If I had to start a studio over the first thing I would buy would be a pair of JBL LSR4326P's and then buy everything else to complement them. Highly recommended.

#176703 - 09/13/06 05:31 AM Re: Outstanding Nearfield Monitors – JBL LSR4328P
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Have you tried these http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.a...Method=2&Search Phrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode= I use and love em

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online