SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176577 - 08/21/06 04:42 AM What about breaks?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Do you think music should be played during breaks or be quiet time? Do YOU do play the music for the breaks or if they have a jukebox, let it take over? How long do you think a break should be and how often? Or are you one who prefers to not take many/any breaks?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#176578 - 08/21/06 05:04 AM Re: What about breaks?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I feel it’s always good to stop music for a period. No other source of music is acceptable, even my own. Aaaaaah, The break is needed so that they can renew. and there are times when you should not let up.

The ability to feel the group you are playing for is prime. I do not have a set break time or playing time. I do what is required to keep the people at a high level. I had a night when I played for 2 ˝ hours without a break, they were going crazy – no time to stop.

When I book a larger job (contract)–Wedding ect---, It’s 40 minutes on and 20 minutes off. The option for continuos music, 55 minutes on 10 minutes off is an extra charge. Even here if the people are into what we were doing there was no clock.

An experience: I played a job 40 on and 20 off – After three hours of playing there was not one dancer on the floor. I was at a loss, I didn’t know what to do next. In the forth hour one young couple began to dance, the music was a in a swing tempo --- and they were dancing a poorly executed BOX STEP. They were a religious group – they did not believe in dancing.

Know who you are, and relay on your ability to read the group that you are playing for. In my guitar playing days I remember controlling the body movements of the dancers with my guitar – I accented they moved – I got crazy, they got crazy. Wow, what power, it’s hard to be humble.

My thoughts, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 08-21-2006).]

#176579 - 08/21/06 05:11 AM Re: What about breaks?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There has been lots of controversy over breaks, the length of a break, and whether or not music should be played.

Much of this depends upon the individual venue. Some feel a rule of thumb is 40 minutes of playing time, 20 minutes of break time, especially when the job is four hours long.

As for the jukebox, I've always tried to keep them out of the picture if possible--particularly if you're playing in a bar or niteclub. By allowing someone to fire up the jukebox during breaks you are allowing some drunken fool to put several dollars in the machine, which always translates into a lengthy run of music he or she likes to play when plastered. This ticks off the person that hired you because you can't stop the jukebox and go back to performing.

The solution is simple. Fire up a series of MP3s or midi files to cover the music while you take a short break. In doing this you are in total control of the music. If some drunken idiot still persists in putting his or her money in the jukebox, which sometimes happens, talk with the ower or manager about unplugging the jukebox while you are playing. They are usually very cooperative about this.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#176580 - 08/21/06 07:40 AM Re: What about breaks?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Back in my bar days, club owneres made some good cash on the jute box. Around here, it was the band's responsibility to turn the thing on during breaks and off before the next set started. There was an occasional problem with a drunk wanting to hear his tunes. We would just give him his money back. If that didn't work, we kicked them out. End of problem.

Now, I use all instrumentals...something like Forplay during breaks. Works fine in upscale resturants. Kiknd of sets the mood for my stuff. That's better than cranking up the house music, I think.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-21-2006).]

#176581 - 08/21/06 08:10 AM Re: What about breaks?
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
I agree with Gary's 40/20 rule with a band. For solo work I typically do 45/15. Depending on the night, I might do 60 for the first set and shorten the last set.

As for music during breaks, I think it's OK but you should try to control what it is. used to play in an 8 piece band that did big band stuff. During the breaks the band leader would play a CD with Count Basie, Ellington, etc. I thought it was a mistake to have the CD sound better/fuller then the live band. I think a small/light combo CD would have been more appropriate. Choose the background music carefully. You should control the entertainment from your first note until you start to pack up.

#176582 - 08/21/06 08:13 AM Re: What about breaks?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good advice, Robert!

Russ

#176583 - 08/21/06 08:15 AM Re: What about breaks?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I2 Ditto to what Robert said. - Scott

#176584 - 08/21/06 09:23 AM Re: What about breaks?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Most often, the timing,length, etc. of breaks should be determined by the venue and the audience.... if you are playing 'background' for a dining situation, you can pretty much time your breaks as you want ... if you are playing for a dancing crowd, then it depends on what the crowd is doing ... If the dance floor is full, I don't want to take a break, ... on the other hand, if you have played & sung uptempo dance tunes for 45 minutes, YOU might NEED a break ...
I usually find myself not thinking about taking a break, because I am enjoying what I am doing - playing and singing - ...
As for music during the break, I like to control that, and will make it as far removed from what I am playing as possible ... often solo guitar or piano recordings, at a low volume ...
t.
PS ... if you are a guest at a function or you are at a club where there is live music, how many of you time the sets and breaks of the entertainment? ... I do it all the time ...
t.

#176585 - 08/21/06 09:40 AM Re: What about breaks?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertG:

used to play in an 8 piece band that did big band stuff. During the breaks the band leader would play a CD with Count Basie, Ellington, etc. I thought it was a mistake to have the CD sound better/fuller then the live band.

Amen to that, nothing more embarrassing than to have a dancefloor that's been empty all night, suddenly fill up during your break. If that happens, expect a very short stay at that establishment.

chas

#176586 - 08/21/06 09:48 AM Re: What about breaks?
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
Hi all,

I usually do 45/15 but I never stop at min. #45 if the dance floor is crowded. During the breaks, I play instrumental music at about the same beat and same volume as we performed. This way I keep the energy at the same level as it was when I ended the set. It always works much better than playing some CD at very low volume or with no music at all. The audience gets used with the volume and so I can start a new set with a pretty high level of energy.
Cheers!

minutes, YOU might NEED a break ...
I usually find myself not thinking about taking a break, because I am enjoying what I am doing - playing and singing - ...
As for music during the break, I like to control that, and will make it as far removed from what I am playing as possible ... often solo guitar or piano recordings, at a low volume ...
t.
PS ... if you are a guest at a function or you are at a club where there is live music, how many of you time the sets and breaks of the entertainment? ... I do it all the time ...
t. [/B][/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online