SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#191266 - 08/22/06 07:06 AM How do you tweak a midi?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have some questions!

1. Got any tips, in general, on what you commonly do to improve a midi? Common things you come across?

2. What do you use to tweak the file?

3. Many midi's have a hand clap thing going on. Seems to me that this is imbedded into a rhythm track. How do you reassign that hand clap? And what do you reassign it to?

4. If you hear a guitar that doesn't sound right, how do you know which guitar to go to... you just try this and that?

5. How do you start the song? Do you use a footswitch? Reason I ask is some songs, I am playing guitar over the midi and bam, it just starts up suddenly. A footswitch would make that more seamless.

I thought I had a post on this forum about some of this in months past but I can't find it, so, I guess I didn't post it.

Man, oh, man, I gotta get a keyboard that uses a thumbdrive, not floppies! Last gig, I had styles and midis for Set 1 & 2 copies to floppy 1 and Set 3 & 4 on floppy 2, so, that worked out okay but heck, it took time to do that.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#191267 - 08/22/06 09:40 AM Re: How do you tweak a midi?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill . you definitely HAVE to get rid of the floppies ... besides being cumbersome, they are NOT reliable ...
As for 'tweaking', I can give some general ideas, but would expect the 'yammie' guys to give you detailed advice ...
As for 'tweaking', I play a technics kn6000, so the tweaking can be done right in the on board sequencer, and then saved by 're-saving' the file.
You can enhance the sound by adding fx to tracks, i.e., reverb, delay; if you are using a 'stereo' system, you can pan voices to different sides; as for changing voices, if I am not sure what I want to change to, it comes down to trial and error ... test it out, if you don't like it try another ...
I would imagine you could use a footswitch to start the tune ... I will generally have a measure of 4 'taps' before the tune starts ...
As I said, I am not familiar with Yamaha, but the hand clap can often be changed to a snare drum, or depending on the song, a tambourine, or, perhaps eliminated completely ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-22-2006).]

#191268 - 08/22/06 09:50 AM Re: How do you tweak a midi?
Dnj Offline

Bill..
heres a great SMF program I use that priced right & also has a great video instruction also.....many of us use it for editing.
http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online