SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#181056 - 07/19/06 11:40 AM eBay Hijack
ocomain Offline

This morning I came down to check our email and received a nasty shock...there were numerous questions concerning eBay listings that we never listed. The shock quotient increased considerably when I checked our eBay page and found 93 listings that had been posted overnight through our account!!! Needless to say, we QUICKLY got through to the Ebay Live Support page (after changing our email & Paypal passwords) and they removed the spurious listings & fee charges, and issued us a temporary password so we could access our account info and create a new password.

We are always so careful in dealing with spurious emails, so the only possibility I can think of is that we fell victim to a slick web re-direct or a Trojan key-logger. Once in a while I do catch Trojans in downloaded software, so that may be the culprit. Scary stuff, huh!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 07-19-2006).]

#181057 - 07/19/06 11:43 AM Re: eBay Hijack
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I feel you. My old account was hi-jacked. What was odd is the perps got my info well after the account was closed. So all they could do is post bogus auctions--they didn't have any of my personal info. Thankfully Ebay deleted all that at my request some time ago.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#181058 - 07/19/06 02:38 PM Re: eBay Hijack
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I have seen and reported a large number of these hijacked ebay accounts. They tend to find someone who has not used their account to buy or sell for a time and all of the feedback is too old to access to see what they bought, from who etc.

They then are able to hack into the account and play havock on innocent people.

#181059 - 07/20/06 12:00 AM Re: eBay Hijack
born2die Offline

Loc: england
[to beat keylogging software etc click on start the click on run and type osk. This brings up the on screen keybaord use this and they cant see what you are typing. It takes longer at the start but it is worth it for security.

tris

#181060 - 07/20/06 09:52 AM Re: eBay Hijack
ocomain Offline

Tris,

Thanks for the onscreen keyboard tip, will definitely come in handy!

Fortunately for us, we use and monitor our eBay account on a daily basis so we caught the problem right away. The bad guys picked the wrong account to jack, tho' I'm sure they won't lose any sleep over it!

Michael

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online