SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115798 - 07/13/06 07:38 AM Yamaha CP series
jeffc308 Offline

Does anyone here own the Yamaha CP33 or CP300 and how does it compare to the P90, P250, and P70. Also is it worth the extra pounds and smaller dimensions?

#115799 - 07/14/06 07:51 AM Re: Yamaha CP series
watsolo Offline

Loc: Edison, NJ USA
I bought the cp300 and sent it back. It is a very nice piano, but I couldn't justify the size, weight and price. I thought I wanted something with built in speakers for my studio. I quickly realized the speakers will never sound as good as the speakers in my setup and the piano sound will never sound as good as the software pianos I already have in my studio.

I ordered the cp33 instead and I have to say this is probably the best keyboard I've ever owned, for my purposes anyway. I'm a fan of Yamaha's keyboard action. I was just playing Yamaha's Acoustic Midi Grand Piano a few days before I received my cp33 and find the playing experience on the cp33 remarkably familiar to the playing experience of their midi grand. This is a much more professional instrument than the P90 I owned. The usb port is a big help when using my laptop live for my softsynth sounds and the master control faders, pitch bend and mod wheels are very, very welcome. I'm not sure yet if it's due to the new piano aroma or not, but this piano sounds and feels much better to me than the p90. When I'm away, I long to get home to play this instrument. The other welcome addition is the mono piano voice. I play through a Bose L1 system and my p90 stereo piano voice never sounded quite right through that system. Now my piano sounds good everywhere.

This piano is not as wide but a bit deeper than the p90. It's spec'd about 2lbs. heavier than the p90 but i don't feel the difference.

Again, love this instrument.

#115800 - 07/14/06 10:30 AM Re: Yamaha CP series
jeffc308 Offline

Thanks a lot man. Yeah I wasn't considering the CP300 since it's too bulky and heavy like you said. I've played P90s before but they just don't seem to sound as good as people say (preference maybe but I've played on all types of pianos and Yamahas for 12 years). I'm going to check it out tomorrow maybe.

#115801 - 07/14/06 09:42 PM Re: Yamaha CP series
watsolo Offline

Loc: Edison, NJ USA
I know. The first time I heard the P90 I wasn't impressed. Most music stores have it plugged in to some lame keyboard amp sitting on the floor and in mono. This piano does not sound good in mono. I went back with a set of headphones I was familiar with and then I got more comfortable with the sound of it. The sounds not bad. I think most people buy it for the size, weight and the action.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online