SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108614 - 07/13/06 04:26 PM Thanks to Technology
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Last night I had a request for "Autumn Leaves".
I used to play it from a fake book, but I haven't carried those in years. I didn't have lyrics and really didn't remember the chord changes. However since a rather large tip was attached, I ran a quick search on my laptop, where several thousand midi files reside.
Sure enough, it popped up. I transferred it to thumb drive, popped it in the Tyros 2, and held my breath, hoping it had the lyrics imbedded and hoping it was in the right key.
Sure enough it worked! I quickly muted the melody on track 4 and sang the heck out of it. Everybody thought I knew what I was doing!
DonM

#108615 - 07/13/06 05:01 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Autumn Leaves?! Brings back memories of 1988. I'd never been accepted into the (jazz) music major program in college if I hadn't been able to play that one. I'll never forget the head of music dept requiring me to play it (including all the RIGHT changes) off the top of my head. Luckily for me, I was able to pull it off (barely), but now, I'll NEVER forget this jazz standard. Funny how certain songs like this can conjure up such a lasting lifetime memory. By the way, this music professor, Mr. ( Elvo S. D'Amante ) remains among my most cherished & respected music professors I've ever the opportunity to study with. I often wonder whatever happened to him. He was equally at home with classical & jazz, and shared many fasinating stories (from studying privately with legendary French Composer Darius Milhaud , to playing in famous jazz bands in the 40's & 50's) with us, his students.

Mr. Elvo S. D'Amante:

My apologies for digressing.

Scott

#108616 - 07/13/06 05:10 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
a

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-14-2006).]

#108617 - 07/13/06 05:58 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
So let me get this right...a standard midi file saved your butt...Do you hear that Scott..

Don, it was a Tune 1000 file..Right?
It is a little slow and rubato, but it does the job..

#108618 - 07/13/06 06:50 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran, that was it. REALLY slow, but a nice arrangement. I would do it a little faster live.
That's the reason I have a ton of them on the laptop, for just such an occasion.
DonM

#108619 - 07/13/06 07:26 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don using any Tune 1000 sequence will work fine...They will never embarrass you..you can depend on their sequences...even if you never used the tune before..go for it..you will come out a winner..

#108620 - 07/13/06 08:47 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
I have a recording of "Autumn leaves" performed ba Cannonball and Miles Davis. This is one of the best recordings in my library.

#108621 - 07/13/06 10:19 PM Re: Thanks to Technology
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Autumn Leaves?! Brings back memories of 1988. I'd never been accepted into the (jazz) music major program in college if I hadn't been able to play that one. I'll never forget the head of music dept requiring me to play it (including all the RIGHT changes) off the top of my head. Luckily for me, I was able to pull it off (barely), but now, I'll NEVER forget this jazz standard. Funny how certain songs like this can conjure up such a lasting lifetime memory. By the way, this music professor, Mr. ( Elvo S. D'Amante ) remains among my most cherished & respected music professors I've ever the opportunity to study with. I often wonder whatever happened to him. He was equally at home with classical & jazz, and shared many fasinating stories (from studying privately with legendary French Composer Darius Milhaud , to playing in famous jazz bands in the 40's & 50's) with us, his students.

Mr. Elvo S. D'Amante:

My apologies for digressing.

Scott

So Scott will you be gracing us with your rendition on Teh T2 soon of Autumn Leaves

#108622 - 07/14/06 02:54 AM Re: Thanks to Technology
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by George V:
I have a recording of "Autumn leaves" performed ba Cannonball and Miles Davis. This is one of the best recordings in my library.

Yeah, and the piano solo by Hank Jones is one of the prettiest and most tasteful in all of music, jazz or otherwise.

chas

#108623 - 07/14/06 04:59 AM Re: Thanks to Technology
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don,

If the laptop was interfaced with the T2 you would have been able to save some time in copying it to the thumb drive, and the words would have been a lot easier to read in VanBasco than from the T2 screen. Damned eyes got old right along with the person that owns them!

Good post,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online