SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#214974 - 06/27/06 12:28 PM A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
to 3k and T1/T2 owners

1.What was the reason to buy/upgrade this hit keyboard?

2.were you yamaha users(psr 2000,2100)before?

3.did you go from other brands(which models?)(kn7000,korg pa80,roland va,ketron sd1, etc)

4.what was/were the features that beat the competition despite it's keys/hardware(features that make your life easier)?

(T1 and T2 owners can answer the questions too)

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 06-27-2006).]

#214975 - 06/27/06 02:33 PM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
to 3k and T1/T2 owners

1.What was the reason to buy/upgrade this hit keyboard?

The primary reason was the way it sounded, and the ability to eliminate floppy disks.

2.were you yamaha users(psr 2000,2100)before?

Yes, I had a pair of PSR-2000s prior to buying the pair of 3000s.

3.did you go from other brands(which models?)(kn7000,korg pa80,roland va,ketron sd1, etc)

I tried lots of keyboards before making the final decission, more brands and models than anyone can imagine. Each time I kept going back to the Yamaha 3000.

4.what was/were the features that beat the competition despite it's keys/hardware(features that make your life easier)?

The ability to do things on the fly made life a lot easier. I try to provide seamless entertainment for my audiences and consider anything longer than a couple seconds of dead time between songs an eternity. The combination of the MFD, registrations, and midi files allows me to keep the music flowing and the dancefloors packed.

(T1 and T2 owners can answer the questions too)

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 06-27-2006).]

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214976 - 06/27/06 02:53 PM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
1. The price was reasonable, quality styles and sounds, easy to use operating system, ability to change sounds and styles quickly for live use, also nice and portable and it's the first 61 note arranger I have ever purchased (prefer 76 but 61 is no major loss)

2. No, never had a Yamaha since the old V50 except for organs suych as HX1 and EL70

3. Didn't really go from another brand as still got Roland, had a Ketron SD1 and still own Yamaha and Kurzweil synths plus PC based synths/samplers.

4. Fast changing of sounds and styles which is a must for a live performer, OTS & registration features were a great benefit, hard drive recording and ability to edit sounds and styles to customise the arranger makes life easier.

Hope that helps

#214977 - 06/27/06 05:20 PM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I did gig with the PSR 3000 until the T2 came along, I do work a LOT in the Phoenix area, is one of the 2 Mecas of the american retirees, so there are lots of activities like Tea dances and so on,
Well, I used the 3000 for a long time until we got the T2 at the store, the diferences to me are very justifiable for my playing style and needs, I have to use a lot of the resources since I do not sing, also, like Craig UK, I came from an organ background, also profesionally for over 20some years, I did play the Hammond X66 and B3, in the keyboards, I have use the Ketron X1 HD, then upgraded to the SD1, then another SD1, I also got a Korg PA60, I like the Korg it has a diferent arpoach to the styles, but is very playable and I like it too.
I change the Ketron for the PSR3000, the reason, I had issues for the polifoly, that is only 64 for the Ketron....then, I could not deal with just playing at the store the T2 and do my gigs with the 3000, so, I got the T2 and I am very please with it.

#214978 - 06/27/06 09:06 PM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
MarcK Offline

I gigged with the PSR-2000 for around four years and enjoyed it throughly, as did my audiences. I had no real complaints with it in fact. A few months ago I sold it and replaced it with the 3000. What can I say - it was worth shelling out the $700 to upgrade. The 2000 sounded "great", but the 3000 sounds "real"! It's hard to say if my listeners can appreciate the difference, but I certainly do! The sounds and styles are simply significantly superior over the 2000. For those of you who have the 2000 and mulling over whether to move up to the 3000 - GO FOR IT!

#214979 - 06/28/06 03:25 AM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I had a Yamaha PSR630

First I upgraded to a 2000. The main reasons for upgrade then were ease of use, improved floppy disc handling, more polyphony, better sounds.

Then I got a 3000. Main reason elimination of floppy disc altogether and the availability of USB devices to expand further if necessary. The better sounds and greater polyphony also helped in the decision.

Should the 3k become unserviceable I'd buy another unless by some miracle I could afford a T2.

#214980 - 06/28/06 06:02 AM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Jamman

I bought first the T1 then the T2 - Main reasons are sounds, ease of use and extensive features all in one unit (Harmoniser, Lyrics display, Recording etc)

I came from Ketron models (XD and MS before that) which were great in their time but the Tyros models are more suitable for what I play now.

It's strange, I used to sell Yamaha Organs over 25 years age but I never really liked them at the time (I gigged out then with a Hammond X5 and Leslie 760 - which was supposed to be portable - haha) But their voicings have really improved over the years

I am not tied to a single manufacturer like some people seem to be - I have also had Korg, Roland and GEM arrangers (I used to really love the RA90). I have even gigged out with the top half of an early clavinova which was the first Yamaha I'd owned.

I just use whatever I like to play at the time. I'm as fickle as the next person and sometimes I need to change just to stop myself from sounding stale or because I just fancy a change.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

KF

#214981 - 06/29/06 03:19 AM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Hammonds definition of Portable has always had the unwritten tagline "compared to a B3".

#214982 - 06/29/06 03:34 AM Re: A question for PSR 3000 owners who gig professionally
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I bought the 3K simply because it's the best value arranger Yamaha do. I also have a KORG PA50 and again at half the price of the 3K it's an amazing arranger for the price.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online