SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162561 - 03/15/06 03:42 PM Won PA1Xpro
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I won the bid on ebay for $1860 from a guy in Tulsa. The ad said he'd take VISA.

I'm getting 3rd party mail from "SBW World Shipping" wanting me to wire Western Union money to this address:
Street:156A Southampton Row
City:London
Zipp:WC1B 5AR
They warn me in the email not to tell Western Union what the money is for. They want me to tell Western Union that the moneyit is for a friend.
Are people really that stupid.
I'm gonna call the guy in the morning. I called today his secretary seemed ligit but he wasn't in.

I sent ebay copies of the emails.
Please, any input is welcomed.

#162562 - 03/15/06 03:55 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
First blush, seems like a scam to me. I'd be super careful.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#162563 - 03/15/06 04:23 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Boo, I agree with Bill on this. The price sounds way too good to be true.

If the Ebay ad says they accept VISA then they're bound to that agreement. Absolutely DO NOT wire them cash, as you'll more than likely never receive the PA1xPro or your money. Paying by credit card is your ONLY protection, and that itself remains limited.

Good luck.

Scott

#162564 - 03/15/06 04:45 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
What' funny is I called a number for him earlier this afternoon and a woman whom I assumed was his secretary seemed legit. She said he was a famous Banjo player and that he and his wife played around Tulsa. She even said he played keyboard. She was going to try to reach him and have him call me.

A while later I called a second time and a man answered with a company name I didn't catch and said he definitely would not send Western Union money and that I'd best call Rick Bentley back in the morning. Rick is supposed to be the famous Banjo player.

I called a while ago and got the long drawn out recorded message with about 4 names to leave a message for. When Rick Bentley's name came up I left him a message to call me. We'll see what happens.

Wow! Ebay emailed me and said the guy's account may be jeopardized and not to send him any money and they removed the item and I can't even email him now.

I had a bad experience with ebay last year that worked out after a week or two but the two weeks were stressful at that time because I sent the money. Visa stopped the payment told me to send the item back and he I assume reimbursed them.

Is it possible ebay won't exist in some time. I mean it is getting scarier by the minute.

#162565 - 03/15/06 04:50 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Hi Boo,

Scott is correct. This is an outright fraud! You are wise not to fall for this silly scam. Thank you for posting this incident on the SynthZone forum and warning all of us.

It amazes me just how blatant these scammers are getting on ebay. Yes, and I do keep getting those fake PayPal emails telling me to update my account by visiting a bogus link.

Do not under any circumstances wire to Western Union. Always use your Credit Card on all on-line transactions.

Tapas

#162566 - 03/15/06 04:53 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Boo,

Maybe a google will tell you whether he's famous or not? And his secretary might be in on the scam. Just makes it seem more legit to have someone back him up.

Taike

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

#162567 - 03/15/06 04:55 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Dnj Offline

Boo.....what does his past feedback state?

sounds very fishey.....tell him you want to go pick it up in PERSON.....it'll be worth the ride.

#162568 - 03/15/06 04:56 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Dnj Offline

Boo.....what does his past feedback state?

sounds very fishey.....tell him you want to go pick it up in PERSON.....it'll be worth the ride.

#162569 - 03/15/06 05:05 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:

Maybe a google will tell you whether he's famous or not?

Google Results for 'Rick Bentley' & 'Banjo'

- Scott

#162570 - 03/15/06 05:07 PM Re: Won PA1Xpro
Scottyee Offline

Boo, you might try contacting Rick Bentley at the phone number given here:
http://www.hydraservice.com/cdsite/

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online